Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Brandling/Tiger worms

More
28 Jun 2010 20:14 #1 by DJK (David Kinsella)
Just wondering has anybody tried these worms with their fish? They are the type used for wormeries that deal with household food waste.

I have found after 3 attempts now that my fish are are slowly getting used to them after been a little unsure at first. Its a community tank made up of Cardinal Tetras, Bettas, Angelfish, Corydoras, Odessa Barbs, Plec, and a few livebearers. The corydoras are quite fond of them while most of the others will just pick at and play with the cut up and cleaned pieces.

Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2010 22:33 #2 by JohnH (John)
Dave,
I often fed these to larger fish - Cichlids etc - as whole worms.

I think that if you persevere you should be alright eventually but just make sure that in the meantime you remove all uneaten pieces and don't leave anything to start to rot away unnoticed.

I note you are cleaning them, I found this especially important with Brandlings as they emit a yellow extrusion through the skin which, if it tastes as vile as it looks, could well dissuade Fish from eating them!

Try to get the Dendrobaena-type worms from a tackle shop as these are hybrids and emit little if any 'fluid'.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Jun 2010 07:02 #3 by Alex (Alex)
Replied by Alex (Alex) on topic Re:Brandling/Tiger worms
Hey,

I have a wormery and I also feed my larger fish and Eel tiger worms.. I always leave them in a container with wet tissue overnight, they will release all the gunk.

More
29 Jun 2010 15:11 #4 by Dan Dan (Danny Murphy)
I feed these worms whole and chopped to my fish. I don't no how true it is but I was once told that the fish love the yellow fluid that comes out of them.
I also use the worms from the tackle shops and i don't notice any difference to the way the fish eat them.
There both gobbled up the second they hit the water.

Dan.

More
29 Jun 2010 19:01 #5 by DJK (David Kinsella)
Thanks for the replies.

Without a doubt they are certainly more suitable to larger fish. Even a skinny worm when chopped up is still a little too big for the fish I keep, but the Corydoras will still chomp away until the section of the worm becomes beaten up enough for them to manage more easily.

Dave

More
29 Jun 2010 20:54 #6 by JohnH (John)
Dave,
If you can get a really sharp pair of scissors you can keep 'snipping' until all pieces are the size you want them to be - conversely you could use a safety razor blade (you should be able to get them in model-making shops, it's like a razor blade with one half covered).
Use it against a block of wood with the worm in between - similar result.
John

ITFS member.

More
29 Jun 2010 21:40 #7 by convict84 (sean farrell)
what bait shops would you get these in?

More
29 Jun 2010 23:44 #8 by JohnH (John)
My local Fishing Tackle Shop sells them - so you should find them in a Tackle Shop near you, otherwise the Organic Worms Gavin's selling should be good.

John

ITFS member.

More
30 Jun 2010 01:30 #9 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
an alternative is to use maggots, can be got from any fishing tackle shop, dirt cheap and my guys go mad for them

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds