Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

We have lift off ! SFF breeding

More
19 Nov 2008 02:58 #31 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2008 00:37 #32 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
ok, so i've run out of BBS (well the use by date of 6 weeks after opening and refrigerating) has well passed.
My question is, what can i feed the guys now?

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

More
02 Dec 2008 23:01 #33 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
What size are the fry now.Any update or pics.

More
02 Dec 2008 23:40 #34 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
okay, so they are about 8 to 9 weeks old now, the numbers have gone south, maybe a handful are reaching any level of maturity. The few males are looking really good and there are a few smallers females lurking about in the plants. The males certinaly seem to be showing signs of anamosity, they chase each other or rather chase away each other.

I gave the tank a good clean out today and after doing a water change and cleaning the filter sponges the wwater is looking really crystal.

I'll take a few snaps over the coming days and I guess the jarring will begin soon.

All advices welcome.

Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

More
02 Dec 2008 23:45 #35 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Sounds like they are doing well and cant wait to see the pics.

More
02 Dec 2008 23:47 #36 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
oh yeah, and I gotta grab some java moss from you soon and some snails

Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary

More
02 Dec 2008 23:52 #37 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Any time i have loads.

More
03 Dec 2008 00:28 #38 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Andrew wrote:

ok, so i've run out of BBS (well the use by date of 6 weeks after opening and refrigerating) has well passed.
My question is, what can i feed the guys now?

Andrew what type of brine shrimp have you got?. It shouldn't go out of date. If anything you should get a better hatch rate the older it is.
I just opened a jar the other day that was sitting in the fridge for over 2 years. When i first opened it the hatch rate was terrible. Maybe 40/50%. Now it is about 80%.
Try adding some dry food when you are feeding then BBS. This way you can slowly convert them to eating the dry foods.

More
03 Dec 2008 15:24 #39 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
Hi Platty, beat me to it.

I had started weaning them off the BBS and onto dry food about a week before I noticed the BBS being out of date, I'll make a note of your advices above for the next batch :)

I kindly got some protein rich ground up food from Xeon a few weeks ago, so they are lasting well on that and growing quickly.

Do you think I should jar them now or leave them be?

Anyhow, I'd like to move them out of the tank they are in and into my hospital tank (once it is cleansed after the recent danio bacteria/mouth fungus episode), my intention is to switch the use of the tanks from breeder to hospital and vice versa as the current hospital tank is a far better breeder (confusing I know but you get the drift). See other thread about this issue.
Regards
Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary

More
08 Jan 2009 00:46 - 08 Jan 2009 09:55 #40 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
Update 13 weeks on - alas only 3 lasted the pace, the largest has ben moved into my 120 to accompany the otocynclus, flying fox. The remaining remarkably much smaller specimens are progressing and remain in the breeding tank I setup in October.

Here is a link to a video of the largest in his new home

picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/UpneKbHIk5...NSrw&feat=directlink

Regards
Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary
Last edit: 08 Jan 2009 09:55 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe).

More
08 Jan 2009 01:02 #41 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Nice work, lovely little fighter. Sorry I can't help with info on raising them. that tank looks clean enough to eat your dinner out of, want to come ado a few of mine!!

Daragh

More
08 Jan 2009 10:03 #42 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
thanks Daragh, I do try to keep on top of my tank cleaning, but that tank is overdue a waterchange and gravel clean (maybe tonight). It must be the extra small external filter I put into the tank that is keeping it clear.

Once the remaining 2 fry are deemed capable of being moved from their breeding tank and into this 120 or my soft n slow 70 I'll get it ready for another session.

I am tempted to go for bettas again but am wondering about Dwarf Rasbora (see other thread www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...ew/catid,7/id,41178/

or maybe Apistogramma Agassizi if I can get a good suitable male for the female I picked up recently.

ITFS Club Secretary

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds