Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Opinions on this food please

More
04 Nov 2013 08:54 - 04 Nov 2013 09:02 #1 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
Seen this in shop, not fish shop, what do ye think

Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Nov 2013 09:02 by christyg (Chris Geraghty).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2013 11:14 #2 by JohnH (John)
I've not seen that food myself Christy, but I really don't see why you shouldn't be giving it a try, after all, the bag only has 400g, so won't break the bank from a cost point of view.
And obviously - since I know you're an experienced pondkeeper you won't need me to remind you that pond fish didn't ought to be fed in the winter months anyway.
It's worth the mention all the same just in case someone reads this who isn't aware of that fact.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
04 Nov 2013 11:42 #3 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
Thanks John, the reason I posted this is because this bag of food is only E1.49 and I was hoping that someone might be able to tell from the list of ingredients, is this a viable fish food or is it complete s*#te. You know the old cliche, if it looks too good to be true.... :)

More
04 Nov 2013 12:00 #4 by Homer (Kevin)
Not sure about the ingredients but if the ash content is high, it isn't great.

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
04 Nov 2013 12:03 #5 by Homer (Kevin)

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
04 Nov 2013 12:23 #6 by JohnH (John)

Thanks John, the reason I posted this is because this bag of food is only E1.49 and I was hoping that someone might be able to tell from the list of ingredients, is this a viable fish food or is it complete s*#te. You know the old cliche, if it looks too good to be true.... :)

One thing's for certain, it won't kill them.

And, in all honesty if it's carp then they do have pretty 'solid' constitutions and will consume most things, mine certainly do.

I think the ingredients (particularly the 'chemical' ones) might be something for IGM's observations next time he's here.

That's a great price too, I'll have to keep an eye open for that food.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
04 Nov 2013 12:36 #7 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I've not heard of that brand.
I do see some reference to Birmingham UK at the bottom of the pack. It may be one of many packagings of a single "home brand" product?

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with little-known brands or homebrands or cheap brands.
Do uber large scale fish farms buy tubs of Tetra pond food from an LFS ?

It would interesting to see what the nutritional analysis is....but often the listings are a bit duff and can lead to misinterpretations of what nutritional value is to be had (eg a given percentage protein value doesn't really give an indication of nutritional value)

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
04 Nov 2013 13:42 #8 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
Just making a comparison with dog food. Cheaper brands are ok but the problem is you have to feed more to get the same nutrional results, so pound for pound, they're not really working out that cheap after all and the big downside is a lot more 'waste product' is produced.

More
04 Nov 2013 13:51 #9 by Homer (Kevin)
I have found with cheap Dog and Cat food particularly that the stools are either larger or more frequent and that the animal tends to drink more as the fillers are highly absorbent making the animal feel fuller more quickly. I can't say what this does with Fish Food but at the price you quoted, I would doubt the quality. There aren't too many people feeding dried Daphnia or tubifex to their prize Fish anymore.

H.

More
04 Nov 2013 17:28 #10 by paulv (paul vickers)

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds