Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

breeding locusts

More
07 Jul 2013 09:51 #1 by paulv (paul vickers)
Hi all, anybody ever try to breed locusts for feeding to large fish?. ive a 2ft tank doing nothing so im trying to breed locusts in it. I bought 3 tubs of adults about 15 to 18 in total, i put a layer of sand and lots of bog wood as hides, feeding lettuce. the tank has 2 t8 lights in the lid for heat. ive looked up some web sites and it seems easy enough to breed them but any advise ye might have will be a help. thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2013 10:17 - 07 Jul 2013 10:25 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic breeding locusts
I expect IanM will be the best man to talk to you about this, doubtless he'll reply to you but in the meantime here's a link to his article on breeding springtails:

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/artic...ding/134-springtails

John

I thought I remembered Ian writing about Locusts,

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...ocust-breeding#96559

He also has another thread for breeding Crickets too, I'll see if I can find a link to that.
It wasn't a full thread, but he did reply to Joey regarding Crickets:

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...eding-crickets#96573

He seems to dissuade this activity in favour of Locusts though.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 07 Jul 2013 10:25 by JohnH (John). Reason: Addition

More
07 Jul 2013 10:34 #3 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic breeding locusts
Sorry to thread hijack but yesterday, in my back Garden, for the first time ever, I saw a Grass hopper which thrilled me as I love the sound of Crickets and Grasshoppers. Is there any where you can buy or get species that will survive and use my yard as their Home?

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
07 Jul 2013 10:51 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Homer, I would recommend setting up a locust viv in your front room. These make AbFab superb pets, and you can even let some free-roam (just make sure they get food).

On the locusts, Paulv, the ones bought from pet shops for reptile feeding are the ones to use (some locusts are toxic).
Lettuce is not really a good food for them. You could use cabbage (but it will stink), and it is no way as good as their aphrodisiac food = fresh shoots from garden grass.

I don't bother anymore to raise the young to anything more than small hoppers as it is simply not worth it for me as the main species that I feed adults locusts to are tarantulas (and they do not need feeding that often).

Another great food are Dubia Cockroaches. No smell (fed on oranges and carrots), extremely nutritious, and nice pets as well.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
07 Jul 2013 11:11 #5 by paulv (paul vickers)
many thanks ian and john, seems my fish tank is not right yet for the locusts but now ive read ian's write up on them i can set up my tank the right way and hopefully will have lots of my own soon to feed. i buy the adults from a garden center that sells them for feeding lizards, im buying them over a year now the snake head goes mad for them so as all the other top feeding fish, my aro will jump and take them from my fingers. a box is costing my 4euro for about 6 or 7 adults, so breeding my own makes total sense, mayb even have some to sell to others ;). I did try feeding roaches but the fish dont like them as much as they have hard exo skeletons and have nasty bites to the fishes mouths.

More
07 Jul 2013 11:17 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Your tank may be suitable, it is just that I find my method to be the best.....used it for decades...as it gives enough ventilation and allows the high temps.

Was it the Dubia Roaches you tried? or another species?

With the Dubia roaches, you have the added advantage of being able to give the roaches a good variety of food which is then transferred to the fish when they gobble the insects.

ian

More
08 Jul 2013 09:02 #7 by paulv (paul vickers)
to be honest ian i dont know what kind of roaches they are, i got them in orchard garden center, they have a big range of live food and on my way to celbridge to do the weekly food shopping so easy for me to get to.ill have to change my small tank to better suit breeding locusts. i prefer locusts both for the fish and for me to catch as they just sit there and can be handled so easy, i use them as part of the fish diet along with shell fish/ king prawn mix i get in aldi's. mayb u have some heat pads in your shop, i must drop in soon and have a chat :)

More
08 Jul 2013 09:54 #8 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

to be honest ian i dont know what kind of roaches they are, i got them in orchard garden center, they have a big range of live food and on my way to celbridge to do the weekly food shopping so easy for me to get to.ill have to change my small tank to better suit breeding locusts. i prefer locusts both for the fish and for me to catch as they just sit there and can be handled so easy, i use them as part of the fish diet along with shell fish/ king prawn mix i get in aldi's. mayb u have some heat pads in your shop, i must drop in soon and have a chat :)

If I had a shop, you'd be welcome to pop in for a chat. :lol:

There is another person who has long hair, play guitar, has the same "Ian" name as me and is also (maybe or maybe not) a bit mad who does have an quatic shop.....we're easy to tell apart: I'm the good looking one. ;)

ian

More
08 Jul 2013 11:05 #9 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

Homer, I would recommend setting up a locust viv in your front room. These make AbFab superb pets, and you can even let some free-roam (just make sure they get food).

I can just imagine trying to get a pass for this in my house .. :- D I V O R C E

More
08 Jul 2013 12:14 #10 by davey_c (dave clarke)

There is another person who has long hair, play guitar, has the same "Ian" name as me and is also (maybe or maybe not) a bit mad who does have an quatic shop.....we're easy to tell apart: I'm the good looking one. ;)

ian

Just 2 add onto what ian said although it may not have been ment as a suggestion but the other ian doesn't keep these sort of foods in his aquatic shop but also has a shop in old bawn where he keeps them instead... not to be a smarty pants but i've been told what is said to customers who assume he still keeps them there and calls in for some.... what I'm saying is yes he is also mad but a good source of a bit of banter :lol:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
08 Jul 2013 14:07 #11 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

I can just imagine trying to get a pass for this in my house .. :- D I V O R C E

You are soooooo wrong about that.

Here's my lovely lady and one of the free-roaming locusts in our place: that is called love.

File Attachment:

More
08 Jul 2013 14:11 #12 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

Here's my lovely lady and one of the free-roaming locusts in our place

in china would that be lunch ?

More
08 Jul 2013 14:31 #13 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

What?
Curried Justine? I'm gonna tell her what you said :P

More
08 Jul 2013 14:43 #14 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

What?

sounds tasty .. ho ho

More
08 Jul 2013 15:40 #15 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

What?

sounds tasty .. ho ho

I'll tell her that as well.

More
09 Jul 2013 09:11 #16 by paulv (paul vickers)
There is another person who has long hair, play guitar, has the same "Ian" name as me and is also (maybe or maybe not) a bit mad who does have an quatic shop.....we're easy to tell apart: I'm the good looking one.

WHAT another ian with long hair and plays guitar; que the music to the twilight zone :S . the good looking one is a deep well of info on all things fishy.

More
09 Jul 2013 10:47 #17 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

There is another person who has long hair, play guitar, has the same "Ian" name as me and is also (maybe or maybe not) a bit mad who does have an quatic shop.....we're easy to tell apart: I'm the good looking one.

WHAT another ian with long hair and plays guitar; que the music to the twilight zone :S . the good looking one is a deep well of info on all things fishy.

I haven't been over to see the other Ian for a while now.....but always a great chat we have. The less-good looking one also has a wealth of knowledge, and I do think his middle-aged-man car may be faster than mine.

More
12 Jul 2013 20:21 #18 by paulv (paul vickers)
ive given up on using the fish tank to breed the locusts, its to big and not easy to ventilate, instead im trying to buy second hand vivarium with proper heat mats and ventilation. i still have maybe 8 or so adults alive in the tank so hopefully soon i can move them into a proper set up and take it from there. more to follow.

More
30 Jul 2013 11:57 #19 by paulv (paul vickers)
An update on my attempt to breed locusts, i bought second hand reptile equip on adverts.ie and bought 3 boxes of 5 star adults about 18 to 20 and set them up in the vivarium. within a week 6 or 7 died, most likely from transport from the UK to the shops here, the others are all developed into winged adults and feeding very well on cabbage and grass, i also bought some insect vitamin powder from a reptile shop, the ground is fine desert sand, a large heat mat is stuck on the under side of the tank and a heat lamp over the middle. im using the heat mat only as i found the lamp is giving a temp of over 40c in the tank. I put 3 old live food containers filled with wet garden compost that i spray every day to keep moist so the females will lay there. From what ive read online it takes about a month for the adults to breed and lay eggs and another 2 weeks for the babys to hatch, so hopefully in another month ill have my first babys. This is mostly a learn as i go process so hopefully my rather attractive winged locusts like their new home and will make lots of babys.

More
30 Jul 2013 11:59 #20 by paulv (paul vickers)
i did have some pics with my last post but for some reason they did not upload :hammer:

More
31 Jul 2013 10:46 #21 by paulv (paul vickers)
another go at uploading the pics.

More
31 Jul 2013 10:48 #22 by paulv (paul vickers)
failed again, maybe some body in admin can help me out.

More
01 Aug 2013 09:30 #23 by paulv (paul vickers)
pics

Attachments:

More
01 Aug 2013 09:38 - 01 Aug 2013 09:45 #24 by paulv (paul vickers)
more pics after resizeing them.

Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Aug 2013 09:45 by paulv (paul vickers).

More
01 Aug 2013 09:46 - 01 Aug 2013 09:48 #25 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic breeding locusts
Paul,
Please follow the link below.
If plan 'a' doesn't work there's always plan 'b'.
John
www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum.../132058-loading-pics

Edit - I see they are now appearing, great.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2013 09:48 by JohnH (John). Reason: Added a few words.

More
01 Aug 2013 09:52 #26 by paulv (paul vickers)
thanks john, ye im getting it right at long last, just had to find a resize that worked.

More
15 Aug 2013 11:25 #27 by paulv (paul vickers)
my locusts laying her eggs, there are lots laying now, im now taking advance bookings for live food :cool: opsss maybe i should not count my locusts before they are hatched :blink:

Attachments:

More
08 Oct 2013 15:48 #28 by paulv (paul vickers)
Imdoing something wrong. Hopeing Ian G can reply with best advise. Im trying to breed locusts with no success. You can see my set up from the pics. They are mating and laying eggs every where in the viv including on the floor and glass sides. I have old live food containers half filled with garden soil and sand. Every day im spraying this with water but its only the surface gets wet. So far no eggs are hatching. Its not so easy to maintain a steedy temp of 30deg, its goes from 26 to 36, the soil gets very dry and hard. Should I be pouring water into the egg laying soil to keep it all wet? Will I need a thermostat to maintain 30degs.any ideas what im doing wrong.

More
08 Oct 2013 16:34 #29 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Are you sure they are laying?

Do you have pictures of the eggs.......just to make sure that they are eggs.

The temp does not need to be constant.

ian

More
08 Oct 2013 19:07 #30 by paulv (paul vickers)
Yes ian im almost 100% sure they have eggs and layed all over the vivarium, but ill put up pics tomorrow just to be sure. Im asking help cause from what I read on breeding locust its easy and successful but im failing. Is it possible that the locusts im buying are some how made infertile so as to discourage home breeding. Thanks as always Ian for your reply and help.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds