Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Hardy RCS

More
28 May 2012 23:48 #1 by m4r10 (m4r10)
Hardy RCS was created by m4r10 (m4r10)
Decided it's time to clean the filter due to impurities floating in the water, and to my surprise I managed to rescue about 50 shrimps from the filter! They were spread in all 4 baskets of the filter and had to pay attention to every sponge and found a few even on the filter floss close to the output. As such, I spent almost an hour trying not to kill too many. Still I managed to squash a few when washing the sponges and found a dried one on the counter a couple hours later :blush:

Either they're trying to hide from the cardinals or the filter is too powerful. I don't want to cover the inlet as the flow will be reduced, but I'm banking on the shrimps to survive in the filter as they are proving to be some tough little buggers!

Just curious how anybody else is protecting their shrimps in a non-dedicated tank?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2012 05:19 - 29 May 2012 05:23 #2 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
I use a pick up filter/prefilter on the strainer of my eheim or you can use coarse filtering foam just wrap it around the inlet strainer thing. It wont reduce flow and will keep your external filter media cleaner. The shrimp will graze on the prefilter and stop them and fish being sucked up.

Stephen.
Last edit: 29 May 2012 05:23 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey).

More
29 May 2012 07:49 #3 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
i tend to use a sponge from and air pump filter fits very well over the intake of most canister filters, or you could get a shrimp guard on e-bay for over the intake either methos will work as will hicker12's

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
29 May 2012 08:04 #4 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
here's a link to the shrimp guard on ebay if your anyway handy i'd say you could easily make this yourself

www.ebay.ie/itm/280716850502?ssPageName=...id=p3984.m1423.l2649

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
29 May 2012 19:35 #5 by m4r10 (m4r10)
Replied by m4r10 (m4r10) on topic Re: Hardy RCS
Thanks guys for the ideas. I'm not too worried about them ending up in the filter as it seems are still a lot in the tank, just wanted to see if I'm alone in this situation - fishing out shrimps from the filter. By the looks of it, they seem to like it there as I only found 2 dead in the filter and 50 still pretty much alive. If they'll be in the same numbers the next time I clean the filter, then I'll put a guard or something on the inlet.

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds