Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

RC shrimp ?

More
25 Mar 2014 00:09 #1 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
just found these guys a minute ago , some are RC babies , but some are sort of see-thru like this fella here , yea thats right cant see no shrimp here ..
oh wait ..
:blink: :blink: :woohoo:
so what are these ? At the moment ive RC , Yellow Sakura , and amano in one tank , it cant be amano as far as i know they need salt water to survive .. any ideas ?
:

**Neither a teacher nor a native speaker**

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2014 03:15 - 25 Mar 2014 03:16 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Hard to make anything out but it could also be RC/Sakura baby too. When they're v young they're almost colourless or white. It takes a few days before they colour up

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."
Last edit: 25 Mar 2014 03:16 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley).

More
25 Mar 2014 04:32 #3 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
yes it may be a hybrid....time will tell. if u have red cherrys with sakura, they will interbreed and you will loose the vivd colours of the parent sakura

More
25 Mar 2014 08:50 #4 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
Replied by ABdarudeone (Mick) on topic RC shrimp ?
didnnt even know these shrimp can cross so ill just wait and see , assuming not all will get sucked into the pipe :evil:
Im after wraping a sheet of filter mat around the filter inlet , but its black in no time .
im afraid when its stuffed theres not enough flow.. whats the best option to keep them safe - not even thinking bout fishing them out

More
25 Mar 2014 08:56 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

didnnt even know these shrimp can cross so ill just wait and see , assuming not all will get sucked into the pipe :evil:
Im after wraping a sheet of filter mat around the filter inlet , but its black in no time .
im afraid when its stuffed theres not enough flow.. whats the best option to keep them safe - not even thinking bout fishing them out

actually, I'm not even sure it counts as interbreeding since RC and Sakura are variations, not separate species.

I got an old filter sponge and cut a slit in it so I could shove it over the end of the filter pipe. It takes much longer to clog, if at all, and technically it adds to your biological filtration :cool:

it won't catch every single one, but it'll improve the odds considerably

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
25 Mar 2014 09:42 #6 by dshamrock2000 (Dave)
Replied by dshamrock2000 (Dave) on topic RC shrimp ?
Rather than mess with or worry about the filter I'd put in something that they can hide in that's nice and dark, I turned on my aquarium lights back in January to see several tiny shrimp babies, they moved in behind the filter where theres a tiny gap because its pitch dark, when I shone a light to see where they went there was quite a few of them and they all started to come out again to get away from the light etc
Best to have the habitat going forward than worrying about having to change filter arrangements etc

More
25 Mar 2014 10:07 #7 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
Replied by ABdarudeone (Mick) on topic RC shrimp ?
Ha !at least i think i know what to do now.. ill double the chance by sticking some sort of cave inside the tank , and keeping the filter pipe covered ..makes any sense ?

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds