Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Frozen food question

More
06 Dec 2015 23:42 #1 by DiscoStu (Marie Curie)
Hi, I have a 120l community tank. Guppies, tetras, gourami. I was just wondering if the general consensus is to defrost frozen food before feeding? Such as brine shrimp, red plankton, blood worms, mysis etc? The ones that come in cubes? Also can the leftovers be used the next day? Or should I just quarter the cube? And can I feed this once a week each or once per food type once a week? i.e. alternate days flake or frozen. Many thanks for any advice. :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2015 13:05 #2 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic Frozen food question

Hi, I have a 120l community tank. Guppies, tetras, gourami. I was just wondering if the general consensus is to defrost frozen food before feeding? Such as brine shrimp, red plankton, blood worms, mysis etc? The ones that come in cubes? Also can the leftovers be used the next day? Or should I just quarter the cube? And can I feed this once a week each or once per food type once a week? i.e. alternate days flake or frozen. Many thanks for any advice. :)

Yes always defrost it before feeding it to your fish...........I do just cup out some tank water and drop a cube into the cup,and it's defrosted in maybe a minute,stirring it a bit quickens this up..........leftovers can be kept in the fridge for maybe 5-6 days (like most 'wet' foods really) but you would probably be best to quarter it if that's possible (never tried to so don't know!!).....for the fish you have I would probably only feed them mysis once a week and the flake all other days but as you already have the other frozen food maybe feed them some of each one once a week.

The flake will give them everything they need so once a week or every 10-14 days feeding them some frozen food is more than enough.

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
07 Dec 2015 19:18 #3 by DiscoStu (Marie Curie)
Many thanks for your reply, I appreciate that. I will do that so & pull back on the frozen food. Thanks again, D

More
08 Dec 2015 18:40 #4 by CG (K Lynch)
Replied by CG (K Lynch) on topic Frozen food question
Hi,

I had the same question a while back and here's what I found-

scoop a glass of tank water and let the cube melt - pour the food through a net (apparently this takes care of unwanted contaminants) and run it through tank water - then feed.

About the amount - I have 6 corydoras, 6 neon tetras, two adult platy's and 12 fry and they go through a cube no bother without it affecting parameters.
I guess it depends on how many fish you have.

More
09 Dec 2015 19:44 #5 by DiscoStu (Marie Curie)
Hi CG, many thanks for that, I have cut back on the amount of frozen I'm feeding & am melting the cubes. I will rinse them now also. Thanks again, DS

More
01 Apr 2016 10:50 #6 by Richiecs3 (Richie Stepenske)
Buy the slabs.. They are dearer but u get far more food the cubes and more water than food

More
01 Apr 2016 11:47 #7 by robert (robert carter)
I feed my community tank the live food from seahorse as a treat ,they are a euro a pouch and come in several varieties, they keep for about a week in the fridge and my fish go crazy for them , it's just an alternative to the frozen which I find a bit messy and I would think the live food would have a higher nutritional value

More
01 Apr 2016 20:39 #8 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
I've used them little packets of live food myself. I don't know how long they do be in the packets for so I doubt the nutritional value is anyway decent.

Eric

More
01 Apr 2016 21:17 #9 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Eric, you have a point, but I just feed them as a treat now and again, main food is nls pellets

More
01 Apr 2016 21:47 #10 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
I mix some liquifry and very finely ground flake food in water and leave the worms in that for the day before I feed them to the fish. I have no idea if the worms actually ingest any of it but it's worth a try.
Also if you fancy setting up a white worm culture the ones you buy in seahorse work no problem in peat

Eric

More
01 Apr 2016 21:56 #11 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Eric, sounds like a lot of work ,just don't have the time, but thanks for the idea anyway

More
04 Apr 2016 04:47 #12 by paulv (paul vickers)
I just drop the cube in the tank, the bigger fish start breaking it up and by the time it's melted the shyer fish also get a share. I feed it once a week.

More
04 Apr 2016 20:44 #13 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
I've started using sh own brand food and have to say I'm VERY impressed with it!
Fish are healthy and vibrant! Ielt it in a jar then wash with ro in a fine net before adding to tank! Helps keep nitrates and po4 in check

More
06 Apr 2016 04:49 #14 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
I started to used the SH brand foods about 3 weeks ago as soon as they arrived down here and must admit, fishes and corals are very happy with it.

The Marine mix is a little low on the bigger chunks compared to the other marine mixes you can get but overall very happy with it and only going to be buying that frozen food from now on. hopefully they might start doing them in slabs :)

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds