Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Crayfish

More
16 Dec 2012 22:37 #1 by Debrick (Ciaran barrett)
Hi everyone ,
Just wondering if any type of crayfish cud be put in with Malawi cichlids I have a 450 liter tank wit loads of rocks what do people think
Any advice wud be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2012 10:53 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Crayfish
Have moved this from 'introduce yourself' to a much more appropriate location. Please set correct location for entry next time, it is quite important.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
17 Dec 2012 14:14 #3 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)
Welcome !

I think crayfish might have a bad time with the Malawis or maybe the other way around.

I have dwarf Mexican crayfish in my community fish tank and just yesterday I saw one catching a female dwarf rainbow fish.
Had to intervene and scared the crayfish a little to let the little fish go. Seriously thinking on taking crayfish out of tank to avoid casualties.

Lesson learned for me so maybe this will help you decide :-)

Regards,

Santiago

More
21 Feb 2013 17:53 #4 by DaveEnglish (David English)
From my own experience most African cichlids love nothing better than ripping into crays and the larger shrimp species. If you put the crays (doesn't really matter what species) in first for a few days and give them time to settle in and have a cave network to hide about in, you shouldn't have too many problems but don't be too surprised to have casualties on both sides over time. (Crayfish love to hunt about at night, however if they have insufficiently deep tunnels fish will go in to rip them apart after they moult)

More
21 Feb 2013 19:48 #5 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
IMO Crays and Mbuna just don't mix

More
21 Feb 2013 20:06 #6 by Debrick (Ciaran barrett)
Replied by Debrick (Ciaran barrett) on topic Crayfish
Hi guys ,
The crayfish are a no go so , I'd love to put in a fire eel but I have a gud few females
that carry a lot of the time and the fry wud end up as lunch for him
Debrick

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds