Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Forum upgraded

More
31 Aug 2016 11:33 #1 by JohnH (John)
Forum upgraded was created by JohnH (John)
You will have noticed that the Forum has been upgraded with a nice clean shiny new interface.

This is all thanks to Darragh, for which we are extremely grateful.

Thanks (as ever) Darragh.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2016 12:37 #2 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Replied by Jonlate (Jon Late) on topic Forum upgraded
I just logged on and thought "what's happened here! Everything is in the wrong places!"
I will take a stroll around now and try and find out how to working it all. But so far it's looking good.
Thanks Darragh.

More
31 Aug 2016 13:03 #3 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Replied by Jonlate (Jon Late) on topic Forum upgraded
Hi John,
Just looking around the site and noticed how much harder it is to see new posts.
After logging in I used to go to the "forum" tab the chose "recent posts"
Now I need to go to "forum" but when I go to the drop down menu nothing happens.
Underneath the drop down box is the link to "forum-category index"
If I click on the "category index" link then the page changes and the drop down box can be opened and I can chose "recent topics, new topics, no replies etc"

Is this normal or is it just an iPad problem?

I don't want to complain after the hard work that's been done, but am just asking.
Well done though.

More
31 Aug 2016 13:26 #4 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Forum upgraded
It's just one extra step, but well worth the slight inconvenience.
It's the same on the laptop and desktop here - so not just confined to iPads.
Personally I have bookmarked 'Recent Topics' but I don't suppose this will be possible with your machine?

And...there's no credit due to me - all congratulations go to Darragh.

John

ITFS member.

More
31 Aug 2016 13:55 #5 by dave000000 (D H)
Replied by dave000000 (D H) on topic Forum upgraded
looks great - well done Darragh

More
31 Aug 2016 16:43 #6 by robert (robert carter)
Hi john , took me half an hour to get logged it , just as i master uploading photos and then putting up links , the forum set up changes , ah well it will give me something to master while onthe beach in spain . It certainly looks a lot more modern , do we still have to resize photos . Robert

More
31 Aug 2016 17:33 #7 by JohnH (John)

Hi john , took me half an hour to get logged it , just as i master uploading photos and then putting up links , the forum set up changes , ah well it will give me something to master while onthe beach in spain . It certainly looks a lot more modern , do we still have to resize photos . Robert

I haven't checked - but would assume you will still have to reduce the file size - enjoy your trip.

John

ITFS member.

More
31 Aug 2016 19:00 #8 by nomad (pat murphy)
Replied by nomad (pat murphy) on topic Forum upgraded
On my phone I press on Forum and after next page "forum-category index" does not show,i don't get the link and so no change with the empty drop down menu...

More
31 Aug 2016 20:14 #9 by JohnH (John)
Sorry Nomad, I don't access the Forum using a phone - but can anyone advise (please).

John

ITFS member.

More
31 Aug 2016 21:23 #10 by nomad (pat murphy)
Cheers John,hopefully someone here has the solution to the problem,when you cant access the ITFS website when mobile its like taking a trip backwards with technology being confined to a desk top computer and landline....

More
31 Aug 2016 21:43 #11 by robert (robert carter)
Hi , i dont have a problem logging in from my phone , and i also tried using my mobile broardband and my tablet and again was able to log in . ROBERT

More
31 Aug 2016 22:11 #12 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Im not having any issues with login in with my phone, but there is not drop down menu to find recent posts on the forums mobile version now. Is that what your saying Nomad?

More
31 Aug 2016 22:53 - 31 Aug 2016 23:57 #13 by nomad (pat murphy)
That's exactly whats happening Sukhan
on my phone ...
Last edit: 31 Aug 2016 23:57 by nomad (pat murphy). Reason: miss spelt name

More
31 Aug 2016 23:53 #14 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
For everyone thats having this issue here is a link to bookmark so you will always get the recent discussions layout. Its still there just the link seams to be gone.

John/Darragh any change that this could be added to the main forum index to make it easier for people to find.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/forum/recent

More
01 Sep 2016 00:21 #15 by nomad (pat murphy)
Cheers Sukahn,working fine on my phone now...ps.tried on my phone again now "forum-category index" its gone again ???????????

More
01 Sep 2016 02:08 #16 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
"forum-category index" seams to be now entitled forum index as far as i can tell.

I noticed until you sign in and click remember me it doesnt always show the drop down menus on the index page. But ive tried it a few times now since ive been logged in taht both new drop down menus seam to be working properly on both the mobile and internet versions of the site.

Hope this is some help to you.

More
01 Sep 2016 13:01 #17 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic Forum upgraded
how do u just check newly listed posts with this set up

More
01 Sep 2016 13:29 #18 by JohnH (John)
Alan,
It's Forum>Recent Topics

John

ITFS member.

More
01 Sep 2016 20:21 #19 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Replied by Eric (Eric Corcoran) on topic Forum upgraded
When you log in from your phone which I do rather than the laptop press "home" and scroll down to the bottom to see all recent posts

Eric

More
02 Sep 2016 10:16 #20 by alan 64 (alan)
seems to work the odd time on my phone but i have no option on my laptop to see recent posts

More
02 Sep 2016 20:43 #21 by alan 64 (alan)
I must say i am not a big fan of the new setup

More
05 Sep 2016 12:07 #22 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic Forum upgraded
I don't know if things were changed in the last few days but I think the new setup is the bizz.........I'm normally useless at adjusting to forum changes and would get very frustrated at it but I find the forum to be as nippy as ever to navigate around and the layout is much more modern............i'm on a laptop now in saying all that!!

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
06 Sep 2016 23:02 #23 by alan 64 (alan)
On my laptop and on my phone i have no option to show me the latest threads started i find this very frustrating as i use to log on several times during the day to see what new posts have been added

More
07 Sep 2016 00:01 - 07 Sep 2016 08:34 #24 by JohnH (John)
Alan,
I don't know (as stated before) about using a phone to access the Forum, but it works fine for me to see recent posts on PC.
I start with the Forum Home Page and log in (on the right).
Then there's a welcome (actually the list of most recent posts appears below this, but you can either use this, or not use it).
On the far left there's MAIN MENU and the third option down is 'FORUM'.
If you click on that you will see (slightly to the right) 'FORUM'> 'CATEGORY INDEX' Click on that - Category Index) which will bring you to the 'GENERAL TOPICS' page. Under the lower advertisement banner the second option is 'RECENT TOPICS' - click on this and you'll get to the RECENT DISCUSSIONS page, where you'll be able to see the most recent posts.

I hope this helps shed some light on it - at least with your PC.

John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 07 Sep 2016 08:34 by JohnH (John). Reason: amendment

More
07 Sep 2016 07:37 #25 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Forum

Category Index (Its above where it says GENERAL)

Recent Topics

More
07 Sep 2016 10:03 #26 by alan 64 (alan)
Yea the category index button when i click it nothing happens it worked once or twice before but now its not working, and when i log in on my laptop there is no category index menu on the top left its just s blank bar, on the home page i can see recent posts but it looks like its just a limited amount

More
07 Sep 2016 10:47 - 07 Sep 2016 10:49 #27 by JohnH (John)
Alan, after I click the CATEGORY INDEX the following bar appears (but only when I'm logged-in):

From this the second one along is RECENT TOPICS. Click that and this list (from last night) appears:

This is on my laptop - and desktop - PC.

Additional Note:
I'm wondering if the server won't let you access the Forum from two sources simultaneously now which might explain why it has worked with the phone, but not the laptop.
I also note that your status changes to 'Logged-in' but 'Away' from time to time. Maybe you have to fully log out and log in again with the other source (Laptop or Phone - but not at the same time).

Is anyone else experiencing the same difficulties as this?

John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 07 Sep 2016 10:49 by JohnH (John). Reason: addition

More
07 Sep 2016 23:53 #28 by alan 64 (alan)
thanks lads i have it working now

More
23 Sep 2016 13:54 #29 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
I`m sorry to say but I`m struggling with the new set up. I mostly log in from my ipad, with which is unfortunately incompatible. The format is all over the place and its hard to navigate as its too zoomed in (if you know what I mean). For the same reason I havent been here ages. Its just impossible to get around when you not on laptop :(

Tom

More
24 Sep 2016 09:48 #30 by robert (robert carter)
I couldnt get into the forum for the entire evening last night , sorry but bring back the old system

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds