Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Feeding Daphnia

More
30 Sep 2012 12:18 #1 by ghart (Greg Hart)
Yesterday Ian Compton gave me a large supply of Daphnia from his pond out front of the shop in the Aquatic Village. Thanks Ian.
I have them in an old tank in the back garden now and would like to keep them going for a good period of time as fresh food supply for my fish.
I notice that the water is already starting to clear meaning their food source is running out.
Any advise from the experts on the forum about how and what to feed them.
Is there a simple formula.
I know Ian would give me more but would like to keep my current supply going for at least a couple of weeks.

Greg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2012 12:31 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Feeding Daphnia
There you go Greg, from the excellent series of articles by Puddlefish on foods and feeding.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/artic...udy-of-daphnia-pulex

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
30 Sep 2012 12:53 #3 by ghart (Greg Hart)
Replied by ghart (Greg Hart) on topic Feeding Daphnia
Thanks John for the reference.

Greg

More
30 Sep 2012 12:56 #4 by davey_c (dave clarke)
i use to get algae growing in a 3l plastic bottle and then pour the green water into the daphnia which kept them going. i kept refilling the 3l bottle and once there's some algae in the bottle i doesn't take very long for the water to go green... although in saying that it wouldn't be as green as cultured green water but i found it good enough

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
30 Sep 2012 13:28 #5 by ghart (Greg Hart)
Thanks!
I have also come across this reference..
www.aka.org/wako/DaphniaCultureMadeSimple.htm

Greg

More
03 Oct 2012 16:23 #6 by ghart (Greg Hart)
I purchased some Spirulina powder from a health store and it is working out great for feeding the daphnia and keeping them alive in my old fish tank in the garden.
I will know for certain after the next couple of weeks if the stock is still alive.
The fish go mad for the live daphnia which I now feed once a day.

Greg

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds