Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

assassin snails

More
09 Apr 2014 00:11 - 13 Apr 2014 00:00 #1 by flint1 (Ricky McNulty)
Ive a big assassins problem they will not stop multiplying i have loads and the keep on laying eggs. They come in all different sizes. Any ideas on how to stop them breading. Dont really want 2 get a fish that just eats them
Last edit: 13 Apr 2014 00:00 by flint1 (Ricky McNulty).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2014 04:47 #2 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Are you sure they are assassin snails? Brown with yellow strips? They are usually slow to breed and it would be unusual to have an outbreak of them.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clea_helena

More
09 Apr 2014 11:07 #3 by flint1 (Ricky McNulty)
I'm positive that they are assassins there's definitely well over 100 all different sizes and eggs all on the glass and bog wood and the bigger ones are in groups of 4 or 5 on each other

More
09 Apr 2014 11:38 #4 by joemc (joe mc)
Replied by joemc (joe mc) on topic assassin snails
if you have both sexes and feed them well they will reproduce, once they start you will have an endless amount of them, you will see the single almost square shaped eggs all over the tank, along the silicon seems, on wood on rocks etc as you described they are not as productive as the pest snails though

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
09 Apr 2014 13:20 #5 by flint1 (Ricky McNulty)
Joemc any ideas on how to get out of my tank

More
09 Apr 2014 14:22 #6 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Remove them by hand or if was me i would start selling them or giving them away.

More
09 Apr 2014 16:38 #7 by flint1 (Ricky McNulty)
Would you like any??? haha

More
09 Apr 2014 16:47 #8 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Yeah for sure i will take some off ya. Im sure other members will take some off you also. What part of North Dublin you in?

More
09 Apr 2014 17:36 #9 by joemc (joe mc)
they are easy to remove , just pick them out when you spot them, as mentioned above there will be plenty of members that would like to take a few from you.
to reduce the breeding just reduce the amount of food you add to the tank, to trap them, leave the tank unfed for a day or two, then add some sinking foods at lights out time, leave the tank for 20 minutes, come back and scoop them out by the netfull! you will find that there are a lot more than you think, I reckon 70-80% of them are hidden under the substrate
oh and start the giving away with the larger ones that are of breeding size
one more thing, don't be tempted to use any of the the snail killing medications as those that die will foul the water

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

More
09 Apr 2014 18:02 - 09 Apr 2014 18:04 #10 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
I will give u a Euro each . I would like ten.. if your interested. Message me. I have 5 in one tank no joy on theme baby front abd they can't control my pest snail issues
Last edit: 09 Apr 2014 18:04 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding).

More
09 Apr 2014 22:38 #11 by flint1 (Ricky McNulty)
@ joemc thanks for the help. picking them out is the easy part theirs that many of them it sometimes looks like the gravel is moving ha
I'll try that way to catch allot in 1 go. i now most of them hide in the gravel some are so small they could fit in the eye of a needle and about the chemicals didn't want to use them or a fish that eats them either

More
13 Apr 2014 00:03 - 14 Apr 2014 21:45 #12 by flint1 (Ricky McNulty)
Does anyone know if this is assassins mating
Last edit: 14 Apr 2014 21:45 by flint1 (Ricky McNulty).

More
13 Apr 2014 08:51 - 13 Apr 2014 08:59 #13 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic assassin snails
I am not doubting you but the Gravel moving sounds more like Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!
Last edit: 13 Apr 2014 08:59 by Homer (Kevin).

More
13 Apr 2014 10:09 #14 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Malaysian Trumpet Snails can resemble Assassins sometimes colourwise. .They have a similar conical shape also...

And if they are in fact MTSs they apparently breed like crazy and also spend most of their time in the sand/substrate sifting through it for food..

Is it maybe possible that you have Assassin's and that MTSs somehow sneaked in along with them or on a plant maybe....

Just a thought....

More
13 Apr 2014 10:26 - 13 Apr 2014 10:27 #15 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
After another bit of investigating it seems that the Assassin snail will hunt its prey by sitting just below the substrate surface and waiting for its opportunity..so it's similar in behaviour to the MTS as well as regards existing in the substrate..

Hope ya get this problem solved Flint...

In the meantime make yourself a little profit selling the little gits :P
Last edit: 13 Apr 2014 10:27 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered).

More
13 Apr 2014 12:33 - 13 Apr 2014 14:45 #16 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic assassin snails

I am not doubting you but the Gravel moving sounds more like Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

Kev.

+1

John

Edit - In the light of Stephen's subsequent news it's good to be proved wrong.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2014 14:45 by JohnH (John). Reason: Addition

More
13 Apr 2014 13:47 #17 by joemc (joe mc)
the assassins will make your gravel move in large quantities when food is added, not to the extent that mts will though, a picture will resolve an lingering doubts as to what the snail species we are talking about is, even a picture from the internet resembling the snails you have would do
cheers
joe

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

More
13 Apr 2014 13:47 #18 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Just been over with flint1 and i can confirm they are 100% assassin snails. Very nice chap also.

Stephen

More
13 Apr 2014 15:15 #19 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic assassin snails
Well done and seconded JH's comment, they aren't usually reported because of explosive reproduction, quite the opposite.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
13 Apr 2014 15:52 #20 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
If anyone is going to get some off him be aware he has a vicious trained killer dog FYI :P :P :P

Stephen

More
13 Apr 2014 22:16 #21 by flint1 (Ricky McNulty)
Haha my killer dog more like a big cat :laugh: :laugh:
hope the snails look well in your tank Stephen
@joemc i cant upload any pics it won't allow me to because i took a pic of a big group of them and was wondering if that was them mating

More
13 Apr 2014 22:20 #22 by flint1 (Ricky McNulty)
@ Gunnered1972 Thanks for the advice and I have plenty of them there if you want any ?

More
13 Apr 2014 22:30 #23 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
No problem Flint..
I will keep your offer in mind..
Take a positive out of a negative and maybe ya might make a few bob out of this situation :)

Apparently overfeeding is a classic cause of snail outbreaks..Maybe keep that in mind for future reference..

More
13 Apr 2014 22:52 #24 by flint1 (Ricky McNulty)
I've cut down on feeding and i hope i don't get another outbreak again already have loads of eggs all over the tank

More
14 Apr 2014 09:26 #25 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)
Give your LFS a shout and see if they will give you store credit for the snails. As the lads said, they are very popular in the hobby, so there is always a demand. It's no longer a snail problem if it helps pay for your hobby!
LoB

More
14 Apr 2014 10:08 #26 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Put them up for sale on here ;)
There will be takers for sure! :cool:

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds