Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Tropheus Diet?

More
15 Apr 2014 19:14 #1 by ger310 (Ger .)
Hi people,i'd be a bit of a newbi when it comes to Tropheus as I have only kept them briefly in the past because the set up I had them in was not suitable for them so I moved them on.
Now recently I got my hands on a nice group of Tropheus Duboisi 'Maswa' juveniles and from what I've being told by a few people is that NL Spectrum Thera a+ is the best staple food for these guys but has anybody on here got successful experience keeping these guys with any other type of pellet or flake? .......I have kept Mbuna's and a few other Herbivore species in the past without problem using JBL novo Spirulina based flake with a meaty meal every 7-10 days but i'm getting told that that might not work with the digestion of Tropheus so I would love to hear some suggestions of what people who have kept these fed them?

Also i'm getting the impression that these guys really don't like change so when I do decide on a pellet/flake should I stick to it period? or would feeding them once in a while dried seaweed,lettuce etc. not be a problem?

Any help appreciated,cheers

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2014 22:38 #2 by dubdero (derek kearns)
I kept two colonies before no issue.Fed nls as main food twice a day small feeds and a mixture of either jbl spitulina and new era ciclid pellets.key is plenty of hiding spaces once water correct etc.I by no means an expert,but I breed them easily so done something right.What type u keeping :)

More
17 Apr 2014 13:20 #3 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic Tropheus Diet?
Cheers dude,i'm keeping Tropheus Duboisi juveniles.......I have 18 at the minute but hope to get my hands on another 15 or so soon and have a really nice group,sex permitting!!

What were the groups you had your self? and did you ever try them with seaweed,spinach etc.?

NL spectrum definitely seems the main food of choice for there staple food from what i'm hearing and reading so I might stick with that!

Ger

More
23 Apr 2014 21:29 #4 by dubdero (derek kearns)
Sorry mate late reply kept mboko last time came to me in great condition didn't take much to keep them that way.kept duboisi as well before they changed strips to adulthood and grew bigger within a month of feeding nls.never seen fish to change so quick.have a book on them if around Lucan area give u a lend of.

More
24 Apr 2014 21:21 #5 by ger310 (Ger .)

Sorry mate late reply kept mboko last time came to me in great condition didn't take much to keep them that way.kept duboisi as well before they changed strips to adulthood and grew bigger within a month of feeding nls.never seen fish to change so quick.have a book on them if around Lucan area give u a lend of.

Ah nice one man,i really appreciate that and i'll take yeh up on it if i'm over your way,cheers

I have also sorted another 15-20 of these so i'll have a nice group of roughly 35 in a few weeks..........They will be a long while off the change from the really nice white spots to a cracking yellow stripe but I've being told it happens in a very short time as you say so that will be interesting :cool:

Ger

More
27 Apr 2014 09:01 #6 by Reefaholic (adrian)
Replied by Reefaholic (adrian) on topic Tropheus Diet?
i only feed mine spirulina granules..there not to keen on meaty foods as these are algae fish in the wild..i myself keep tropheus ulwile

More
28 Apr 2014 13:22 #7 by ger310 (Ger .)
Cheers for the reply........What Spirulina Granules do you feed them? Everywhere I look or anyone I speak to I am told NL Spectrum There A is the food for these guys,but I would really like to hear alternatives!!

I tried them on Dried Seaweed and blanched Spinach just as an occasional treat but they were having none of it!!

Ger

More
30 Apr 2014 15:35 #8 by Reefaholic (adrian)
Replied by Reefaholic (adrian) on topic Tropheus Diet?
i dont feed NLS for the reason that it will give them bloat through time past experience i now only feed tropical 36% super forte spirulina granules its a polish food and highly recommend as all german breeders use it as this is were i heard of it and got some sent across u can now get it in uk as a friend over there has told me !!!

ps im going selling my ulwile group soon...if you like tropheus like i do as it took me ages to source these as not 1 shop could prder these for me so got them in from germany

More
02 May 2014 17:03 #9 by ger310 (Ger .)
Cheers dude,i think I seen a video on another forum (could be wrong) of your Tropheus and they look really amazing I have to say,but i'm sticking to just a Duboisi's only tank........and I want to raise them from Juveniles to adults aswell,but good luck with your sale!!

Gas,the reason people keep telling me to feed them NLS 'Thera a' is because I will not have any bloat problems using it (and this was from some really experienced Tropheus breeders!!)!! your saying the opposite and kind of the reason I started this thread is because I always used a JBL food that is almost identical in ingredience to the Super Forte you are on about while keeping Mbuna's for years and never had one problem with bloat in all that time!! Hmmmm confusing!!!! but each to there own and whatever works,works I say!! Thanks

Ger

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds