Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

nls food article

More
27 Jun 2010 15:23 #1 by convict84 (sean farrell)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2010 15:39 #2 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Maybe you would like to tell us what you make of it first?

Otherwise I don't see the point on the link.

Daragh

• eire1978 (eire1978)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Jun 2010 15:47 #3 by eire1978 (eire1978)
Replied by eire1978 (eire1978) on topic Re:nls food article
hello convict i find this food great,all the fish eat it,i use the one with extra galic

More
27 Jun 2010 15:53 #4 by Gavin (Gavin)
Replied by Gavin (Gavin) on topic Re:nls food article
It's a good article..written by the guy who made a very good food.Weird.

dont make me come over there.

More
27 Jun 2010 16:05 - 27 Jun 2010 16:06 #5 by convict84 (sean farrell)
i see your point daragh,while i find nls the best i can buy for my fish,i dont use the same food every day,its like me having prime steak every day,you would get bored quick enough, How can any food be ideal for a carnivour and a herbivour cichlid? But yep somehow I have fed this stuff to both without problems. Dunno I think I would prefer em to come clean and produce vegi diets and carnivour diet foods as well as this stuff that seemes to work fine for both (but clearly a compromise). I guess it says more about the adaptability of cichlids often struggling to survive on very poor wild type foods to adapt to a rather good compromise. But a compromise it clearly is?
Last edit: 27 Jun 2010 16:06 by convict84 (sean farrell).

More
27 Jun 2010 17:04 #6 by joey (joe watson)
thanks to gavin i now try to use as much of this food as possible and most is taken very quickly by all fish. well recommended, cheers. even though they have a wide range available it would be nice, as someone said, to have veggie ones so the fish do get a variation in food (i find my bala sharks seem to change what they like every week) and the size of floating pellets, i use hikari cichlid for the sharks but the nls jumbo fish floating is too big for them

More
27 Jun 2010 20:43 #7 by DJK (David Kinsella)
I only started using NLS 1mm sinking pellets since the beginning of the year. I think my fish are the better for it since using this product or else I'm possibly a better fish keeper now, but most likely the former!!

My only concern with it is I'm not totally convinced an adult cardinal tetra is able to get one into its mouth so I add a little Tetra Pro to be sure they get something and also for a bit of variety.

Another point to mention is their very confusing packaging. I have 2 containers here, 1 bought here(Hormone-free colour enhancing pellets) and another I bought in the USA(Natural colour enhancing pellets). They have some different ingredients and slightly different nutritional analysis.

Dave

More
27 Jun 2010 22:04 #8 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
its a good article but i would find myself stocking a variety of different foods , frozen, live and dry and try to shake it up by never feeding the same food 2 days in a row, i do this for two reasons 1) variety of foods as fish aint gonna be eating the same food in the wild day in day out, 2)if a fish gets used to only eating one kind of food in this case nls, if nls went bust and the fish refused every other food well it could be the big pond in the sky, and to agree with convict i'd love steak every day but no doubt after a few weeks of it the appeal of a nice juicy steak dinner would wear off very fast

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds