Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

bamboo shrimp not feeding the way they should...

More
23 Mar 2013 21:50 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
i have 2 bamboo shrimp about a month now and they only very occasionally filter feed. the rest of the time they forage, which i know is not a good sign. the thing is, they even do it when it would seem they don't need to. the tank is fairly mature, there's sometimes quite a bit of particulate matter floating around and the parameters are fine. it may be that the do more filtering at night, but i have no evidence to support that theory. even if i squirt food at them they don't usually fling out the jazz hands and start feeding! any suggestions?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2013 22:29 #2 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
When I had mine, I had to give them a raised area to lift them directly into the flow of the filter.....

What are they living with? There's no predators in there is there?

More
23 Mar 2013 22:39 #3 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Yeah they need to get into a good flow of water. I use a 900l power head and they love sitting on the java fern and feeding.

Stephen.

More
23 Mar 2013 22:56 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
at the moment they're in there with tetras, cories, otos, a bristlenose and amano and cherry shrimps, none of whom hassle them at all. they have quite a few options for elevated positions too, principally a huge piece of bogwood perfectly positioned for feeding. that's why i'm baffled :blink:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
23 Mar 2013 23:03 #5 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

at the moment they're in there with tetras, cories, otos, a bristlenose and amano and cherry shrimps, none of whom hassle them at all. they have quite a few options for elevated positions too, principally a huge piece of bogwood perfectly positioned for feeding. that's why i'm baffled :blink:

Hmmmm strange. They sit right in front of my power head sometimes on it and its quite "windy" there so they love the high flow.

Stephen

More
23 Mar 2013 23:06 #6 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Oh by the way mine seem to feed with the "jazz hands" at night when the lights are off so maybe check when the lights go off.

More
23 Mar 2013 23:46 #7 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Mine fed better with "jazz hands" in the dark too....
They are delicate enough creatures that like to hide and feed at the same time if at all possible!
Would it be possible for you to alter the flow to pass a hiding place where they like to be?

I had a small piece of bog wood that hid in behind a big plant.......
That gave them secure hiding place and direct flow at the same time

More
24 Mar 2013 10:35 #8 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
The bogwood I have is standing upright like a tree in front of the flow... with holes in it... and plants growing on and around it! Maybe I just bought 2 idiots that are too thick to figure out what their big, stupid, flappy hands are actually for! :crazy:

More
24 Mar 2013 10:40 #9 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

The bogwood I have is standing upright like a tree in front of the flow... with holes in it... and plants growing on and around it! Maybe I just bought 2 idiots that are too thick to figure out what their big, stupid, flappy hands are actually for! :crazy:

:laugh:

More
24 Mar 2013 11:14 #10 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Certainly sounds like you have it all setup properly!

Give them another few days and if they don't improve, try moving things around a bit and see if that helps

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds