Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Shrimp Vanished

More
07 Nov 2011 23:42 #1 by Kevin (Kevin Burke)
Hi

I have a 54l tank which had 6 endlers and 6 shrimp - 4 cherry and 2 black (don't know what the black ones were). Anyway, over the last month all of my shrimp have died. And in fact, they've just completely vanished.

I found two cherry shrimp bodies but other than that, they've just disappeared completely. I don't think it's a case of they're just hiding away and I can't see them, because I used to see them hovering around.

Is there any specific requirements for keeping shrimp that I'm unaware of? I presumed they'd be easy enough.

Has this disappearance of shrimp happened to anybody else? Is it possible that the fish would consume shrimp?

Thanks
Kevin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2011 23:48 #2 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
When shrimp molt they become very slow and.defense less when there shell is soft after molt.

The endlers could of been.picking at them while molting.shrimp usually hide when molting do you have many hideing spots for the shrimp

manius112 would be the man to ask about shrimp keeping he s my go to guy for shrimp

craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite

More
08 Nov 2011 09:40 #3 by manius112 (Mariusz Kaminski)
Yes shrimps ar easy enought when ya stick to few main rules.
They very sensitive to NH3/4,NO2,NO3 and any Ph changes. ph is not so important for cherrys but it may kill them if ther is big changes.
Also GH and KH ar importent but for cherrys not as NO2 and NO3.
They may die aswell if ua have not enought minerals in water. They cant molt if ther is not enought minerals. When ya see dead shrimp and just behind head ya see litle break thats mine they cant molt.
Chemicals or some other additives may kill them as well.
Howe long you have them in the tank?? Coz for shrimps proper aclimatization is very importent no mather what kind shrimp you have.
Give us some more info about ya tanks and do water test for NO2,NO3.

More
08 Nov 2011 17:00 #4 by Kevin (Kevin Burke)
Hey, thanks for the replies.

I had my tank going for about a month before putting anything in. Then I got 6 endler and 6 shrimp.

The're in about a month and a half and at this stage I don't see any shrimp left. I have a piece of bog oak that they could potentially hide around but I don't see them. I also have a divers helmut in there. I've lifted that up, they're not in there.

I use the tetra 6 in 1 test (don't know how accurate it is) and I can tell you that NO2 and NO3 always look to be zero. The Ph is on the high end of the scale - about 8 - 8.2. And the hardness is also on the high end but I don't have a numeric value at the minute.

As for additives, I put in drops for the plants now and again. It's one drop every 24 hours. I don't do it that often but every now and again. I also put in nutrafin cycle when I change water.

More
08 Nov 2011 20:35 #5 by manius112 (Mariusz Kaminski)

Hey, thanks for the replies.

I had my tank going for about a month before putting anything in. Then I got 6 endler and 6 shrimp.

The're in about a month and a half and at this stage I don't see any shrimp left. I have a piece of bog oak that they could potentially hide around but I don't see them. I also have a divers helmut in there. I've lifted that up, they're not in there.

I use the tetra 6 in 1 test (don't know how accurate it is) and I can tell you that NO2 and NO3 always look to be zero. The Ph is on the high end of the scale - about 8 - 8.2. And the hardness is also on the high end but I don't have a numeric value at the minute.

As for additives, I put in drops for the plants now and again. It's one drop every 24 hours. I don't do it that often but every now and again. I also put in nutrafin cycle when I change water.

6 in 1 tests are not good to me. You should get JBL drop tests they brilliant.
If you around Dublin and don't want to waste money on test I can test for you or you can ask any aquatic shop near to You. They should test for you free of charge.
I think its NO3 problem or not enough minerals in water.

More
10 Nov 2011 11:07 #6 by Kevin (Kevin Burke)
Yeah I do doubt their accuracy alright. Thanks for the offer. Won't be around Dublin but I might buy myself some. Also, I'll get the shop to do a test.

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds