Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

About to set up a 30L Shrimp Tank

More
24 Oct 2012 22:38 - 24 Oct 2012 22:42 #1 by Oto (Ed)
I'm just about to set up my first Shrimp tank. I'm using a 30L Aquel Shrimpset. I have 6 RCS in a community tank so hopefully I will get going in the next week. Has anyone got any advice or opinions on what plants or ornaments I should be using and how long before I introduce the shrimp to their new home(post cycling) etc etc. I'm attaching a few photos of the tank shrimp sand and rocks I have.
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Oct 2012 22:42 by Oto (Ed). Reason: Change photo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2012 06:39 #2 by Helen P (Helen Prout)
Hey Oto,

As soon as the tank is cycled, it should be ready for your shrimp (I put about 100 RCS into my 37l once it was cycled with no problems).

As for greenery, Shrimp love moss - Java & Christmas moss in particular, marimo balls are also quite cute in a small tank :) .

Also, although it may all just be smoke & mirrors, it is probably best to keep away from Cryptocoryne wendtii and Anubias Nano, as its been reported that when cut/damaged, these plants release a toxin which can kill off your shrimp.

Helen

More
28 Oct 2012 00:56 #3 by Oto (Ed)
Just came across an interesting aquascape if anyone has any opinions
Attachments:

More
28 Oct 2012 12:18 #4 by pit (Piotr Urbanski)

More
28 Oct 2012 12:31 #5 by Tigger (Abe Bardez)
Hi

You should pay Seahorse Aquariums a visit. They have a beautiful aquascaped tank for Shrimp. It is in the large inner room where the rest of the tanks are marine.

Cheers

Abe

More
28 Oct 2012 13:43 - 28 Oct 2012 13:53 #6 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
If your going to plant the tank make sure you have sufficient light output. I think that Aquel set comes with a 11 watt light? 11 watts I upgraded to a 26 watt light unit and my plants are hopping out of the tank! I also have Co2 and am using ferts.
When the time comes to add shrimp try to get the best quality you can. In my experience the lads in Aquaworld are the best and have excellent quality shrimp and plants.

Stephen.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...93-30l-shrimp-set-up
Last edit: 28 Oct 2012 13:53 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey). Reason: Added link

More
28 Oct 2012 17:57 - 28 Oct 2012 17:58 #7 by Oto (Ed)
Already been to Seahorse and Aquaworld. Seahorse's setups look ok but Aquaworld seem to understand what I'm trying to do a bit better. I've been trying to find suitable bogwood that will work to make the tree to no avail :S . I think that's my main stumbling block at the moment. Thanks for the imput though :)
Last edit: 28 Oct 2012 17:58 by Oto (Ed).

More
04 Nov 2012 17:29 #8 by Oto (Ed)
Just giving an update on my tank. I've still for to add the plants but the hardscape is done :cool:
Attachments:

More
04 Nov 2012 23:26 #9 by Oto (Ed)
Finished. Just another 2 weeks for the tank to cycle :cool:
Attachments:

More
05 Nov 2012 10:39 #10 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Looking good Oto, what plants have you used? That's java moss rite?

Stephen.

More
09 Nov 2012 22:49 #11 by Oto (Ed)
I've used Hemianthus by 1.2.Grow in the fore ground and some Vesicularia ferriei 'Weeping' scattered about the tank. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the moss on the tree but I know it's not java moss. The hemianthus is an advanced plant but so far it seems to be doing ok in the tank.

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds