Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Feeding Regimes!

More
05 Dec 2016 21:17 #1 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Just putting this out there to hear people's thoughts.
Are we feeding our fish too much and too often ???
The reason I ask is that recently my male albimarginata went 14 days without eating with no ill affects and any mouthbrooder i've bred have not eaten for between 12-20 days .
I feed once a day and if trying to breed a pair ill feed 2-3 times per day.
But with all this food are we just risking poor water quality while the fish would be just fine going for a day or 2 without food

Eric

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2016 22:23 #2 by robert (robert carter)
I for one certainly overffed particually my coldwater koi tank , three tmes a day with a 62% protien pellet food , but this is because i am looking for high growth on these fish before the spring , certainly it makes large water changes escential and is in general high maintainnce . If i wasnt looking for growth would probably get away feeding once a day . I think it really depends on what your looking for from your fish

More
05 Dec 2016 22:29 #3 by nomad (pat murphy)
Replied by nomad (pat murphy) on topic Feeding Regimes!
I,ve only fed fish in a community tank once a day for years but making sure theres a good variety of different foods being fed,agree when feeding and raising fry it would be little but often with plenty of water changes ...

More
05 Dec 2016 22:58 #4 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Once a day...Different foods every feed...Variety is very important..

I also take a feeding break once a week...

Overfeeding fish is bad (unless for growth purposes)

Keeping fish on their toes as regards food is a good thing in my opinion...I believe it stops them from becoming fussy eaters and keeps them alert and active....Overfeeding the same food on a constant basis just makes fish sluggish and unhealthy and will wreak havoc with the most important thing of all "Water Quality"

More
05 Dec 2016 23:20 #5 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
I feed 4 or 5 times a week in varying quantities and on varying days! Keep them keen but never underfed them either!

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds