Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

axolotl, would it suit my tank?

• Alex (Alex)
  • Alex (Alex)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2012 16:27 - 10 Mar 2012 16:28 #1 by Alex (Alex)
axolotl, would it suit my tank? was created by Alex (Alex)
Hi,

Just wondering if this setup would be alright for an Axolotl...

the tank is about 80L but ill probably only fill it half way.... Its a long tank so there is quite alot of space on the bottom.

Im just using a Sponge filter (Iv been seeding it in my other tank for 3 months so it should be a quick cycle). If i only feed 3 times a week and do weekly 80% water changes do you think the sponge filter will be enough to handle to bioload...?

Im going to leave the bottom bare so its easy to clean.

Also have you noticed any Axolotl's for sale lately in any of the shops around dublin?

Thanks!

Last edit: 10 Mar 2012 16:28 by Alex (Alex).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2012 19:09 #2 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
Not so sure about 80% water changes or the filter being big enough but if you have no gravel and vacuum the ground really well every week ya should be ok nice looking setup btw

More
10 Mar 2012 19:26 #3 by SSS (Sion S)
That should be fine depending on the rating of your filter.
Are you filling it halfway for a certain reason or for aesthetics?
Looks good though!

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2012 19:50 #4 by Alex (Alex)
Replied by Alex (Alex) on topic Re: axolotl, would it suit my tank?
I cant get my hand in the tank without shifting it slighty... and i cant shift it when its full :lol: . I couldnt find another place in the gaff to put it.

If those lights can actually grow plants im going to put a load of moss/plants in to help keep the nitrates down. At the moment i have some floating plants in there... Ill know if the lights are any good next week (They were installed in the shelf years ago and were never really used... Two 20W bulbs).

The air pump im using is a Eheim 100 so there is alot of flow going through the sponge filter... I used the same filter for my crayfish and i never had a problem with high nitrates doing 50% weekly water changes so ill probably give it a go.

More
10 Mar 2012 20:28 #5 by SSS (Sion S)
Ah right, I only just noticed the "ceiling" above the tank, thats pretty cool actually.
You could always fill it up and just have a siphon handy for water changes and
emergencies.

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2012 20:43 #6 by Alex (Alex)
Yeah ill probably fill it up once iv finnished scaping the tank. I can change the water no problem without moving it so like you said i can always just drain it if i have an emergancy.

Here's a better pic of where it is.

More
10 Mar 2012 20:52 #7 by SSS (Sion S)
Yeah looks good!
Also they have albino Axolotls in Petmania in Kilkenny, and they had black ones and gold ones before too.

More
14 Mar 2012 00:45 #8 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
Hi axols dont like brightg lights and need floating plants to hid under ,, lots of hiding places and water kept cool esp in summer,, the best place to buy an axol and for info is the reptile shop in fishmable st dublin ,, there is nothing ben dosent know ,, i would not buy fr an pet shop ...there is also the amphibians and axolotl website lots of info ... and the best of luck ... great pet ,,

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Mar 2012 09:13 #9 by Alex (Alex)
Thanks for the info!!

Yeah Iv loads of floating plants in my other tank so im planning on completly covering the surface with em. ill deffo check out the reptile shop. I think iv been there before.

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2012 16:55 #10 by Alex (Alex)
Just a little update.

Ill probably go with a newt and iv made a little island area and all, Ill have a look in Reptile Haven in a couple a weeks at what they got.

I put some soil in a glass and popped a spider plant in it. the lip of the glass is just above the water line.
floating plants seem to be doin ok so i think the light are alright for growin.

I currently have a few tadpoles in there. fish em out of the pond. I figured my golfish would eat em. will put em back once they are nearly frogs.

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Mar 2012 19:40 #11 by Alex (Alex)
I found a new place for the tank and filled it, I decided ill go for an Axolotl. Prob get one this week at some stage.

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds