Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Forum difficulties.

More
13 Sep 2016 08:51 #1 by JohnH (John)
Right now I am personally having some problems with the new-format Forum.

Now, I'm very much hoping these are confined to me - because of my antiquated laptop, so I'm asking everyone to please comment on whether they are, indeed, confined to me - or are others experiencing difficulties too?

I have reported it, but so far the problems remain here so I'm suspecting a new PC is the order of the day.

So if no-one else is 'suffering', so be it and at least I know you aren't all struggling too.

But co-operation in this one instance (observations either way) is requested.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2016 09:55 #2 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic Forum difficulties.
yeh i'm having trouble aswell John...........a few times yesterday I couldn't get on and again about an hour ago it was the same,but then after a while it was grand again.

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
13 Sep 2016 10:23 #3 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Hi John,
My problems are still as previously reported. If I have "remember me" checked, the next time I log in the system tells me I'm logged in and allows me to post etc. However I'm shown as "away" on the forum and my name is missing from the list of "logged-in" users. I can rectify it by unchecking the "remember me" box, but I often forget and it is the default setting. It hasn't caused me problems as such, which is why I haven't pursued it.
That's the only forum glitch I have found, otherwise everything works OK for me. But I only use a PC.
Bill

More
13 Sep 2016 10:29 #4 by robert (robert carter)
Hi John, i am in spain on holidays and log on regulally and arnt having any problems . Robert

More
13 Sep 2016 13:39 #5 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
I have been okay since I set my bookmarks to the right setting so I can click on the new-posts drop down menu straight away. I use iPad and phone.
But have just noticed I am offline as I type this, but that's not a big deal to me.
Overall I couldn't say which one was the best, we all knew the old version, but once we know where to go this will be easy to use.

Can we put signatures on yet, as the old version would let us new ones do that!?

What problems are you having?

More
13 Sep 2016 20:57 - 13 Sep 2016 21:06 #6 by nomad (pat murphy)
LOL John,no new pc yet your going to have to wait on santa..
I have ITFS on my laptop under favourates and when I click on that a good few times I get a page up saying.......The website cannot display the page......now straight away when this happens I type ITFS in the google search and click on it there and get immediate access to the ITFS webste.Sometimes on my phone I cant get access just a white screen...

p.s also found at times when I log out of the site it could be a couple of hours later and its showing me as still logged in ...
Last edit: 13 Sep 2016 21:06 by nomad (pat murphy). Reason: p.s

More
13 Sep 2016 22:29 #7 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Im suffering as much as everyone else is. Sign in not showing me as being online, as im currently offline now according to the site.

Having the issues of the forums not showing all the time either, and the drop down menus dont seam to work on my phone but working fine on the PC as long as you go into the forums the old fashion way by using the menus, not using my older bookmarks.

More
14 Sep 2016 00:15 #8 by nomad (pat murphy)
Its been about an hour since I could get an operational functional website,was having the same problems as before but this time when I got the ITFS on the google search
anything I clicked on I got the usual .....................The website cannot display the page.....its starting to get a bit of a pain saying it politely ...

More
14 Sep 2016 17:47 #9 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Forum difficulties.
Thanks for the feedback so far, it appears I'm not the only one experiencing difficulties, although my biggest problem is when trying to navigate through different parts of the Forum I am met with a blank screen and a black (possibly navy blue) spot in the page tab above.
Sometimes I can refresh the page and all's well - but more often than not I'm still faced with the 'black-spotted' blank page.
As with Nomad, I can sometimes get back to the Forum by typing ITFS Forum into the search engine, but more often I can't.
And I, too, find I'm designated offline, even though I am in fact online - but this really is only a minor inconvenience for me.

We did go offline for much of this afternoon, but Darragh has waved his magic wand and we're back (usual thank to him) but please feel free to add to this if you'd like to.

John

ITFS member.

More
14 Sep 2016 18:17 #10 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic Forum difficulties.
The forum seems to go down alot is there any particular reason for that

More
14 Sep 2016 19:03 #11 by robert (robert carter)
Hi , wasnt able to log in this afternoon , personnally i prefered the old format . Robert

More
14 Sep 2016 20:21 #12 by wildlifebiology93 (Sean O'Sullivan)
First time I have successfully been able to log in for about a week.
This is what i see when I have tried
The www.irishfishkeepers.com page isn’t working
www.irishfishkeepers.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

More
14 Sep 2016 23:25 #13 by nomad (pat murphy)
Has taken me hours on and off trying to login to the site and no joy, when I google ITFS and eventually I get to the main page anything after I click on is page cannot be displayed or similar.I think the old adage if its not broke don't fix it comes into play here in this situation,especially with the major bugs,glitches and frustration that it its causing..

More
17 Sep 2016 22:27 #14 by nomad (pat murphy)
Have been having problems with trying to access this website since last post on and off.Have been able to access the home page but anything I click on after brought me to a 500 invalid page.Same thing was trying to access the site through my mobile phone,i saw on my laptop there was a major windows 10 update to download which I did and it took nearly 2 hours to download but so far i can access any part of the site,wondering is there a coincidence happening...

More
17 Sep 2016 23:34 #15 by nomad (pat murphy)
Just an update,i have full access to the ITFS website now since I downloaded the windows 10 update tonight on my laptop. MYmobile now can access the site,weird....

More
18 Sep 2016 00:22 #16 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Forum difficulties.
It could be a coincidence, but much of the 'difficulties' seem to be better behaved so it might be that - although Darragh is away working abroad for the moment - my suspicion is that he has spent a bit of time on it for us.
But whatever - it's great that much of the Forum is better available, and long may it stay that way.

John

ITFS member.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds