Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Starting my Betta adventure

More
23 Nov 2015 15:14 #1 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
So I have been wanting to get into Betta s for quite some time now.

I got an early Christmas present of an aqua one Betta trio its up and running since Saturday using Ada Amazonia substrate and so far just some bog wood and rocks as decor.

I have never kept Betta fish before so I am very excited.

Any tips or advice on these little beauty's would be great.

Regards
Craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2015 16:32 #2 by trent (trent)
is it wild bettas your after or splendas ?

More
23 Nov 2015 21:59 #3 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Hi Craig,
Good to hear another person getting into bettas so to speak. I presume with the aqua one trio it's the domestic bettas your after as opposed to the wilds. Just make sure the flow from the filter is low with good clean water and they'll be fine. They're happy in a range of parameters once it's stable so normal tap water is fine. I think that ada leeches ammonia at the start so be careful. If you're near seahorse call in and see John he has some crackers for sale from his own collection. Any other questions just ask

Eric

More
24 Nov 2015 11:37 #4 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Yeah going to go with the splenda s yeah Eric I will let it cycle for a good while make sure all the ammonia has leeched out sometime after Christmas put some betta s in.

I was talking to john briefly on Saturday I bought the tank from seahorse.

Must give him a ring

More
24 Nov 2015 12:33 #5 by trent (trent)
was at johns a few weeks back hes a huge selection of bettas to choose from and if he doesnt have what your after he can order them in. just a bit of advice i learn is that if you feed them too mich tetra prima or jbl grano they bloat badly

More
01 Dec 2015 19:26 #6 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
So there diet should be mostly live or frozen food ??

Here is a picture of the tank it's a work in progress still need to add some plants.

Regards Craig

More
01 Dec 2015 19:34 #7 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)

More
01 Dec 2015 19:41 #8 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
I seen some bettas with this colouration in seahorse and if available I will 100% going with these
File Attachment:

More
01 Dec 2015 19:55 #9 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Hi Craig ,
Food wise keep the frozen and live food as a treat for them. A good quality flake and pellet will be fine. Get something like tetra pro colour and something with high protein and they'll look great.
The tank looks a nice setup. Is the glass dividers clear ? If it is find a way to blacken them out as if males constantly see each other it'll stress them out.
That fish in the picture looks like a metallic green half moon. You might get lucky in seahorse. If not try find some breeders. I myself won't have any halfmoons ready until end of January or so

Eric

More
01 Dec 2015 19:59 #10 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Although I do have a male here that im not going to breed if you're interested in his colour

Attachment IMG_1305.jpg not found

Eric
Attachments:

More
01 Dec 2015 20:11 #11 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Hi Eric the dividers are black plastic.

I have tetra pro colour I am feeding my tanganyikan cichlids with it.

Cool frozen and live foods as a treat.

Lovely little fish Eric I don't plan on adding fish until January to make sure all the ammonia leeches out of the Ada Amazonia.

Any suggestions on low maintence plants as I don't want to use ferts ect

More
01 Dec 2015 21:02 #12 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
I find anubias an excellent low maintenance plant. Also hornwort is a great floating planta a well

Eric

More
01 Dec 2015 22:11 #13 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
+1 on anubias. and java fern too.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
07 Dec 2015 18:55 #14 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Added some plants tonight

Plants wouldn't usually be my strong point so I hope these work out

File Attachment:

Added some Java fern and some Anubis

Regards
Craig

More
07 Dec 2015 19:22 #15 by DiscoStu (Marie Curie)
Looks great, best of luck with it.

More
29 Dec 2015 16:52 - 29 Dec 2015 16:56 #16 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Bought 3 lovely bettas today they seem to be settleing in great 2 females and 1 male dragon scale half moons I wanted metallic green half moons but I couldn't resist these dragon scale s when I seen them.

File Attachment:

[URL=http://s761.photobucket.com/user/fishmad1234/media/betta%20tank/7E39A1BD-3C0F-4EB0-8717-

A5BCD561422B.jpg.html] [/URL]
File Attachment:

Last edit: 29 Dec 2015 16:56 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle).

More
29 Dec 2015 20:58 #17 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Very nice indeed. Although your male is a hmpk and not a hm
You'll have to try your hand at breeding them soon

More
30 Dec 2015 11:40 #18 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
I will have to master the basics like identifying the type of fish I have first before I think about breeding :crazy:

Craig

More
11 Jan 2016 19:55 - 11 Jan 2016 19:56 #19 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
So my bettas seem to be settling in great they have a great appiate and are displaying great colours.

Just thought I would share some pictures of my male dragonscale [IMG]http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx251/fishmad1234/betta%20tank/8AB3A66D-7FAF-4A20-9D3D- EB2EAD9EC7C0_1.jpg[/img]

File Attachment:

Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 19:56 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle).

More
11 Jan 2016 21:06 #20 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
He's a cracker. They come into their own when they flare

Eric

More
11 Jan 2016 21:48 #21 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Thanks for the tip with the mirror Eric

Yeah he looks great im over the moon with him hopefully breed him with one of the females in the near future

More
11 Jan 2016 22:04 #22 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Now you're talking

More
11 Jan 2016 22:37 #23 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
He is busy making bubble nests so I am going to add the butt of a stirofoam cup and let him make a bigger nest then feed them up on bloodworm and then introduce the female in a see through jar see if he tickles her fancie hahaha

More
14 Jan 2016 14:11 #24 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Looks like some one has been busy making a bubble nest
File Attachment:

More
14 Jan 2016 21:46 #25 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Exciting news Just rang the wife to check on the tank while I'm on the nite shift the male has built a huge bubble nest right beside the container where the female is she had the lines down her body when I was leaving for work so hopefully fingers crossed if I release her in the morning they will spawn.

Regards
Craig

More
02 Feb 2016 17:31 #26 by alan 64 (alan)
Looking forward to see how this goes for u mate

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds