Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Betta Sickness?

More
18 Jan 2011 09:24 #1 by neil0r (Neil Sisson)
Ticked off atm because I had a beautiful male betta that died last night and I've no idea why.

He seemed perfectly fine a day ago. He was being kept in a small 15 l tank by himself with some cherry shrimp. I recently bought a new filter for the tank but the tank is very mature and I've had that fighter in there for more than a year now. It has a big piece of bog wood and some moss in it on gravel substrate. Also there is a green leafed plant growing up the back wall of the tank. I put well established filter media from my bigger tank into the new filter before switching it on. There wasn't room to leave the old filter in the tank too.

He was really lethargic last night when I went to feed him and was either swimming or dropping down to the bottom and hiding under a bit of the bog wood. It was like he was slipping in and out of consciousness really because he would go really still and then if he felt my gf try to scoop him with the small net he'd swim like mad for a bit to avoid it.

Normally speaking he was a blue colour but he had bits of red in his fins. Last night when we scooped him into a bag (to quarantine and also to use the only medication I had which was contraspot) his whole body looked quite red and his gills looked a bit reddish and raw even too.

I'm going to go and test the water now and will post up the results. The cherry shrimp seem to be fine but then again they live in the bog wood mostly (and reproduce like crazy) so I gave up trying to keep track of how many there are. (I just take some out and sell them when it gets out of hand

In the meantime...any ideas what might have happened? Are there common diseases or parasites that kill Betta's very quickly?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2011 10:32 #2 by neil0r (Neil Sisson)
water test results:

Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
pH 8.2 (always been very high)

I also should have mentioned that I always dose the water with the contraspot when I get new fish, not that that is relevant here because the only other things that are/have been in the tank are the cherry shrimp and they are all homegrown.

Maybe a parasite?

More
18 Jan 2011 11:32 #3 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Betta are quite short lived,so a bit over a year would be a good life,some last a lot longer.
They are very prone to obesity,which,like in humans,can cause liver,kidney,etc problems,also helping to shorten the lifespan.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
18 Jan 2011 12:12 #4 by joey (joe watson)
gutted for you mate its always a shame if any fish are lost to the big bowl in the sky. dont know much about betta but you did everything right when you put in the new filter so like Acara said its probably just age

More
19 Jan 2011 13:41 #5 by neil0r (Neil Sisson)
Thanks for the comments guys.

I was careful to only feed a small amount of food to the betta and I also made sure that at least one day a week not to feed him at all (advice from SpookyMuffin) but I guess there were cherry shrimp in the tank and they seem to reproduce like bunnies, so its possible he was finding some cherry coloured new borns to snack on...

What surprised me was how quick he went. Like one day he was grand the next seriously knackered. Would old age or obesity onset, happen that fast?

Is there *any* chance there is a parasite of some sort in the tank? Any way for me to know?

The cherry's all seem fine but I don't want to go and get a new Betta and then find he's befallen the same fate.

More
19 Jan 2011 14:51 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Although siamese fighters do prefer a more acidic pH, they are quite tolerant especially if the tank was mature.

The lifespan is not great....especially for males. You say you had him for a year, I guess you wouldn't know how old he was when he was bought.

There comes a stage in the life of short-lived fish when one day they look great, but a bit aged, the next day they are dead. We see this with the true annual killifish (Nothobranchus and some south american mud-divers). What is even more noticeable is that the fish produce some of their most brilliant colours just before and just after they die.
If you look at an older male betta and compare it to a young one, you will start to notice the '150 year old trout' looking effect.

Of course there could be a reason other than age.....but that would need a bit of info on behaviour just prior to death and any noticeable things.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jan 2011 17:35 #7 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
Replied by wolfsburg (wolfsburg) on topic Re: Betta Sickness?
Betta splendens only generally live for around 18 months (some shorter, some longer).
It takes quite a while before they are what the trade would deem to be a sale-able size so by the time you see them in shops they can be a year old, so you are probably doing quite well to to get a year out of one.
The amount of time the have to spend in the fish farm is one of a few factors as to why they are still quite expensive for one of the most mass-bred tropical fish.
Sorry about your fish. death is the only part of life that is guaranteed!

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds