Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

feeding problems

More
07 May 2012 09:04 #1 by paulv (paul vickers)
hi every body, any one got any advise on how to feed an african buttery fly fish, ive tried dropping food in front of its mouth but it ignores every thing. any help please before it starves to death

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2012 17:15 #2 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Moved to the right section

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
07 May 2012 17:37 #3 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
have you tried frozen/live food as i think i have heard somewhere before that they tend to do best with frozen/live feeds

i could be wrong but i think Ian keeps or used to keep these so i would say you would be best to send him a PM and have a chat with him or maybe when he is on and has time he could reply to you here

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
07 May 2012 18:39 #4 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
I had one a couple of years ago and I fed mine live crickets one of the only things he would accept

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 May 2012 18:48 - 07 May 2012 18:49 #5 by Alex (Alex)
Replied by Alex (Alex) on topic Re: feeding problems
Hi Paul,

I used to keep two of these fish and feeding was a little tricky at first.

Sometimes they get fed live crickets at the fish shop so they wont be used to regular fish food. What are you trying to feed it at the moment? Try frozen foods like blood worms... if that doesnt work try live food.

If you dont mind getting live food crickets would be the perfect meal for them. I had to fed mine worms for the first few weeks and then i slowly got them on to frozen foods... after a few months i got them eating cichlid pelets.

Best thing to do is shake the food in the water (If its not live)... They will sense the vibrations and go into hunting mode... It best not to have too much surface current with these fish.

If its new it might still be settling into the tank... try make sure it has somewhere to hide so i can feel comfortable... floating plants and tall plant work great.

Good luck!!
Last edit: 07 May 2012 18:49 by Alex (Alex).

More
07 May 2012 19:10 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
As Alex says, they can be tricky.....sometimes you may even get one intent on suicide.
Generally, though, they can be tempted to take flak food if the water conditions are correct and they have settled in.

Ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
12 May 2012 10:00 #7 by paulv (paul vickers)
good morn to all and thanks very much for the replys to my hungry butterfly fish, just an update, ive tryed frozen foods,even large white shrimp, flake food, pellets, live brine shrimp, but he ignores everything that floats past his nose. i have about one third of my tank surface covered in floating plants so he has many places to hide and relax. i have him a week now and i have not seen him eat. how long can they live without eating ???????. im off work today so im going try get live crickets. maybe some of ye know where in dublin i can buy crickets??. i have 12 hatchets and they all do great. im thinking of trying garden worms see what happens. the butterfly are an amazing fish to see id buy more if i can find the secrete of feeding them.thanks again for the help.

More
13 May 2012 08:06 #8 by paulv (paul vickers)
good morn all. just to let ye know i got live black crickets yesterday and wow my butterfly fish is showing a different side now, activly eating all she can of these little critters, even competing with the congo tetras,now all i need to do is train her into eating flake food as catching crickets with a twezers is some job haha.

More
13 May 2012 08:48 #9 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
Good to here she is now eating for you crickets are hard to catch I used a pair of tweezers as they like to nip your hand best of luck with your butterfly fish and hopefully you will get her to accept other foods

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds