Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Culturing Whiteworms

More
26 May 2010 17:37 - 26 May 2010 17:45 #1 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Enchytraeus albidus (Whiteworm)

Most aquarists, if not already done so, will one day want to culture some live-foods to feed to their beloved fish. Whiteworm are just one of a myriad of nematodes that can be cultured quite easily at home.
A small amount of time and devotion and attention to detail will reward you with many sub-cultures for your fish larder.

1) Fully soak your bread, I like to use Hovis Granary, I find it's the best for my purposes.

2) Lay your saturated bread onto your worm culture.

3) Now let them tuck in.

4) Jeez..at this rate I'm gonna need another loaf :laugh:

Temp
The optimum temperature for reproduction is 15° - 21° C. Below 9°C the worms will stop breeding and above 27°C they will die.

Breeding
For breeding you will need the following:
A Container; e.g. an ice-cream tub or similar with holes punched in the lid. Pinholes will suffice so as not to attract fly infestation.
Medium; Potting Compost; I make my own with a little garden lime added, as worms do not like acid soil. Aquatic soil is also a good medium.
Food; To begin with I use granary bread cut into 1” squares and soaked in milk. when the Culture matures I then use full slices of Brown Granary Bread fully soaked in RO water, this method has presented me with my best results in terms of yield thus far.
Place your compost in your container to about three inches deep and gently firm. Spray this until it is nice and damp, but not soaking wet. Empty your starter into a depression in the centre of the container. Gently level this and add a square of bread to begin with. Cover this with a piece of glass or slate (the later works best). Cover the box as white worm’s don’t like light.
The worms will begin to slowly disperse into your culture box. To begin with the worms will eat very little and you may find that the food will grow a white hairy fungus. If this is the case carefully remove the uneaten food, taking care not to remove the worms that are attached to the base of the rotting food. Replace with fresh food. Check the culture every day to ensure that they have enough food. You will find that as the worms multiply, the food will be consumed more quickly.
You can increase the number of cultures by adding some worm filled media from your new culture once it is established (as you did to start your first culture), or upsize to a larger container.
Your culture should be ready to harvest in about 8 - 12 weeks.

Harvesting
A common fault is that people attempt to harvest too early. It usually takes at least 8 weeks for the worms to be collected in numbers large enough to both feed fish and sustain the culture.
To collect the white worm place them in a plastic tub containing a small amount of water for around 5 minutes (this is long enough for the worms to purge themselves of any compost), by this time they will have collected together in small balls and are easy to collect and feed to fish.

I hope this small article of another easy to culture livefood encourages some folks to give it a go.

Regards
C
Last edit: 26 May 2010 17:45 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2010 18:33 #2 by Sofiztikated (Kenny Gibson)
(I'm not stalking you, I swear!)

Where did you originally get the worm culture from?

These whiteworms, what are the chances of them escaping through the pin holes in the lid? I've had, in the past, some issues with live food escapees, and in one incidence, an infestation of mites, which I'm still not hearing the last about.

Roughly, what size are the worms when they are ready to be used?

Do you use these for any particular fish, or just as food in general?

(Sorry for all the questions, I'm feeling inquisitive today.)

More
26 May 2010 18:41 - 26 May 2010 18:42 #3 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Hi B) This is getting scary :P

My original culture was provided once again by Donald who always seems to have the things I need as and when I need them :laugh:

No escapees if your holes are small enough
The Worms generally can be anything from around 10mm up to perhaps 40mm this existing culture seems to provide fairly large specimens.
I use them for my Killifish but they can be utilised for any tropical fish species large enough to consume them.

Don't (as with any fish food) make them the sole order of the day but give your fish a widely diverse and varied diet as much as possible.
Regards
C
Last edit: 26 May 2010 18:42 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

More
26 May 2010 18:49 #4 by Sofiztikated (Kenny Gibson)
I keep asking what you feed these too, I keep forgetting that your a Killifish person.

Forgive my ignorance, but do these "turn" into anything else? I mean, are they a larvae stage of anything, do are they worms and only worms?

More
26 May 2010 18:55 #5 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Again,excellent post.My whiteys arnt anywhere near as prolific as that!I feed them date expired flake,maybe thats the problem?
Sofiztikated,they are not larvae,full life as worms.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
26 May 2010 19:03 #6 by Sofiztikated (Kenny Gibson)
Thanks.

That might make introducing them to the Mrs a bit easier, when I get the Clearseal set up in the new house.

Very intresting reading.

More
26 May 2010 22:24 #7 by JohnH (John)
Colin, do you get plagued with mites, or do they not get a 'look in' with such a population of worms?

I used to have no problems with mites on my worm cultures, but since coming to Ireland every culture I have tried has always had to be abandoned.

I have tried air-tight containers with the lid pin-pricked so I can't for the life of me know where they are coming from...ah, I just had a thought, perhaps the eggs/larvae are already in the soil I'm using.
Next time I shall microwave the soil for a while at full power, that should deal with them!

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
26 May 2010 22:36 #8 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Another great, straight forward article Colin. Well done.

John if nukeing dosent solve the problem try using a fine nylon stocking over the culture.

More
26 May 2010 22:43 #9 by JohnH (John)
Cheers,
I'm concerned that perhaps they are coming in with the soil/worms.
I've read that a good way to deal with them is to use a miniflame torch and sear them into oblivion...but this wouldn't really be possible with plastic boxes...
I'm remembering now that all my successful White and Grindal Worm cultures before were in open topped boxes merely covered with a sheet of glass over the food - so then there was never the humid warm perfect breeding ground for the mites.
Your suggestion would be a great compromise. Thanks,

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
26 May 2010 22:51 #10 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
just to pop in my 2 cents i used to soak the bread in old tank water and the culture just exploded growth wise, a hint i got from duzzy1 and by god it works, maybe you can test growth rates with a control and bread dipped in tank water, waiting for a new culture myself so will try this myself

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
26 May 2010 23:01 #11 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Its hard to define where the mites initiate from. I dont have any myself, totally free, and I like you John think they materialise in the soil already, possibly peat based. So you can either zap the soil or utilise another medium. Wash some worms and start a completely new mite free culture.
My preferred medium of choice nowadays is Aqua Soil available from your LFS. This is a more course grade of soil with fine pieces of gravel which in essence would keep the soil "open" and not as compact. Also its not acidic. I also keep this fairly damp so as the worms dont need to exercise too much effort to get around.
Also adhere to the temperature data in the original post. Wooden boxes with sliding lids (old pencil case design if you like) were the order of the day when I was a lad :laugh:
Regards
C

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds