Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Feeding arowana

More
06 Apr 2012 20:09 #1 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Hi guys,

My arowana is about 1.5 feet and just wanted to check that he's getting enough food. He's currently eating a few pellets and 2 or 3 prawns a day. These are just the frozen prawns that I've defrosted a bit. He loves them and it seems like he'd eat 20 of if I threw them in. Anyway, would the 2 or 3 a day be enough for him how many prawns would you feed an adult daily?

Thanks for the help

Alan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2012 21:58 #2 by davey_c (dave clarke)
how many is a few?? doesn't sound like he's getting enough to me but ian may be able to give you more info because i only have a 6" aro....

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
06 Apr 2012 22:23 #3 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Davey_C's 6inch Arowana would need proportionally (pound for pound) more than an 18 incher, and would need more regular feeding.

At 18 inches it may have some more growing (I say 'may' as not all will get to 3 foot in captivity), so you need to feed to maintain the fish and to help it grow. As it approaches full size, it is mainly feeding to maintain its normal metabolism (hence proportionally less and less food).

There is a danger of overfeeding a larger arowana.
I would recommend feeding it several times per day, and not too much at one time.
If you feed it 2 or 3 prawns, and it is happy to take the same number later in the day then feed the extra time. Don't overfeed at once.
Depending on the pellets, they can also give a really good enhancement to the diet.

I would, though, say give the fish a rest now and then. Maybe feed once a day for day of the week, or miss a day once a week as it gets bigger.

Ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
07 Apr 2012 11:51 #4 by davey_c (dave clarke)

Davey_C's 6inch Arowana would need proportionally (pound for pound) more than an 18 incher, and would need more regular feeding.

i understand that alright but surely thats not a substantial daily meal for its size :unsure: ?

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
07 Apr 2012 12:25 #5 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

i understand that alright but surely thats not a substantial daily meal for its size :unsure: ?

For an 18 incher, it would need more food daily as it is probably still growing.

More regular feedings of a prawn or 2. Not a whole load thrown in at once.

How many per day exactly?.....there is no rule to that as too many other factors come into play.

That is why it should be little and often. If the fish are not eager to grab the food, then they've had enough.
Once the fish starts to be a little sluggish in going for the food, then stop feeding for that day.
Keeping the fish 'on its toes' is a good way of keeping the fish healthy.

It would be quite surprising how little a full grown fish would need to sustain itself.

Large arowana's, if settled in and comfortable with their settings, will tell you if they need more food.
They will beg.

What is more important than quantity of food is quality of food. The vitamin content, for example, should be appropriate.
If a fish is loaded with a load of food that does not contain the right micronutrients OR if it contains too many contraindications (things that prevent uptake of nutrients) then the fish cannot fully use the food it is fed anyway.

Ian

More
07 Apr 2012 14:04 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I forgot to mention, as is a point for feeding Arowana's in general, the first year of growth is the most important time.
The fish should reach about 12 inches at least within the first year....if it doesn't then it may have long-term problems.

ian

More
07 Apr 2012 16:15 #7 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Great thanks for all the info. I'll start giving him one or two prawns in the morning as well.

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds