Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

garden worms

More
02 Nov 2014 22:46 #1 by Mike53 (Michael)
Does anyone feed their fish garden worms ? Probably make a mess of the water and not sure i've the heart to drop a few live ones in

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2014 23:08 #2 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
I fed my adult albino African clawed frog on them for a while. Found out the back garden and did not make a mess as I rinsed them first and he swallowed them hole.

A friend used to feed jack dempseys on them aswell. As long as you don't over feed shouldn't be too messy. Try cut them up an rinse first. I see no difference in feeding garden worms or blood worms in terms of cruelty. But that's just me others might have a problem with it.

More
02 Nov 2014 23:23 #3 by joemc (joe mc)
Replied by joemc (joe mc) on topic garden worms
great food, whole for large fish and chopped to size for smaller ones

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
03 Nov 2014 10:46 #4 by paulv (paul vickers)
Replied by paulv (paul vickers) on topic garden worms
Great food source for any meat eating fish, ive seen online a breeding tank for tiger earth worms as high protein source. Just wash them first, gets the slime off them, feed whole so the gueey insides dont mess up the water. If you dont fancy feeding them live then freeze them first, they will die painlessly, thaw out and feed. Also if you grow your own you can add vitamin substitute and colouring to the earth worms and it gets passed to the fish but only if you feed live.

More
03 Nov 2014 12:48 #5 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
I use them occasionally
Im a keen fisherman aswell (normally fly fishing but use worms too on occasion) and think feeding them to my fish is probably kinder than using them as Bait with a hook thru them!!!!

n.b. it would be very rare I would do any type of Bait fishing and prefer the flyfishing as everythings artificial that way

More
03 Nov 2014 17:56 #6 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Replied by Eric (Eric Corcoran) on topic garden worms
Do you just rinse them under the tap or is there another way to give them a good clean ? Often thought about digging up a few for my wilds

Eric

More
03 Nov 2014 18:24 #7 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I was always led to understand stand they should be left overnight in a Tupperware container with damp kitchen roll, to allow them to, ahem, purge themselves before being given as food. Otherwise eventually the soil they've been processing ends up in YOUR tank. :sick:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
04 Nov 2014 17:15 #8 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
I just put them in a lunch box and ran it under the tap then stirred dem a bit. I never noticed and discolouring of the water or soil anywhere but I only fed 3-6 depending on size every second day probably best to take lemonjellys advice about leaving over night.

I found mine by flipping a large rock out back. If there was none I poured a litre of water on the soil before placing the rock back. Does anyone know if tackle/bait shops sell garden worms? Or is it just meal worms? The last time I was in one was about 15-16 years ago.

More
04 Nov 2014 21:09 #9 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Replied by JustinK (Justin Kelly) on topic garden worms
Purging them like Lemonjelly says removes the internal soil and whatever else they were eating.
Rinsing them in water just removes external soil and residue.

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds