Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Sulawesi biotope questions

More
27 Aug 2013 13:15 - 27 Aug 2013 13:16 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Ok, so I'm leaning towards turning my 100L tank into a Sulawesi biotope when I get rid of all my convict cichlid fry in, oh I don't know... two or three YEARS!!! :crazy:

I'll be putting various Tylo snails and maybe 2-3 different shrimp types in it but I've a few questions...

Are there any other fauna suitable?

And what about flora (no butter jokes please!)? I know the lakes are alkaline and fairly bare of plants are there any that are geographically appropriate?

Should the tank be brightly lit as you would a rift lake tank or more subdued?

Any suggestions welcome

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."
Last edit: 27 Aug 2013 13:16 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2013 13:22 #2 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)
so this tank will only be shrimp ?

More
27 Aug 2013 16:22 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Mostly. I'd put fish in if they were appropriate to the biotope and there were only few of them

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
28 Aug 2013 19:28 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Has anyone set up a Sulawesi biotope?

More
28 Aug 2013 19:37 #5 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
I know sheag35 was looking into doing one, not sure did he set one up in the end, but he did loads of research on the subject.

More
28 Aug 2013 20:26 #6 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
I was going to do one but was finding it hard to get good quality Sulawesi shrimp. Dont think they travel well.

Stephen.

More
28 Aug 2013 21:31 #7 by Homer (Kevin)
The trick with Sulawesi Shrimp appears to be soft alkaline Water.

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
28 Aug 2013 21:51 #8 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I'm pretty certain that's what i'm going to use my 100L tank for. I've been toying with other ideas and of all of them this is the one that has the right balance of challenge and enjoyment for me right now. Been looking at videos of the lakes on youtube and I really want to make something that look natural

More
28 Aug 2013 21:57 #9 by Homer (Kevin)
I would suggest over filtration with a small external like a Fluval, Eheim etc, any drop in Water quality will result in dead Shrimp, Water changes must be of a temperature that has little or no variation in it, substrate should be crushed Coral mixed with a clean inert Sand and very little in the way of protein in the diet.

H.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
28 Aug 2013 22:00 #10 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

H.

most of the stuff I've been reading is talking about hard/alkaline... damn, if you're right it's going to be more of a challenge than I thought :hammer:

More
28 Aug 2013 22:10 - 28 Aug 2013 22:14 #11 by Homer (Kevin)

H.

most of the stuff I've been reading is talking about hard/alkaline... damn, if you're right it's going to be more of a challenge than I thought :hammer:

I have to agree with you, very conflicting info out there.

I think it depends upon which species you choose and the Lake they come from as different Lakes vary in ph kh gh etc.
H.

Last edit: 28 Aug 2013 22:14 by Homer (Kevin).

More
28 Aug 2013 22:25 #12 by Homer (Kevin)
Taken from Here

Water Parameters

It is widely accepted that across the board the water parameters for all sulawesi shrimp are pretty similar. In general, warm, medium hardness and slightly alkaline.

pH 7.5 to low 8-ish
Temp 82 plus minus 4 degrees F
GH around 6

H.

More
28 Aug 2013 22:42 #13 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

I would suggest over filtration with a small external like a Fluval, Eheim etc, any drop in Water quality will result in dead Shrimp, Water changes must be of a temperature that has little or no variation in it, substrate should be crushed Coral mixed with a clean inert Sand and very little in the way of protein in the diet.

H.

It's running with an Eheim classic, so I'll just be putting a sponge over the outlet. I plan on using river gravel; it's mostly granite with some limestone pebbles thrown in and they seem to keep the pH in one of my other tanks up around 7.6 or higher and I'm considering running 2 heater in the tank, just to more evenly spread the heat

More
29 Aug 2013 04:05 #14 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)

More
29 Aug 2013 07:30 - 29 Aug 2013 07:32 #15 by Homer (Kevin)
[/quote] I'm considering running 2 heater in the tank, just to more evenly spread the heat[/quote

A single submersible Heater should be sufficient if it is placed horizontally as close to the bottom of the Tank without touching the substrate as it would cause convection ensuring a good distribution of heat.

H.

Last edit: 29 Aug 2013 07:32 by Homer (Kevin).

More
29 Aug 2013 08:59 #16 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Cheers sheag35. There's some info there I hadn't seen before. Definitely had given me ideas.

@Homer given that they need fairly warm water, do you think I should get a heater with higher wattage than I might otherwise? Just to be sure to be sure?

More
29 Aug 2013 10:28 #17 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
The higher wattage heater will keep your water temperature more stable, more power= faster heating.
Make sure you use a quality heaterstat, so you lessen the risk of overheating, in case the heater sticks in the "on" position.

More
30 Aug 2013 10:51 #18 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Keep us informed about this project. Its something i would love to do. I have a 60l tank ready. If you know a good supplier of Sulawesi species let me know plzzzzzzzz :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: !!

Stephen

More
30 Aug 2013 10:53 #19 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Keep us informed about this project. Its something i would love to do. I have a 60l tank ready. If you know a good supplier of Sulawesi species let me know plzzzzzzzz :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: !!

Stephen

Will do ;)

More
30 Aug 2013 11:46 #20 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)

Stephen

Will do ;)

EASY talk to john in seahorse he will get them in for you no probs

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
30 Aug 2013 12:13 #21 by Homer (Kevin)
General consensus is that you leave them in the LFS for a few weeks, if they are stull alive after that period of time, they should be past the critical point.

H.

More
30 Aug 2013 12:29 #22 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

General consensus is that you leave them in the LFS for a few weeks, if they are stull alive after that period of time, they should be past the critical point.

H.

Yeah, I definitely think it's going to be the softly softly approach when I get them. I'm thinking that i'm going to leave it about 6-8 weeks after I fill it and switch on the filter before I put any shrimp in. Not just to mature the filter but also to let the rocks and wood green up a bit

More
30 Aug 2013 12:39 #23 by Homer (Kevin)
Smart man!

H.

More
30 Aug 2013 12:52 - 30 Aug 2013 13:11 #24 by Homer (Kevin)

Smart man!

H.

I posted a comment a good while ago of a way to increase important Algae and Bio film to feed fauna that required copious amounts of Algae or Biofilm, slot sheets of Glass into a container outdoors, divided by a method of your choice, remove as you would, frames from a Bee Hive and place in your Tank, remove when the Algae etc has diminished and replace on a cyclical basis.

Easy!

H.

Last edit: 30 Aug 2013 13:11 by Homer (Kevin).

More
30 Aug 2013 12:58 #25 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Smart man :laugh:

Sounds like a good idea, esp since I have a few unused window panes

More
30 Aug 2013 23:15 #26 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)

Smart man :laugh:

Sounds like a good idea, esp since I have a few unused window panes

windows are just badly made tanks :P

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
16 Sep 2013 11:00 #27 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
How are ya getting on with this biotope?

Stephen

More
16 Sep 2013 11:05 #28 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Done nothing so far except gather rocks. It'll be a while before I start it since there's 50 or so juvie convict cichlids living in it right now :pinch:

More
16 Sep 2013 11:07 #29 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

Done nothing so far except gather rocks. It'll be a while before I start it since there's 50 or so juvie convict cichlids living in it right now :pinch:

Lol ok you have your hands full so.

Stephen

More
16 Sep 2013 11:28 #30 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
They're a great fish as long as you only have ONE of the f¥£&€rs

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds