Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Feeding Betta Fry

More
12 Sep 2009 16:24 #1 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
Hi,
Anyone know where I can get a microworm culture in Leinster?
I've heard its the best food for betta fry. I've raised mine to three weeks old on infusoria and baby brine shrimp and now I'm feeding Hikari First Bites granules. I'm not very happy with the first bite stuff though. It leaves a carpet of little particles on the bottom of my tank and I have to keep syphoning this out.
If I can get this lot of veil tail fry to adulthood then my plan is to get some half moons or crown tails and breed them.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2009 17:12 #2 by SpookyMuffin (Debbie Behan)
Microworms are usually fed to fry in the first two weeks of life since they are very small. I don't think that they would be appropriate for your fry at the age that they are.

At three weeks of age they should be being weaned onto pellet foods. I usually give them a ground version of the food that I feed my adults (atison betta pro) as well as baby brine shrimp for the third week.
If you can get your hands on live daphnia or mosquito larva as well the fry should be big enough to eat them.

More
13 Sep 2009 17:11 #3 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
Thanks SpookyMuffin. I do have some mosquito larva in a bucket in the backyard (don't tell the neighbours) that I conditioned the parents with. I'll sort out some of the smaller ones and feed those. I have been feeding brine shrimp but I'm paranoid about swimbladder problems so I've only been feeding a small amount at a time.

More
13 Sep 2009 17:39 #4 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
just a quick question ...... but how would one go about starting a culture or colony of mosquito larvae ???

is it as easy as just putting a bucket of water outdoors and waiting ??

martin

More
13 Sep 2009 18:29 #5 by Acara (Dave Walters)
You cant really get them 'started' yourself,just have to let nature take its course.
Leave out bucket,or some container,with a few leaves or similar in bottom,the rain should top it up enough,or start with water from a water change,and just let it go brown/black/green/whatever.Hopefully the mossies will take over.
May be a bit near the end of the season now,I'm still getting them,but I find the water takes a bit to age.Give it a go though.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
13 Sep 2009 19:37 #6 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
A bucket of water with three potatoes in it was what I used. The water went green and there were hundreds of mosquito larva and a few other interesting little creepie crawlies within about a month. The water smells absolutely foul now but there's still a few larva in it.
My adult fighters love mosquito larva and its good fun watching them snapping them up. I tried sorting out some of the smaller larvae for my betta fry but they're all too big at the moment. They'll probably be big enough to eat them next week if there's any left in the bucket.

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds