Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Setting up a shrimp tank?

More
16 Mar 2012 22:15 #1 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
just after settin us a 30L shrimp tank i was lookin to add a nice substrate that is ok for shrimp but also to grow a nice lookin carpet plany for the whole botton off the tank

i have a 11W lamp on it so something that will grow under it so id be lookin for is a carpet plant for it not sure wat type as off yet any ideas?

i will not be usen CO2 in this tank yet if any at all if i find a cheap nano system then i would but for now i wont

i can dose profito if i need to but im lookin for something that would be ok?

So i am just puttin it out there to see if anyone has any type off substrate that would suit be wouldnt need that much as is only a 30L tank

also on the look out for a carpet plant enouh be plant most off the botton again just puttin it out there to see if anyone has anything?

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2012 22:21 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Setting up a shrimp tank?
I'll throw you a few Cherries Tomorrow Sean.

Kev.

More
16 Mar 2012 22:48 #3 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
thanks kev but dont think id have it ready as i have only filled it tonight mate

have a crackin piece off wood in it just need to source a good substrate and a nice carpeting plants

this some be good as i no NOTHING about shrimp haha

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2012 22:53 #4 by stretnik (stretnik)
I have a small Bag , unopened , of Amazonia (ADA) for Sale Sean.

Kev.

More
16 Mar 2012 23:04 #5 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
would it be enough mate? could u om me a price

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2012 23:09 #6 by stretnik (stretnik)
Talktcha 2moro.

Kev.

More
19 Mar 2012 17:25 #7 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
I'm using fluval shrimp stratum find it really good and my plants are growin great using profito and easy carbo. Plants are braziliensis in the back and hemianthus for the carpet plant and it's growing brilliant also using fluval shrimpsafe for water changes makes tap water safe for shrimp best of luck with it

More
19 Mar 2012 20:44 #8 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
thanks mate i have ada sorted for the substrates and ill be addin cuba for the carpet will also be using profito and easycarbo so hope all goes well

just one thing u said u are using fluval shrimpsafe for water changes do unhae to use this in a shrimp tank or can u use the likes off aquasafe and prime??

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
19 Mar 2012 21:05 #9 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
I'm not actually sure on that I think adding specific shrimp water treatment would be best

More
20 Mar 2012 10:20 #10 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Hi Sean,

think your best option for advice on the ins and outs of water conditioners for shrimp tanks would be manius112 at Aquaworld. No harm to drop him a PM. Given the amount of shrimp he keeps and breeds, I dare say there is not much he does not know on the subject. He is also a very nice guy and will have no problems putting you on the right track :)

Cheers,

Bill.

More
20 Mar 2012 11:25 #11 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
yeah bill i am meant to be poppin out to his soon enough was only on the phone to him the other night he has to look at C02 regulator for me

as for the water conditioners i will only be keeping cherrys im sure there is a lot off ads on there that do keep them would love to see wat they have to say and just how easy are they to breed?

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
20 Mar 2012 18:45 #12 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
Cherry shrimp just need water to breed Sean ;) keep some really small fish like clown killies or endler guppies to keep the numbers down

More
21 Mar 2012 00:54 #13 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
ah i dont mind numbers as ill just pas them on for free here there is always ppl lookin for them

i cant wait to get t started and get some cherrys as i said its my forst time keepin shrimp so would be good to get it started

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds