Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

We have lift off ! SFF breeding

More
07 Oct 2008 11:25 #1 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
Our male and female betta splendens are copulating. First time breeders, just lucky I guess, I hope this results in some fry.

So here's the history, one pleasant Sunday up in Aquatic Village there was an offer on a Sub-Tropical setup bowl, into which we put in 2 WCMM and a beautiful male Siamese Fighting Fish and a small filter (low flow), something my daughter was very pleased about. After nursing him for a few weeks and ensuring temps didn't fluctuate we noticed some bubbles forming on the surface, then last Wednesday 1st Oct we noticed a film appearing on top of the water, which once netted out/cleaned it appeared again a few hours later.

So on Sunday the guys in AV said he was ready for courting and we chose a female who was also quite ready for the dating game.
We got our old plastic goldfish tank out of the shed, cleaned it out with some water I had ready for a water change on my Rekord 70, placed the female in the upturned lid of the test kit and put her in the glass bowl, I guess it was a sort of beauty pageant scenario, he puffed himself up and she sashayed and swayed around. Their reactions were astounding! In the interim we got the plastic tank setup with the filter and the water heated to 25, put both fish in with a cabomba plant and gradually raised the temperature. Needless to say we spent Sunday evening on YouTube looking at SFF spawning videos. Then last night, only 24 hours later, he started buidling his bubble nest, and now the are in a romantic embrace under the bubble nest and the eggs are dropping. I'll update this tonight with progrees and if my new dad hands aren't too shaky maybe a photo or 2.

ALL ADVICES VERY WELCOME.:woohoo:

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Oct 2008 12:51 #2 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:We have lift off ! SFF breeding
Congratulations !!

More
07 Oct 2008 13:08 #3 by Xeon (ioan micu)
First thing you should do now is to think what are you gonna feed the very small fry in a few days. Try some liquifry but I think some eggyolk will much better do the job. After they finish spawning don't forget to take the female out or she might get killed. Let the male with the fry till they are freeswimers. Getting them spawn is the easy job raising the fry it's a bit more of a challenge:). Good luck and if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

More
07 Oct 2008 13:19 #4 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hi Andrew, congrats!!! WOW i know i said they would prob. breed in a week or so but 2 days!!!
There are a few breeders of SFF on the forum, one who i know defo. has is Ioan, i have seen his fish n they are nice!!! Think Darren (platy252), JohnH and Daragh plus im sure others may have bred them to.....
One thing is they are sensitive to drafts a few weeks in after they reach the water surface as the labryinth organ begins to develop you need to keep the air warm and humid (i have bred them in a fish house before, easy as the air was already warm and humid, got about 20-30 fish up to saleable size) there are a number of ways to do this, but ill let one of the more experienced SFF breeders tell you as i only got a small no. of fish to adults!!!!

More
07 Oct 2008 19:47 #5 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Well done on the breeding.That was fast.Thought it would have taken longer than that.Do you have any pics of the bubble nest.

More
07 Oct 2008 19:54 #6 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Nice one.Stretching cling film over the top of the tank helps to keep the air humid and warm,as Drew says they are VERY susceptible to drafts.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
07 Oct 2008 21:23 #7 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
Hi Xeon, can you please explain the egg yolk feeding. Is it fresh or cooked, the freeze-dried stuff and what quantities. Thanks for all your good wishes, I'll get some photos and maybe a little video later on.

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

More
07 Oct 2008 21:53 #8 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
Hi Serratus & Acara, thanks for the advices, I'll be in touch, in the meantime here is a link to my photos on Google.

picasaweb.google.com/AndrewTaaffe/FishFun?authkey=hekpwY3NSrw#

BTW Drew, one of the frogs I got croaked it last night (sorry for the pun) the other 2 are in great form and are very curious swimmers
Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Oct 2008 22:07 - 07 Oct 2008 22:07 #9 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:We have lift off ! SFF breeding
Nice videos !

Precocious fry ... the eggs have just been laid and there are already baby babbles on the sound track !! :laugh:

Thanks. Valerie
Last edit: 07 Oct 2008 22:07 by Valerie (Valerie).

More
07 Oct 2008 22:47 #10 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
the baby babbles are the children my wife minds as well as our own, she was trying to hold off our 3 yr old while the fish did the \"dance of the seven veils\"

ITFS Club Secretary

More
08 Oct 2008 23:08 #11 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
well the eggs are hatching and the fry are emerging, BBS ready to feed them.

ITFS Club Secretary

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Oct 2008 23:22 #12 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:We have lift off ! SFF breeding
That is brilliant news ... Get the camera working ! :-)

Good luck.
Valerie

More
08 Oct 2008 23:34 #13 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
a little tricky, i have the tank wrapped in clingfilm to keep the heat in and maintain the air temp as close to the water temp as possible, but here is a shot of his paternal instinct and returning the fry to their bubble nest

ITFS Club Secretary

More
08 Oct 2008 23:39 #14 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
oops forgot the url, was a little trigger happy on the old mouse

ITFS Club Secretary

More
15 Oct 2008 23:46 #15 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
HELP on next steps.

The fry are a week old, they are swimming around, well slow-gliding is really what it looks like, around the cabomba.

Filter is turned off - to stop the wee fellas being sucked in or pushed around the tank, it's been off for 9 days now and we've topped up the levels from evaporation.

Water temp is a constant 27.

Tank is covered in cling film to keep air temp surface water in line with below and draughts out.

Sitting under kithcen counter lights - beside a 70 ltr trop community, and the plant looks healthy.

Solid regular diet of artemia.

So the questions are:

Is the above setup ok?

Can I change some of the water?

What are my next steps?

Is there something I should be looking out for?

At what stage can I move them into another tank?

How do I know if deformities exist and when could these be spotted, I guess > 4 weeks old.

Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary

More
15 Oct 2008 23:53 #16 by karlo (karlo kennedy)
hey andrew im a big fan of betta's and every thing your doing is fine my only answer i can give you is wait 6 weeks befor you will be able to do much with them, all you can do is a 5% water change every now and again for them and try get some blood worm and you can trun your fillter back on and put your net over the intake part if there is anything else you need to know just send me a pm
best of luck
regards
karlo

More
16 Oct 2008 19:43 #17 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Did you leave the filter in the tank?If so,the bacteria would die off and pollute the tank.It should be removed,or if a built in,then all media removed.I guess,however,after 9 days you should have experienced any spikes.

Dave

More
16 Oct 2008 20:37 #18 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
Hi Acara

I removed the whole filter from the betta tank and then put it in my main tank to keep the bacteria going, so now it's back in the betta tank and all looks well. Ammonia was zero yet nitrite had risen, probably due to uneaten food. Now the guys are popping around and generally enjoying themselves - I hope :) but i did find a tiny snail on a leaf so this was hastily removed.
Thanks for your advice Dave

ITFS Club Secretary

More
16 Oct 2008 21:03 #19 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Nice one.

More
19 Oct 2008 10:51 #20 by niko001 (Noel Cutajar)
Hi Andrew...welcome to the betta craze...I have been breeding bettas for the last 6 to 8 years and lately i trying to develop my own strain. from the setup you wrote, I would say it is more than enough. In the meantime when breeding bettas, keep in mind that you can use large tanks so that you can always increase the level of the water and live comfortable as their grow out tank instead of moving them around.

Secondly, filters should be added from week 6 to 8 when they are large enough to withstand some movement especially when they are developing the labyrinth organ. It is important that the bubbles help in removing the top scum from the surface to ensure proper oxygenation.

Some indian almond leaves extract or the leave itself would help to keep PH low and help the fish in their growth.

As for first food I go for microworms for a few days and then go for BBS. Though I found that starting off with BBS does not in any way effect the growth of the fry. I would avoid commercially prepared fry food for the first few weeks and even egg yolk or liquifry. They tend to pollute the water rather than help in feeding.

Add some small snails in the tank to clean up any uneaten food. There is also a relationship between fin burn and microworms which tend to deposit at the bottom and cause the pectoral fins to cause them to 'burn' due to bacterial infections. By now male should have been removed.

The most important issue is jarring which is the biggest headache for any betta breeder...funnily enough, males tend to show aggression after they are jarred rather than when they are with their siblings...

More
19 Oct 2008 16:08 #21 by JohnH (John)

The most important issue is jarring which is the biggest headache for any betta breeder...funnily enough, males tend to show aggression after they are jarred rather than when they are with their siblings...

This brings about an interesting thought...

I - long ago - experimented with keeping Male Betta Splendens together up to maturity but sadly the results gained were a little inconclusive. In more recent times I have spoken with Xeon who confirms this is what he does so my plan is to split one of the two batches of fry I now have developing,
putting one brood into a larger tank, Males and females together...and the other half Males (as they develop) only. The second brood is less advanced but I hope a pattern will have emerged before they should need 'attention'. If any of this works out it will save all those containers...

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
28 Oct 2008 21:23 #22 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
Ok, now the fry are 3 weeks old and happily making their way around the tank. One or two are not the shyest of creatures. The numbers have dropped but at least I hope we get a good size crop from our first breeding outing ! With Christmas coming these little beauties could be great gifts and maybe get some family members could join the shoal:woohoo:
So what are next steps?
Can I feed them bloodwork if I mush it into a fine food by pushing through - say a tea strainer - ?
Can I turn the heater temp down from current 28 ? When can i do this and of course over how long should I gradually reduce the temp?

When is the best time/most appropriate time to "jar" them? Which jars are best and should they be prepared in a certain way (I'm thinking of boiling some jam or honey jars and then soaking them in water from my main tank).

Here'd the latest video

picasaweb.google.com/AndrewTaaffe/FishFu...#5261989289276896274

Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary

More
02 Nov 2008 04:48 #23 by niko001 (Noel Cutajar)
Can I feed them bloodwork if I mush it into a fine food by pushing through - say a tea strainer - ?

My reply would be to feed them newly hatched brine shrimp for at least some weeks until they can be fed powdered food.

Can I turn the heater temp down from current 28 ? When can i do this and of course over how long should I gradually reduce the temp?

Keep this temperature for the time being as a difference might kill the fry. Cover the top of the tank so as to maintain same temperature between the air and the water. This is because in a few weeks time they start developing their labyrinth organ needed to breathe from the surface. The difference in temperature might cause various problems.

When is the best time/most appropriate time to "jar" them? Which jars are best and should they be prepared in a certain way (I'm thinking of boiling some jam or honey jars and then soaking them in water from my main tank).

Jarring occurs at 8 to 10 weeks when male characteristics start to show up such as flaring, biting, fin-nippping.

More
16 Nov 2008 23:36 #24 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
How are your fry getting on.Any changes in the tank or any color in the fish yet.If you could put up a video or some pics it would be great.I think we all would love a look.

More
17 Nov 2008 00:18 #25 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
sorry, haven't forgotten about this, the fry are doing well. The numbers have come down and a few are a decent size, some are a lot smaller.
Here is a snap i got today.

Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary

More
17 Nov 2008 00:20 #26 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
sorry photo didn't load, here it is now

ITFS Club Secretary

More
17 Nov 2008 00:25 #27 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
hmmm file size too big, so here is the link for the web photo

ITFS Club Secretary

More
17 Nov 2008 00:28 #28 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
They seem to be looking good.
Well done.

More
17 Nov 2008 23:43 #29 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
congrats Andrew, the fish are looking great and coming on nicely

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
19 Nov 2008 01:08 #30 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)

ITFS Club Secretary

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds