Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Betta

More
29 Dec 2017 14:44 #1 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Betta was created by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Just a couple of photos of what's going on in my tanks.

Betta coccina:

unfortunately the eggs/youngsters have vanished but he is pursuing the female with vigour.

Betta rutilans:

I've been growing these on for several months now and the two females are coming into condition and checking out the male's cave.

Other fish are beginning to show interest in pairing and spawning, I'll take more photos as and when I can get them to sit still long enough.
Bill
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2017 17:04 #2 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic Betta
Realy nice fish bill i must say i like the look of tem better than the usual bettas, now u say the females are showing interest in the males cave so thes also breed differently do they

More
29 Dec 2017 18:19 #3 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Replied by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle) on topic Betta
Cracking looking fish bill.

Was mad into bettas a year or so ago just didn't have the space needed to breed them successfully.

Keep the pictures coming

Regards
Craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite

More
29 Dec 2017 19:41 #4 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Replied by Bill (Bill Hunter) on topic Betta

now u say the females are showing interest in the males cave so thes also breed differently do they

A lot of Betta species prefer to blow their bubble nests and rear their young in caves. In my cases these caves are either half flower pots or, more often than not, old film canisters. They don't just stick to nesting in caves though, sometimes they will nest under foliage or dead leaves lying on the bottom of the tank. They do have a preference for laying eggs down in the water rather than on the surface like Betta splendens do.
Bill

More
29 Dec 2017 19:56 #5 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Maybe in 24 or 48hrs ...

Bill
Attachments:

More
06 Jan 2018 17:49 #6 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Sadly I found the male Betta coccina (pictured up top) floating on top of the water this morning. I've no idea what happened, everything was fine at lights-out last night.
Ah well, such is life.
Bill

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds