Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Betta imbellis

More
17 Sep 2015 19:09 #1 by apm (Andy McKenna)
Received my two pairs of Betta imbellis two weeks back , lovely healthy fish but I'm nearly certain it is one male and three female. Sent by Seahorse to Donegal so will have to see how they develop . Also don't think they are pure bred , nice blue colour now they have settled but no sign of any red markings , this could change in time ....... They certainly where not used to flake food , but after a week careful feeding they are now eating flake and live food.
Put male and best female in 30 ltr .tank and they are developing well ,other "pair" are in 180 ltr.tank with Danios and Corydoras , wouldn't touch flake with other top feeders but pushed in to a scrum of 10 corydoras to eat Tetramin sinking tablets . In no way are they a shy or retiring fish , investigate everything including my hand and arm while cleaning tank . They are now also taking flake and live food .Plenty of hiding places but they do not hide away .
Was talking to a betta keeper in Malaya and he reckons most "wild caught" fish are bred in large outdoor ponds and it is extremely hard to get pure strains of imbellis .
No photos yet , hope to get a grandchild to take some soon and will attempt to post them on here .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2015 21:33 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Betta imbellis
Nice little update there APM, I think the problem here is a so prevalent one.
The retailer orders a certain fish, in this case WILD Bettas, but is totally at the mercy of their supplier, This is an unfortunate fact of life in the retail Fish business. If the supplier sends out tank-bred fish it's very difficult for the retailer to prove - especially in the case of Wild Bettas - that they are anything other than what they were supplied as.
With a bit of luck your fish will develop some red in the fins. Unfortunately all my remaining Imbellis are females - I've been looking out for a decent male for months. I really don't want to go along the transshipper route again, it just works out too expensive.
John
ps getting a grandchild to photograph your fish - love the idea.
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
18 Sep 2015 19:58 - 18 Sep 2015 20:36 #3 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Replied by Eric (Eric Corcoran) on topic Betta imbellis
Imbellis come from a wide area and do have small differences from place to place. Did you get a location by any chance ? Any pictures ? Plus 2 weeks is not long. Once they are really settled in and ready for breeding thats when the real colours will come out

Eric
Last edit: 18 Sep 2015 20:36 by Eric (Eric Corcoran).

More
19 Sep 2015 19:16 #4 by apm (Andy McKenna)
Replied by apm (Andy McKenna) on topic Betta imbellis
No photos yet , hopefully later this week . Fish still doing well . According to the International Betta Congress website their are the following -
Betta imbellis , imbellis Naratiwat , imbellis Krabi ,imbellis Ko Sumui , all slightly different, presumably named after areas they are found .
They all , at least the males , have some red on fins , getting scarce in the wild and an attempt is being made to build up pure types for captive breeding programmes . Site is American based but has an International following .

Looking forward to seeing how mine develop over the next couple of months , live food should help development .
Was reading on the Malaysian Betta website , about wild caught fish , seems to be a scarcity compared to 10 - 20 years ago .

Does anyone know of anyone keeping / breeding imbellis in Ireland ? Be interesting to compare notes .

(grindal worms are doing great Eric )

More
19 Sep 2015 19:28 #5 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Replied by Eric (Eric Corcoran) on topic Betta imbellis
You should have them worms for a long time now once they're established. I'm using dog nuts to feed them at the moment.
Back to the fish. Are you on Facebook ? If so get yourself onto the group anabantoid association of great britain.
There's plenty more areas in which they come from including Cambodia and so on. Will know mmore once we get a picture.
Would like to keep these fish myself at some stage

Eric

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds