Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Pass the Vinegar, Culturing Turbatrix aceti

More
23 May 2010 20:58 - 23 May 2010 21:00 #1 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Vinegar Eel or Turbatrix aceti are a small nematode worm that is both harmless and non parasitic they feed on a culture medium known as mother of vinegar an ingredient used in the making of vinegar. Vinegar today is pasteurised in much the same way as milk to rid the liquid of these small worms.
We as aquarists/fish breeders can utilise these small nematodes to feed very small fry.

Initally you will need is a small quantity of Vinegar Eel starter culture available from various sources. (Thanks Donald)

The everyday items needed to culture Turbatrix aceti are:
Jam Jars
Cotton handkerchiefs and elastic bands
Red or White Wine or Cider Vinegar
Apple Slices

All you need to start your Vinegar eel cultures

Fill the Jam Jar half full of your preferred Wine/Cider Vinegar.
Some aquarists like to dilute the vinegar with a little water but I like to use mine neat.

Next take your starter culture and pour some into the Wine/Cider Vinegar in the jam jar.

Add a slice of apple. This will sink over the comming days.

Finally cap with a slice of cotton handkerchief and secure with an elastic band.
This lets the culture breathe and stops it getting infested with flies.

These cultures are best kept warm [room temperature] in the dark and covered as mentioned above.

Harvesting

Method 1:
Pour the medium siphoned off your culture through coffee filter paper. Keep the vinegar; return this to your culture. Now rinse the eels trapped in your filter by running some fresh water through this. Finally invert into a glass of clean water. Leave them in the water to purge them before feeding.

Method 2:
Siphon off some of your culture from near the top into a long necked bottle [i.e. a wine bottle]. Fill the bottle until the vinegar just starts to enter the neck of the bottle. Then take a small amount of filter wool to form a plug. Push this down until it sits on the vinegar, leaving most off the neck empty. Fill it up with fresh water. The eels will crawl through the filter floss into the fresh water. They can then be harvested with an eye-dropper or turkey baster, and fed to your fry.

Another little livefood for small fish fry that can be cultured by the home aquarist for you to try

ATB
C

Further interesting reading
www.waynesthisandthat.com/eels.htm
Last edit: 23 May 2010 21:00 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2010 23:23 #2 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
thanks for sharing and nioce to have fineally met You!!! looking forward to doing it again soon
mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
24 May 2010 07:41 - 25 May 2010 20:35 #3 by Sofiztikated (Kenny Gibson)
You're a mine of information!

What kind of fry do you feed these to?

(OT, I see you made your own marine tank, I was just wondering if you could throw up an estimated price of the cost of the glass? Just so I can get an idea, I might, might, just try it with a freshie.)
Last edit: 25 May 2010 20:35 by Sofiztikated (Kenny Gibson).

More
24 May 2010 16:49 - 24 May 2010 16:54 #4 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Vinegar eels will almost certainly inhabit the upper water strata when fed to a tank. In small tubs of fry they will congregate all around the tub edges. These are excellent for small surface loving Killifish such as very small Nothobranchius sp. (fry)

As for the Glass, the price would depend on the size of tank you were looking to build I would have thought! LOL

Aren't you just a big mine of information!

When you've been around the game for over 40 odd years you tend to learn a thing or two. I by no means wish to come across as blowing my own trumpet, far from it, I like writing up articles and sharing what I have learnt over the years wither it be breeding, constructing or something I have modified or enhanced. A lot of my findings and knowledge on certain topics stem from listening to old aquarists long since left this life. Some folks may read these articles and express that they do or would expect to do things a little differently and they may or may not attain better results, Fairplay, I welcome comments and criticisms whole heartedly as there's always more than one way to skin a cat. If anyone does find something that they think would improve a process then start a thread or make a comment in the original post. I don't profess to know it all, I am always learning myself and always will be.
Regards
C
Last edit: 24 May 2010 16:54 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

More
25 May 2010 15:23 - 25 May 2010 15:24 #5 by JohnH (John)
C,
I am hoping the poster to whom you replied was not being facetious but merely being amusing.

Sofiztikated
If that wasn't intended to be an insult then please let Puddlefish know as it also sounded like sarcasm to some of the rest of us too.

C,
Please do not stop publishing your excellent and informative articles - they really are exactly what the Forum needs. They are greatly appreciated by everyone I have spoken to about them.

Looking forward to the next one already.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 25 May 2010 15:24 by JohnH (John). Reason: spacing

More
25 May 2010 20:34 #6 by Sofiztikated (Kenny Gibson)
Oh god, sorry, didn't mean to cause offense to anyone!

I am in awe of Colins/Puddlefish's knowledge, and honestly didn't mean it as anything else!

Original post being edited now, to take away any confusion! Seriously, don't stop with the articles, they're deadly!

More
25 May 2010 20:46 #7 by JohnH (John)

(OT, I see you made your own marine tank, I was just wondering if you could throw up an estimated price of the cost of the glass? Just so I can get an idea, I might, might, just try it with a freshie.)

Why not start a new thread asking about material costs and how to make a tank from scratch?
There are several lads on here who do make/have made their own tanks (even me) and this could develop into a nice informative post.

Just a suggestion.

John
ps thanks.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
25 May 2010 20:52 #8 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
puddlefish (Colin) Just one quick query on the original post, is it malt vinegar your using or Cider Vinegar, just wondering as i'm trying to get my hands on a starter culture of these

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
26 May 2010 16:10 - 26 May 2010 16:12 #9 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Hi Sheag39
Dont use Malt Vinegar. You need White/Red Wine vinegar or Cider vinegar available at your local supermarket. Bottles of this stuff are cheap. I'm using White Wine vinegar at the moment, Donald is using Cider vinegar, it doesn't matter that much, you can use either with good results.
Drop Donald a PM requesting a starter culture as I've only just set mine going again after comming back from Australia.
Regards
C
Last edit: 26 May 2010 16:12 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds