Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

shrimp price and size

More
02 Sep 2014 19:45 - 05 Sep 2014 01:05 #1 by apm (Andy McKenna)
Recently received a delivery of RCS from a well known supplier , price was €3-95 each , good colour , healthy looking ,but they averaged 6mm in length.
Some even smaller , largest 8mm, is this about the right price for RCS of this size?
I know young shrimp are small but for that money would expect a bit larger and stronger.
Should look before I buy , but more or less housebound at present and no shrimp of any colour available locally , with the exception of saltwater of course.
Be interested to hear the average size and price people are paying in different areas.

sorry should have posted under freshwater inverts and amphibians

Edit:
Moved now.
Last edit: 05 Sep 2014 01:05 by JohnH (John). Reason: added an edit

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2014 20:33 #2 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
The reason they send you the shrimps that small is to make money !
The turn over is quicker and they save on feeding.I guess the shrimps are around 1-2 months old so you will have to wait quiet a while until they breed.
Personnally i will never sell shrimps less than 4 months old.
For the price it all depends on quality assuming the shrimps were of a decent size.

Anthony

More
23 Sep 2014 23:04 #3 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Honestly there are lots of shrimp keepers here and would gladly help you out. All really nice guys and gals too.

More
23 Sep 2014 23:42 #4 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic shrimp price and size
I bought 12 Sulawesi Cardinal shrimp ( Caridina dennerli ) Monday gone and they too were small, there are two ways to look at this, one, the smaller ones have a much better survival rate than the adults, they also are not with eggs which if they were berried, there is s chance of abortion of same and difficulties with water quality etc. when in bags, the second point is that Shrimp on the whole are not long lived, I personally do not want to receive, stock that is already old and also miss out on their development, the moulting etc, be patient in everything, like I said in a previous post re people changing their setups three months into its development, so much is lost to hobbyists out of an eagerness to get to breeding etc, some Buenos Aires tetras only start to show their true majesty after a year or two as do Congo tetras, buy em young and watch em grow, we wouldn't like our children to be born as eighteen olds,savour the stages of growth and get to know the intricacies of their development.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
24 Sep 2014 07:10 #5 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
I couldnt agree less, shrimps 6-8 mm are weaker than the shrimps that are 10-15 and for the colouring getting better with age, it is usually the opposite with shrimps especially the crs.
Glad to hear you got some dennerli, hope they are tank bred.

Anthony

More
24 Sep 2014 08:42 #6 by Homer (Kevin)
I guess we disagree on the point of small vs Adults but don't you think a younger animal would be a better purchase due to their very ephemeral life span?? At least that way, you get to enjoy it longer?

Here is an except from Tropical Fish Magazine....

"RCS are becoming increasingly available at pet stores. You can also purchase them online from many different sources. Look for younger, small shrimp, as they ship much better than older ones. They may not have great color at this stage, but be patient and they will color up for you soon enough."

I know if we trawl the internet we will find articles to support either side but I base my opinion mainly on experience, a complaint could equally be made re charging extra for berried females, especially when the female could abort or as is sometimes the case, the shrimplets are prematurely released resulting in deformed carapaces etc.

Each to their own and I guess its just down to personal opinions.

The Cardinals were in fact Tank bred in Germany.

Kev.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
24 Sep 2014 12:39 #7 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
I didnt know people where charging more for berried females but there are cowboys everywhere. I would expect than the female would release the eggs prematurely so no shrimplets.
For the colour of crs, i have 3 different lines and i have yet to see a young shrimp who shows better coloration with age.
I have around 300+ at any giving time and bring 50 monthly to the lfs.
Are the dennerli from shrimp vision ?
I should be in Dublin next sunday, if you are around i will take the perspex ifyou still have it.

Anthony

More
24 Sep 2014 12:59 #8 by Homer (Kevin)
No probs, call me on 0879975849 in advance.

If you have any samples........... :)

Kev.

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds