Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

where to buy bloodworms ?

More
13 Jun 2010 22:51 #1 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
anyone know any shops(i presume fishing tackle shops) that sell bloodworms ? save me searching
thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2010 23:07 #2 by convict84 (sean farrell)
dont think tackle shops sell them,seahorse is selling live bloodworm,

More
13 Jun 2010 23:16 #3 by joey (joe watson)
convict you sexy b*stard! thanks for the heads up i will be taking a trip up there on the morrow now. do you know how to cultivate a colony by any chance?

More
13 Jun 2010 23:38 #4 by convict84 (sean farrell)
i dont but i heard its not worth it

More
14 Jun 2010 02:34 #5 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
14 Jun 2010 09:06 #6 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
i suppose i really meant earthworms...

More
14 Jun 2010 09:30 #7 by JohnH (John)
Most tackle shops sell worms, but the term earthworms covers a very wide range of types.
Most of the cultivated worms in tackle shops are Dendrobenas and hybrids which I have used for many years to feed to my fish.
You will find no end of information on the web regarding cultivating them too. They aren't at all hard and you'll find them an excellent way to use up all of your vegetable waste, especially tea bags, lettuce leaves etc etc. I have found though that they will not consume any 'meaty' waste - even though the websites say different.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
14 Jun 2010 10:43 #8 by joey (joe watson)
john i hear some form of worm from tackle shops come dyed and these additives are not safe as a fish food? also they come in sawdust to dry and harden the skin for hooking, and its best to put them in oats to soften for aquarium fish. true?

More
14 Jun 2010 11:25 - 14 Jun 2010 11:26 #9 by JohnH (John)
I have never seen dyed worms, but maggots (chandlers) are often dyed - perhaps they've started dying worms too?
Anyway, dampened (but not wet) bran will help them become a little softer alright - they will probably eat some of it too - but you will have to be certain they are in a pretty well sealed (but obviously not airtight) container as they are very good at escapology.
Moistened newspaper (but not pages from magazines as that is too 'glossy' ) would also work, and although it is often recommended to 'toughen up' worms, so would dampened (again not wringing wet) moss.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2010 11:26 by JohnH (John). Reason: another unwanted 'smiley' got rid of

More
14 Jun 2010 12:06 #10 by Gerry The Chip (Gerard)
Most lfs are doing Frozen bloodworms, buy only recently Seahorse have started selling live bloodworms.
Gerry

More
15 Jun 2010 03:42 #11 by joey (joe watson)
got a bag of brine shrimp today instead of the worms. all gone in a second the hungry mob went mad for em

More
19 Jun 2010 10:53 #12 by Gavin (Gavin)
Damian_Ireland wrote:

i suppose i really meant earthworms...

we sell live earthworms pesticide free at fins fur feathers.

dont make me come over there.

More
21 Jun 2010 11:33 #13 by joey (joe watson)
gavin would it then be possible to start a colony from that?

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds