Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

For attention of Manius112

More
01 Nov 2011 21:33 #1 by paddyc1 (Paddy Corrigan)
Was going to send this as a pm but decided that others may benefit or want to contribute.

Hi Mariusz. Hope you don't mind if I pick your brains seems you're the man who knows all about shrimp.
I set up a 13l planted tank (low tech) at the weekend. I seeded the filter in another tank for the last 5 or 6 weeks and I used this tank water for my new setup. I use no meds in my other tank but add ferropol 24 daily.
I want to add some shrimp so have a couple of questions if you have a spare minute to help me out.

Is the water/filter cycled enough to add shrimp ?

Although no meds were used, will traces of ferropol be ok ?

How many shrimp in a 13l setup ?

And...........
Do you have shrimp for sale ??

Hope you don't mind me posting this.

Regards,

Paddy

Tallaght, Dublin 24

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Nov 2011 22:16 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: For attention of Manius112
If it helps Paddy,

Depending on the amount of filtration you can stock quite a few, the downside is that, unlike us Humans, when stocking levels reach a certain point, breeding ceases. Some meds are fine with Shrimp but Copper is to them like Arsenic is to us. I got some nice Shrimp from Mariusz and they were beautiful, Snowball, cherry (super red ) Blue Bees and Tigers.

Kev.

More
01 Nov 2011 22:25 #3 by paddyc1 (Paddy Corrigan)
Cheers Kev. I wasn't sure what to do with the tank originally but after doing a bit of shrimpy research, I decided to give it a blast.
Sure it's all the rage and I like to keep up with the Jones' !
I was actually pretty inspired by the pics Mariusz had posted previously.

Tallaght, Dublin 24

More
01 Nov 2011 22:42 #4 by manius112 (Mariusz Kaminski)
Hi Paddy.
Give me few hours and I will back to ya shortly. Im so tired at the moment:-(
Started at 12:00 today to waste 2h waiting for abulance to be fixed (im paramedic) then got transfer do Cork. Quick bite and run to Waterford to bring someone back to wexford. Just on the way to Dublin now so shoud be home just after midnight:-(
I will bacl to ya ASAP pal.

More
01 Nov 2011 22:46 #5 by paddyc1 (Paddy Corrigan)
No rush pal. Off to bed now myself anyway.
Thanks a mil !

Tallaght, Dublin 24

More
02 Nov 2011 01:04 #6 by manius112 (Mariusz Kaminski)
Just back from Wexford :-)

I can be busy tomorrow so I will try to help for you today.
Just for safety of shrimps I would give more time for ya tank. I know you probably would love to have some shrimps in tank now but cycle ya tank for few more weeks to be sure. There is no reason to harm shrimps and wast money. You can ask Craig its worthed to wait and if you do things right you will have hundreds of shrimplets soon:-)
What kind of soil you use??
For shrimp comfort dark soil its much better. They less stressed on black or brown soil. I have same blue pearl shrimps in 2 tanks next to each other and with black soil they really blue where they more clear in other tank.

Im not sure about ferropol coz Im not using this myself. I will try to find some more info about ferropol and back to you but its sound like some kind of Fe sours for plants.

13l tank its just right to start with shrimps. They fill better in herd so you be ok with any think from 10 up to 20 shrimps.That will give them place to grow and to breed but I would start with 10 shrimps to see if they happy. You can always add more whenever you wont.
Give us some more info about filtration system you have.Better filtration you have more shrimps you can have in tank.
In shrimp tanks biological filtration is important coz more Nitrifying bacteria (chemoautotrophic) you have in filtration system more NH4 can be removed or "transformed" to NO3 and removed from tank with water changes.

I would recommend to dont use any fertilizers in tank and just try to use shrimps and NH4 produced by them to fert plants. Works perfectly for my even in my small tanks.
Plants and mosses growing slowly but health.

And final questions - yes I have some shrimps for sale at the moment but coz its info about shrimp tank and shrimp setup please PM for more info.
Hope I help. If you or any one else have any questions please fill free to ask.
Im sorry for my English - blame Google translator :-))

More
02 Nov 2011 15:09 #7 by Katherine (Katarzyna Glebocka)

Just back from Wexford :-)

And you didn't pop in!! ;) I brought a new plant (I don't remember its name and cannot find my notes) that was used in a winning AGA competition aquascaping tank. In a way it's similar to cardamina lirata but its nicer (A gift from Pawel Szewczak). You should see it...

(PS Pawel Szewczak is one of the best Polish aquadesigners as well as an AGA judge)

More
02 Nov 2011 17:21 #8 by paddyc1 (Paddy Corrigan)
Thanks so much Mariusz.

I'll give the tank a couple of weeks as you say.
The substrate is manado which is obviously brown in colour. Kev (stretnik) posted recently about using manado in a shrimp tank so not sure if this is a good idea. Filter is a Hang on filter that came with a Blau 38l so presume there is a sufficient turnover rate in the 13l. I will however have to get a sponge to cover the inlet.

Here is a link to pics of the tank

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/fforu...cycling-updated-pics

Thanks again for taking the time to respond, and I'll pm you when I'm ready for stock.

Ps, the English is fine. You'd want to hear mine after a few pints !!

Paddy

Tallaght, Dublin 24

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Nov 2011 21:55 #9 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: For attention of Manius112
Hope you don't mind me hopping on board Paddy, I just thought you'd like to read from this Link.

www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/261585-shrimp-care-guide/

Kev.

More
02 Nov 2011 22:18 #10 by paddyc1 (Paddy Corrigan)
Great read Kev. Thanks for posting.
Appreciate your input, as always

Paddy

Tallaght, Dublin 24

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds