Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Betta simplex

More
03 Sep 2008 16:11 #1 by niko001 (Noel Cutajar)
Here is my latest addition:

Male:

Female:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2008 18:53 #2 by niko001 (Noel Cutajar)
Has anyone had any experience as I had them for the last week and no sign of eating. They had eaten some bloodworms (once only) but nothing else. I gave them some frozen bbs - nothing, some beefheart - nothing, some flakes - nothing...I am bit worried as I have to go abroad for the next three days. Family will still put some flakes once a day, maybe they will be too hungry and resort to eat the flakes.

More
08 Sep 2008 19:17 #3 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I keep them, but have not bred them for a long time, they are in a community tank now. They are not generally fussy eaters but they will only eat very small flake. Ideally they like the little micro pellets or live brine shrimp. They seem to go through phases when they are very shy and hide, this applies to the male and female, I have no idea why. But they always reappear after a couple of days. Your fish look healthy what water conditions are they in, they like a pH of 7.0 and a temp of 22-26. I would give them a plant to shelter in and they might feel more secure and eat for you then.

Daragh

There is a photo and some details in the \"Reference Wiki\" on the site here.

More
08 Sep 2008 19:25 #4 by niko001 (Noel Cutajar)
I placed a potted amazon plant which has broad leaves for cover. Water parameters are PH 7 and GH around 15. Though, temperature is 30 degrees and cannot help it as that is room temperature!!

More
08 Sep 2008 19:28 #5 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Lets hope the plant works, I am not sure that they will adapt very well to 30 C. That's one problem we never have to worry about in Ireland :(

More
09 Sep 2008 01:50 #6 by niko001 (Noel Cutajar)
Even though it is hot, I still have to place a heater as during the night temperature falls to 26. This difference in temperature may cause problems in the long run.

More
22 Sep 2008 16:04 #7 by niko001 (Noel Cutajar)
Simplex are now eating and doing more than fine as one male is holding eggs...

i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/worldo...current=P9220006.flv

More
25 Sep 2008 04:45 #8 by niko001 (Noel Cutajar)
It seems that the male had eaten the eggs...I cannot understand why as the tank is placed inside the fish room and there is no disturbance at all.

More
19 Oct 2008 10:42 #9 by niko001 (Noel Cutajar)
More eggs again...seems to be holding well.

s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/worldo...current=PC300003.flv

More
19 Oct 2008 11:09 #10 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Unfortunately from personal experiece I can say they sometimes eat the eggs for no reason (that I know of), maye they get hungary! Also did you remve the female? The female is ready to spawn again before the male has released the eggs and she will often hassle him if left in the same tank - that would be the most likely reason he swallowed if she was left in the same tank. A solution is to have two or three males to once female if you don't have anywhere to remove the female to after spawning.

Daragh

More
19 Oct 2008 11:50 #11 by niko001 (Noel Cutajar)
Female is still present in the tank...I am planning another tank for the pair so that when the time comes, I can remove the female only. At this stage I am afraid that if I remove the male he will either eat the eggs or spit them earlier.

More
02 Nov 2008 18:59 #12 by niko001 (Noel Cutajar)
At last he spit the fry...I counted at least four but still has a large mouth...might be some more fry.

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds