Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Chocolate gourami breeding behaviour

More
10 Jun 2016 16:05 #1 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
About 2 months ago I bought a pair of chocolate gouramis (I can't tell the difference between them but Darren in seahorse said he was sure they were a pair) one of them has a pointer head.

Over the last 2 days I have noticed one displaying and flashing towards the other one persume male showing off to the female(I hope anyway.

Has anyone on here bred them before they keep circling around each other in open water one will display back a bit but then put there fins back in and continue to circle.

Any tips and advice welcome

Regards
Craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2016 17:28 #2 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
You might be in luck. When I kept them in years gone bye I never managed to breed them, it was a difficult enough job just trying to keep them alive then. I'm sure Ian might know.
Bill

More
10 Jun 2016 17:37 #3 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)

Very short badly shot video

Regards
Craig

More
10 Jun 2016 17:38 #4 by paulv (paul vickers)
I had pearl gourami breed years back and yours seems to be courting. Hopefully they will breed for you :)

More
10 Jun 2016 17:40 #5 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
It's very back and fourth like that they circle display then swim away then swim back in circle and display.

Regards
Craig

More
10 Jun 2016 17:41 #6 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)

I had pearl gourami breed years back and yours seems to be courting. Hopefully they will breed for you :)

Hopefully Paul they seem very healthy and happy very shy but seem to be a lot more actively swimming around rather then shying away.

Regards
Craig

More
10 Jun 2016 17:49 #7 by paulv (paul vickers)
From what little I know of the chocolate gourami they are mouth brooders and very temp sensitive at breeding time. The pearl build a bubble nest. If yours don't succeed first time then I'd set them up in their own tank with lots of plants.

More
10 Jun 2016 17:53 #8 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
See I have them in with endlers and the hole top of the tank is covered in frogbit and duck weed and I keep seeing little black things darting around the roots 2 females dropped already so I persume it's the endler fry I have a lot of leaf litter in the tank and bog wood so there is plenty of hiding spots around the tank.

Regards
Craig

More
10 Jun 2016 18:06 - 10 Jun 2016 18:06 #9 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
It's difficult to tell if they are just facing off or practicing. Keep an eye on.
Bill
Last edit: 10 Jun 2016 18:06 by Bill (Bill Hunter).

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds