Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Algae, cultivation of.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • stretnik (stretnik)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Jun 2010 19:29 #1 by stretnik (stretnik)
Algae, cultivation of. was created by stretnik (stretnik)
I'm contemplating cultivating Algae as a source of food for Otocinclus by using a glass aquarium stacked with Glass Shelves on a 22 degree angle with about 2 ins between each sheet of glass and in conjunction with sunlight using Phostrogen as a source of Macro and micro nutrients.

I will remove one sheet when covered in Algae and place in the Aquarium, then, when grazed, remove it and swap it with another sheet from the growing Tank.

Any ideas or anything I'm missing that could give me problems?

Kev.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Jun 2010 21:33 #2 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:Algae, cultivation of.
Sounds like a good idea Kevin. I was reading an article from one of the PFK guys and what he does to feed difficult algae eating fish is mix up some commercial food into a paste then spread it on stones and freeze it.

Thought it was a novel idea.

More
11 Jun 2010 21:40 - 11 Jun 2010 21:41 #3 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Aside from algae cultivation.
Have you tried Nori sheets from the local supermarket. (for sushi)
Regards
C
Last edit: 11 Jun 2010 21:41 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Jun 2010 21:43 #4 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Algae, cultivation of.
Thanks, I did hear of them but thought it was marine Algae, is it freshwater?

Kev.

More
11 Jun 2010 21:49 #5 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Correct it is marine seaweed (used as sushi wrap) but it has been reported that Otto's will adapt to this food as well as spinach.
Regards
C

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Jun 2010 21:56 #6 by stretnik (stretnik)
Cheers on that, I'll give it a go, new blood is always good, thanks for all your contributions to date, I hope you keep them coming.

Kev.

More
12 Jun 2010 10:48 #7 by Tetra (Tetra)
I remember seeing an article about removing algae from the main tank. It was for marine but may be of some use to you. The guy had 1 sheet of perferated acrylic sheeting at an angle in a salt bucket with a 6500k led light above it on for 24hrs the water would trickle down the sheet not using any of the oxygen in the water as it was half in half out of the water of the bucket (similar to a trickle filter).It was easy to make and it did remove or grow allot of algae Ill try find the article as it describes it allot better than me.
Padraig

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Jun 2010 10:55 #8 by stretnik (stretnik)
Thanks P for the info.

Kev.

More
12 Jun 2010 12:54 #9 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Sounds like a great little project you have planned there Kev. I simply cant grow algae in my planted setup, not enough nitrients left for it after the plants get their share so my Ottos need plenty of wafers. I have some Nori sheets there for my marine setup but never thought anything in the freshwater tank would take to it. Might just give that a go...

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
12 Jun 2010 22:58 #10 by jamie (jamie)
howya lads i know its on the subject but in a way slightly off it, but i find i get a lot of algae build up on the front glass of my tank, just wondering is there a way to reduce it, currently have my light timed for 6 hours a day with very little natural day light hitting my tank, probably aint a way to reduce it but thought if i dont ask ill never find out??

regards jay

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds