Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Am I ready for RCS?

More
24 Jan 2012 21:08 #1 by Christor (Chris Morrow)
So my tank has been cycling now for 4 weeks and heres its current parameters
Ammonia-0/0.25
Nitrite-0
Nitrate- 50/60ppm (trying small water changes)
KH-60/6
GH-260/13
PH-7

From readign they can adapt to these conditions right?

My tanks very heavily planted and has a strong flow and water agitation, now there has been an algae bloom as its low tech el natural, aka soil base and medium lighting 2 watts per g

anyway beside the point, I have tried some tester cherries,some cheap ones and well started with 10 and for the 2 days following reckon I could see half, after a water change 2days ago and looking today I see a moult but only one shrimp, the rest have disaeared and there arent many hiding places I couldnt see or to hold them all. Oh and fellow fish tank mates are perfectly fine

no bodies either and its tank mates are little borrares brigatte, mosquito rasbora so they arent the culprit. Is it maybe nitrate poisioning? As I said I am trying small water changes to reduce it as its quite high and my plants dont seem to be absorbing them as I thought

should I cycle a little longer before adding again? also (no previous experience what so ever) they never sat still or on the substrate which is pretty dense, always floating about and landing randomly, this normal?:) thanks for reading the ramblings of a very keen and impatient future shrimp keeper

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2012 21:19 #2 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
You would need to get your ammonia down to 0 and your nitrate is on the high side, you should be aiming for less than 20 or even lower. Increase water changes for a week or 2 and you shouldn't be too far off.

More
24 Jan 2012 21:21 #3 by m4r10 (m4r10)
Hi mate. I went the same route as you did with the tank, sand over soil and had 3 platty in to help with the cycling process after 3 weeks. Then added 10 RCS and the platty were chasing them so I had to take the plattys out. After that, the most number of RCS I could see at one time was 6, so cannot vouch that they're all alive, but they have plenty of places to hide, but the ones I can see are fine and grazing on the plants. I would try to scare them out from the plants with the hand when doing water changes just to see if they're still there.

More
24 Jan 2012 23:04 #4 by Christor (Chris Morrow)
Thanks guys actually seen a few more tonight so they definitely must be good little hiders, though i do have a lot of hidden spots from my view, but nothing to crawl into, but plan on making or adding a cave for moulting!

yeah nitrates i reckon dont help being so high and the soil may be constantly leaching ammonia, but its not bad considering it was off the scale to start, ill have to keep an eye on it, will be cycling and chanign water for a while longer :)

More
25 Jan 2012 01:33 #5 by omen (Conor)
I reckon you're good to go matey! I wouldn't worry about those nitrates, my water constantly tests at around 60+ and I've never had any problems. If you're looking to get rid of the algae bloom, pick out as much as you can before doing a 30-50% water change. Do this every 2 or 3 days for 2 weeks, and you should be algae free!

More
25 Jan 2012 20:18 #6 by Christor (Chris Morrow)
Thanks omen, yeah I will be starting to get more regular water changes, though the boost of co from them just conteracts it, update on the shrimp I see about 4 or so of the biggest shrimp, tbh the other didnt look proper cherries and may have been ghosts, all of which were a little small

survivors, or hopefully brave ones are out and about and feeding well so its looking good :)

will be calling soon omen for some cherries ;)

More
25 Jan 2012 20:46 #7 by omen (Conor)
No worries, I've shrimp ready and waiting for you! :D

If you want to maximise your population, stick a sponge on the filter intake. I always find 50+ shrimp living in my external when I clear it out. So I figure many more must get mangled on the way into it.

More
25 Jan 2012 20:58 #8 by smitas5 (Marius Smitas)
sponge filters are the best for shrimp setups i find

More
25 Jan 2012 21:26 #9 by Christor (Chris Morrow)
Could I just use tights or something over the filter? its a large U4 and I couldnt find any remains, but its a likel place for them I suppose, even though the little pumps quite narrow and at the very top..

anyway will tights, apart from obvious intake reduction cause other problems? its not intended to be shrimp specific, merely planted tan with shrimp but dont fancy spending lots on new shrimp every week, thanks for the help peeps

More
26 Jan 2012 22:31 #10 by omen (Conor)
You will likely lose a lot less with an internal filter. And if you wish to keep all the shrimp you can, tights over the filter intake are a great idea.

More
26 Jan 2012 23:00 #11 by Christor (Chris Morrow)
Yeah just looking at its layout the shrimp have to ne minute to even get to the pump, which in itself has a small crevice, yes they could squeeze but overall pretty compact filter, may try the tights when I get more for breeding, as babies will definitely get in easily.

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds