Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

striped red cherries

More
09 Feb 2014 21:25 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
i have a very small tank with a few red cherries in it and one or two are red striped with an otherwise translucent body. both are male. are low grade red cherries ever striped? or have I got two red tiger shrimp miscegenators in my tank?!

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2014 11:47 #2 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
I have a few the same. Meant to be sakura but defo not....

More
10 Feb 2014 13:35 #3 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Could you put a picture of them.
Male neocaridina shrimps are usually less colourfull than females and sakura have an opaque solid red colour.
Tiger shrimps dont interbreed with neocaridina.
Anthony

More
10 Feb 2014 13:57 #4 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Indeed but what u order is not always what u get.anyone know of a good supplier of quality sakura.

More
10 Feb 2014 14:19 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Could you put a picture of them.
Male neocaridina shrimps are usually less colourfull than females and sakura have an opaque solid red colour.
Tiger shrimps dont interbreed with neocaridina.
Anthony

I'll try and get a photo this evening but given my camerawork i doubt it'll help!
these aren't sakura either but the weren't sold as anything other than cherry shrimp and in that tank I'm not at all worried about the grade. I always thought that cherries and tiger/bumblebees could interbreed at a pinch - so it's good to know I'm wrong ;)

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
10 Feb 2014 14:42 #6 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Indeed but what u order is not always what u get.anyone know of a good supplier of quality sakura.

there's a guy in cork who has a Facebook page called Shrimp Ireland. I haven't bought any off him yet but they look good. Maybe give him a try

More
10 Feb 2014 16:17 - 10 Feb 2014 16:18 #7 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
I was in his place yesterday, he has a few nice shrimps and a few not so nice.
The only way to have the quality you want is to select breed them yourself or to order a lot and keep only tje few you like.
Everytime i go to his place i come back with3 or 4 max. They are not exactly what i want but i hope by breeding them together i will ge there but that means having a minimum of 2 tanks for every sub species.
Anthony
Last edit: 10 Feb 2014 16:18 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne).

More
14 Feb 2014 20:08 #8 by blade (Michael G)

there's a guy in cork who has a Facebook page called Shrimp Ireland. I haven't bought any off him yet but they look good. Maybe give him a try

I have bought red crystal from him in the past and quality is very good i find

More
14 Feb 2014 22:57 #9 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
I have bought shrimp from Marcin. Good quality snowballs and yellows. He also has some shrimp products...

More
14 Feb 2014 23:00 #10 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Oh well Antony another 10 tanks would be ok

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds