Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Fish tank in college for mental health students

More
16 Jan 2018 11:55 #1 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
So today I checked in with Paul who got in contact with the itfs Facebook page.

Its a fine big tank that has not been maintained its a custom tank of about 400 plus litres its being filtered with a fluval 206 external filter that seems to be on the way out witch even when working properly isn't filtering the tank sufficiently.

Few plastic plants and stone substrate.

Paul had said their is a few students that have shown an intrest in it.

So I suggested changing the gravel to crushed coral and getting a few stones from the beach for hardscape.

Showed him some pictures of some tanganyikan cichlids frontosa brichardi Julie's etc.

So I was thinking of what ever species go's in the tank printing off some care guide sheets and some maintenance guides(I can print all them off in work)

Paul had said he was going to get in touch with the student union for some funding for the change 200 max 250.

Im asking all sponsors if they could donate some fish or equipment for this tank its really for a great cause the college does great work and Paul said the tank has a calming effect on the students so I would love to have it looking amazing for them.

Or if any forum members had fish they could donate or an external also.

The water in the tank feels cold there is a 50watt heater in the tank that obviously isn't heating sufficiently.

As I said it's for a great cause and I would love if the fish keeping community could band together and help out and not even need the potential money from the student union.

So if their is any sponsors that could help and also forum members it would be great.

I took a water sample that I'll test told Paul I would be in touch again over the next 2 days so hopefully some sponsors or members have got back with replys and can donate things.

In the mean time I might ring around to the sponsors now see what type of response I get.

If anyone wants to get in touch with me regarding the college tank pm me for my number or email address.

Hope we can get this tank looking fantastic for the students.

Regards
Craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2018 16:19 #2 by ger310 (Ger .)
I've a 300w Fluval heater here you can have and if it's the tanganyikan route you are going down I have a good sized bag of shells here aswell.....i might have some decent sized stones down in the shed i can have a look for later too.

I have a broken foot at the minute though so they would have to be collected Craig ok

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
16 Jan 2018 16:42 #3 by JohnH (John)
You're so right Craig, heating is totally inadequate as is the filtration - even a brand new 206 would in no way effectively filter a tank that size.
Kudos to Ger for the donation of a 300w heater.
Any more offers for Craig and his project?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
16 Jan 2018 17:37 #4 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)

I've a 300w Fluval heater here you can have and if it's the tanganyikan route you are going down I have a good sized bag of shells here aswell.....i might have some decent sized stones down in the shed i can have a look for later too.

I have a broken foot at the minute though so they would have to be collected Craig ok

Ger

Top man ger I'll be in touch with to arrange collection.

Thanks again

Regards
Craig

More
16 Jan 2018 18:34 #5 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Fair play to you, Craig, I'll have a hunt through and see what I have for donation.
Bill

More
19 Jan 2018 13:24 #6 by PompeyBill (Killian Walshe)
Hi Lads, haven't posted on here on a while but I have one of those All Pond Solutions external filters lying around if it is any help? Aquarium External Filter 1400 L/H 1400EF according to my email from a few years ago. It may need some new tubing on the intake as I had an external filter booster on it, but its yours if you want it, no worries if not. I live in Sandyford and work in Citywest if either of those are convenient.

More
20 Jan 2018 11:31 #7 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)

Hi Lads, haven't posted on here on a while but I have one of those All Pond Solutions external filters lying around if it is any help? Aquarium External Filter 1400 L/H 1400EF according to my email from a few years ago. It may need some new tubing on the intake as I had an external filter booster on it, but its yours if you want it, no worries if not. I live in Sandyford and work in Citywest if either of those are convenient.[/quote that would be great mate I'm living in loughlinstown so down the road from you

More
22 Jan 2018 13:40 #8 by PompeyBill (Killian Walshe)

Hi Lads, haven't posted on here on a while but I have one of those All Pond Solutions external filters lying around if it is any help? Aquarium External Filter 1400 L/H 1400EF according to my email from a few years ago. It may need some new tubing on the intake as I had an external filter booster on it, but its yours if you want it, no worries if not. I live in Sandyford and work in Citywest if either of those are convenient.

that would be great mate I'm living in loughlinstown so down the road from you

No worries. Let me make sure I have everything for it and I'll give a shout

More
25 Jan 2018 13:17 #9 by JohnH (John)
This is most disappointing - apart from Ger and PompeyBill's generous offers to the best of my knowledge Craig has received no other offers of equipment to re-establish this tank.
He is offering his time and effort for this project on behalf of the college so please check in cupboards and drawers (or anywhere else you might have unused Aquatic equipment laying around) and let Craig know if you've anything you might think would be of benefit.
It would bring great publicity to both the Forum, Sponsors and indirectly the Fishkeeping Community in Ireland as a whole if this project is hoped to be of great help to the attendees of the college.

Please try to help.

John

ITFS member.

More
26 Jan 2018 19:13 #10 by robert (robert carter)
Hi john , i dont have anything that i can give as i now have 8 tanks running but would gladly give a cash donation towards the purchase of needed equipment

More
29 Jan 2018 15:01 #11 by JohnH (John)

Hi john , i dont have anything that i can give as i now have 8 tanks running but would gladly give a cash donation towards the purchase of needed equipment

Robert, a thoughtful offer perhaps you could send a PM to Craig and see if he needs any financial help. As far as I know he is waiting on the result of the College's application for a monetary grant.

Perhaps when he knows more Craig will let us know how things are progressing.

John

ITFS member.

More
29 Jan 2018 15:18 - 29 Jan 2018 15:18 #12 by alan 64 (alan)
I have a t5 lighting double bulb powerpack if ye need lighting mate also a 5 foot t8 double bar system
Last edit: 29 Jan 2018 15:18 by alan 64 (alan).

More
30 Jan 2018 08:25 #13 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Up to my tonsils in work have been in constant contact with Paul.

I'll post an update later on this evening.

Regards
Craig

More
13 Feb 2018 03:40 #14 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
unfortunately my shift in work has changed i am on a 24/7 shift cycle

also my wife is back working full time so when im not on shift im looking after the kids the time constants are just to much to find the time needed to do this tank.

i havent been able to meet with people who generously donated anything for this cause im trying to meet bill for about 3 weeks to collect some fish off him.

this project is really for a great cause i really am frustrated i dont have the time required o this tank.

i hope someone can step in and replace me.

and just a note thank you so much to every one who donated i really have just been to busy to arrange pick ups.

regards
craig

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds