Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Crystal Red Shrimp breeding question

More
12 Aug 2013 20:03 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I'm setting up a shrimp tank in the next few weeks and i'd love to put crystal red shrimp in it. however, I've read that it's very hard to get them to breed in anything less than 20g and the tank I have is only 13g. are they really that hard to breed in a smaller tank? is it just a water quality issue ie anything less than 20g is too hard to easily keep the water quality up? or something else?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2013 20:34 #2 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
I'm not to sure myself but I've heard its harder
To keep smaller bodies of water consistent
As in parameters!
But I'd say regular water changes(small and frequent)
With a good flow and you should be fine!

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
12 Aug 2013 21:17 #3 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Some say they require more room,however I know people who have bred them in small tanks also.
The general take on it however is that a larger tank seems to work better for them breeding. They are no where near as profilic as the cherry shrimp who will breed in a very small amount of water.

Gavin

More
13 Aug 2013 06:07 #4 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
I keep them in a 30l tank with no problems breeding them. If you have enough of them in a tank they will breed. They do like clean water and stable water parameters, I do a small water change every 2 days with remineralized RO water and a 50% W/C at the weekend this might be overkill but it works for me. Also make sure your tank is well cycled before adding good quality shrimp.

Stephen.

More
13 Aug 2013 08:29 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Thanks guys. So it sounds like a maintenance issue. If that's the case I might give them a try

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds