Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

NLS for large and small?

More
18 Oct 2010 23:56 #1 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Hi folks. I recently moved on my Oscar to a new home and had just begun feeding him NLS for large carnivores. Thing is, this stuff was pricey and it was bugging me just having it sitting there so I tried crushing it down a bit and feeding it to my Tiger Barbs who went nuts for it. All the ingredients seem fine, and I know this stuff is supposed to be the dogs but im wondering if will this be a good staple for them in the long run as it was designed for large fish?. Its a big tub so will last ages.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2010 06:58 - 19 Oct 2010 08:14 #2 by dar (darren curry)
would it matter if it was for large fish?, your gonna be feeding smaller portions. i have these little ball type food but they are too big for my tetras so i got out the sea salt shaker put them in it and feeding time is great i give it the oul ainsley harriot treatment a bit of suzie salt and percy pepper

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic
Last edit: 19 Oct 2010 08:14 by dar (darren curry).

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Oct 2010 08:39 #3 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:NLS for large and small?
Those Pellets are mainly Carnivore orientated while Barbs etc need a percentage of Plant material in their diet, I'd suggest a Pepper grinder or Mortar and Pestle to grind the large and a suitable Pellet together as a blend, feed the larger grinds to the Fish and save any dust as food for any Fry you might be lucky to breed.

Kev.

More
19 Oct 2010 08:42 #4 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
My concern is if I may give them fatty liver or other digestive problems with it as it was made to feed the bigger fish. Reckon Im just being a little too cautious. My last run with Tiger Barbs was a disaster (aeration issue) and want to do it right with them this time. Unfortunately I dont have a NLS tub for small fish to compare the ingredients and such but no doubt google can help there ;) .

Jay

Life

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Oct 2010 08:53 #5 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:NLS for large and small?
You could buy the NLS for Veggie loving Malawii Fish etc and Blend the two.

Kev.

More
19 Oct 2010 08:57 #6 by dar (darren curry)
wat about throwing some fresh veg in along side it?

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
19 Oct 2010 09:03 #7 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
I will look into that Kev, good idea. Im certainly gonna see if I can get away with this on its own first as it does have spirulina in it too. Lol, its been a while since I set up a tank for small fish and I love this feeling of trepidation that one gets when starting a new venture. All this second guessing and research makes for half the buzz in this hobby imo :laugh: .

Jay

Life

More
19 Oct 2010 09:13 #8 by Peteemax (Pete Maxwell)
Pm sent

Pete Maxwell

ITFS Member

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds