Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

CPO babies

More
25 Sep 2011 12:17 #1 by Katherine (Katarzyna Glebocka)
I was waiting for a very long time, having a lot of problems caused by dwarf frogs that distroyed my cryfish population leaving only one crayfish alive. But when frogs were given notice of eviction and new Mexican Dwarf Orange Crayfish were introduced they started to have a good time in my tank. And now there are results - my first crayfish babies :)

they are really very small between 5 mm to not even 1 cm but lovely. Another girl is carrying black eggs so hope to have them more in shor time.

just for comparisson here are photos of an adult crayfish that is 4 cm long:

Attachment Duzyraczek2.jpg not found

Sorry for a very bad quality of pictures but I cannot get anything better from this crap camera... :hammer:
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2011 12:32 #2 by Ieva star (Ieva Fogta)
Katherine they look great well done Regards Johney

More
25 Sep 2011 12:50 #3 by smitas5 (Marius Smitas)
is that some kind of crayfish that isn't interested in plants or fish?

More
25 Sep 2011 12:52 #4 by des (des)
Replied by des (des) on topic Re: CPO babies
they're lovely
fairplay to Ya Katherine
they look great

how many Babies do You think there are ?

Des

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Sep 2011 13:08 - 25 Sep 2011 13:08 #5 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: CPO babies
Nice one Katherine,

Do the Assassins EVER take any of the Crayfish?

If you decide to sell any CF, let me know, they're lovely.

Kev.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2011 13:08 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
25 Sep 2011 13:51 - 25 Sep 2011 13:52 #6 by des (des)
hi Katherine

I'd also be interested in buying some or trading for some if You'd be interested at any stage ?

I have some Young Procambarus clarkii (white pearl crayfish)
or some young Macrobrachium sp.

I love the Procambarus clarkii, they are class and are just about to breed for Me for the second time...

Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Sep 2011 13:52 by des (des).

More
25 Sep 2011 14:06 #7 by Katherine (Katarzyna Glebocka)
@smitas5: no they do not make any harm to plants, they are the most peaceful crayfish and can be kept in planted community tanks with other small animals.

@Kev, I haven't seen any assassin attaking crayfish. I think helenas are more intetested in other snails that in much too fast crayfish. As you see I keep them all in the same tank. And my adult population is 6 crayfish and about 20 - 30 helenas in the tank.

@Kev and Des, yes some of them will be for sale or swap. Currently I have 6 or 8 young of which 4 I think I will keep for myself. Rest will be ready in a month or so for sale because I wouldn't like to sell too small ones therefore have to wait till they are about 1.5 cm long. But as I mentioned another girl is carrying eggs so the population is developing and again new babies will for sale then.

@Des, thanks a million for your offer. I will have to brows information on clarkii and macrobrachium in order not to put too dangerous mates to the tank. CPO are lake crayfish while clarkii as far as I remember are river ones and stronger onces.

More
25 Sep 2011 14:21 #8 by des (des)
sounds great Katherine

although I wouldn't put the Clarkii in with the orange crayfish
they grow a fair bit bigger and they also love eating plants
in fairness to them, they don't bother with any of the baby macrobrachium or their own babies but just to be safe...

Des

More
01 Oct 2011 10:15 #9 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Well done Katherine,it looks like you have them doing their thing!
Des amazing pictures there.

Gavin

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds