Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

feeding

More
01 Mar 2016 16:45 #1 by robert (robert carter)
have been feeding my tropical tank new life spectrum for a year now , found it brilliant ,fish love it and no worries about white spot .however it was sudjested that I should vary my fishes diet so at the weekend a brought some jbl novo granocolor ,just tried it today and find it sinks very quickly compared with the spectrum , I am worried that if I use this am I going to get a lot of uneaten food in the gravel rotting away . I have a lot of bottom feeders ,clown loaches and catfish . does anyone else use this food and how do you find it . was going to mix it 50/50 with the spectrum to vary things a bit for the fish. I do feed some live food also .when a vacumn the gravel it contain almost no waste at all . thanks robert

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2016 17:12 - 01 Mar 2016 17:13 #2 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic feeding
New life spectrum in my opinion is probably the best out there...........if your fish have being fine for the past year eating it then don't change anything......it's when people change things in there tanks that problems arise!!

Buy some frozen Bloodworm and drop a defrosted cube in every 10 days if you want variety,otherwise in my opinion your just wasting money and creating needless problems for your self!!

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)
Last edit: 01 Mar 2016 17:13 by ger310 (Ger .).

More
01 Mar 2016 18:02 #3 by trent (trent)
Replied by trent (trent) on topic feeding
just imo but me and a friend have been expirmenting with jbl fect crushed up and is working very well for community fish. but have to agree nls is amazing but not cheap

More
01 Mar 2016 21:59 #4 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic feeding
I find nls is not expensive , after all its 48% protein so goes a long way, its only 2 euro dearer than the jbl for the same weight . high protein to me allows small feeds and less waste . incidently I feed a 40%protien pellet to my koi and get very little waste product in the summer

More
02 Mar 2016 04:55 #5 by paulv (paul vickers)
Replied by paulv (paul vickers) on topic feeding
Your clown loach will clean up any food from the bottom. NLS is one of the best on the market, for variety use frozen food once a week as a treat. Ian in aquatic village used to sell live daphnia, the fish go crazy for it.

More
02 Mar 2016 21:36 #6 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Replied by Eric (Eric Corcoran) on topic feeding
You should give Repashy food a try. I find it excellent

Eric

More
02 Mar 2016 22:24 #7 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Eric , it's hard to get ,has to be imported and expensive, also its 40% protein where as nls is 48% and stocked by both my local sponsors

More
02 Mar 2016 22:33 #8 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Replied by Eric (Eric Corcoran) on topic feeding
It depends on what type you get Robert. The "meat pie" is 55% protein.
Not too pricey 10:99 pound delivered for 84g of the powder which I think makes 500-600g of gelatin

Eric

More
03 Mar 2016 08:57 #9 by robert (robert carter)
but isn't not reaaly designed for a tropical community tank

More
03 Mar 2016 11:12 #10 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic feeding
My fish eat mainly bloodworms and beefheart and they grow like crazy i soak the bllodworms in vitamins before feeding, if anyone wants to bulk a fish up put them on the stendker beefheart for a while and watch them fly

More
03 Mar 2016 17:25 #11 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic feeding

if anyone wants to bulk a fish up put them on the stendker beefheart for a while and watch them fly

McGregor steroids Alan!!

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
03 Mar 2016 20:22 #12 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic feeding
Conner is on the beefheart i seen him in seahorse buying it

More
03 Mar 2016 22:15 #13 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Replied by igmillichip (ian millichip) on topic feeding
The protein assay content can be very misleading.

It would be the specific amino acids within the protein content that needs consideration.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds