Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

3 weeks away

More
23 Nov 2016 16:45 #1 by john gannon (John Gannon)
Hi guys
Im going to be away for 3 weeks shortly and am how to feed fish .im having nagging doubts about autmatic feeders .
Any advice welcome
Ps will have a neighbour lookin after dog and hamster but am not too keen on moving me tanks to his house lol

IRISH TROPICAL FISH SOCIETY CLUB MEMBER

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2016 19:45 #2 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic 3 weeks away
Hi John , i use auto feeders on both my tropical and coldwater tanks every day 365 days a year . However i have tried cheap feeders and they dont work. The feeders i use are the JBL ones , these use a screw type system instead of the cheaper ones that just turn a unit around . The JBL units arnt cheap but i have one of them running 18 mths now no problems havent even had to replace the batteries . Cost is around the 50 euro from seahorse. Hope this helps . Robert

More
23 Nov 2016 21:51 #3 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Replied by Eric (Eric Corcoran) on topic 3 weeks away
Can you leave a key of the hse to anyone with a little experience with fish so they could pop in a couple of times a week to feed them ?

Eric

More
23 Nov 2016 23:36 #4 by john gannon (John Gannon)
Ive friends that will throw there eye over but they wouldnt know much i suppose if i take the feeding out of the equation and the just have to check the pumps r workin and no dead fish in tank theyll b ok.ive just heard so many stories of auto feeders im nervous.im not goin for another 3 weeks so maybe get them set up and tested before
Thamks

More
23 Nov 2016 23:41 #5 by john gannon (John Gannon)
I think itll be the jbl so had a look at some of the others and wasnt too impressed.
10%of this weekend

More
24 Nov 2016 04:26 #6 by robert (robert carter)
Hi John, you will be happy with the jbl unit ,very verseatile as to time of feed , number of feeds and amount of feed . Inormally feed 3 times each day , but when going on holidays reduce it to twice daily , in order to keep water quality good as no water changes for the time away , lights are of coarse on timmers . Have a look at the reviews on them on google .

More
24 Nov 2016 12:29 #7 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Replied by Jonlate (Jon Late) on topic 3 weeks away
Will it hold 3 weeks worth of food, without it seeking into one lump when it gets a bit damp.
How many weeks worth of food do you put in yours Robert?
Is that flake or pellet?

More
24 Nov 2016 12:50 - 24 Nov 2016 12:51 #8 by robert (robert carter)
Hi John , the tropical feeder feeds new life spectrum half mil pellets community food , feeding three times a day on my settings get about a month on a fill , jbl also do a tub of food that fits ontop of the food hopper that greatly increases the capacity . The feeder on the cold water tank feeds a high protien 2mm pellets and i get only 2 weeks from a fill ,but remember i am feeding much more food to the koi in that tank as looking for growth. Dont have a problem with food getting damp
Last edit: 24 Nov 2016 12:51 by robert (robert carter).

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds