Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Food for fish?Whats on your menu ?

More
30 Oct 2010 20:35 #1 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
If we had steak n chips everyday for dinner,I doubt we be too impressed after a week of it.So what do our fish make of our menu that we feed them with everyday?How many of us actually think about what we feed our fish? Do we vary it,do we remember that some fish prefer different food over others.

Colin has done some super articles and indeed there shouldnt be any excuse for us not to vary the fishes diet. Some prefer live foods,others will eat anything!!

So what do people feed their fish? What would a typical week be in your aquarium menu ? Id love to hear what you feed your fish. Im particularly interested in what people feed their corys,given their mouth shape!! So come on,do tell me whats being served in your tank tonight!!

Gavin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2010 20:48 - 30 Oct 2010 20:52 #2 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Great topic Gav.

My freshwater settup contains barbs and loaches and their daily rations are NLS pellets crushed to bites size bits, daphnia and bloodworms. All the fish in this setup are juvies and are fed three times a day.

Now the fun bit. My marine setup contains carnivores :) . I keep a dogface puffer, a niger trigger, a remora and a moray eel. The puffer and trigger get fed three times a day with muscles, cockles and prawns. The remora would take anything and only stops feeding when I refuse to give it anything. I feed it prawns and krill cubes. The cubes are cut in two, as are the prawns as this fish does not chew and swallows its food whole. I supplement these feedings with NLS large pellets for the vitamins they contain. The Moray is fed every other day on prawns and squid rings. It would take food every day but its not healthy to do that with them. Its a bit of an art but I use a claw to target feed them so its a system that works, for me anyway.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2010 20:52 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes). Reason: ommision

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Oct 2010 22:27 - 31 Oct 2010 08:45 #3 by Alex (Alex)
Replied by Alex (Alex) on topic Re:Food for fish?Whats on your menu ?
Well I have barbs, corys, pleco's, loaches, cichilds and tetras all in the same!

I feed them flake food, little red granular food (Perfect for corys's), Cichlid sticks, Bloodworms + other frozen foods, I feed a range of fruit and veg to my pleco n loaches on weekends and i also feed them homemade food.

I only really feed them 5-6 days a week...

My fish have a better diet than me...:S !!
Last edit: 31 Oct 2010 08:45 by Alex (Alex).

More
30 Oct 2010 22:49 #4 by joey (joe watson)
tanganiykan gets nls thera 1mm pellets and spirinula flakes
planted community gets same pellets, jbl novoplec xl, nls flakes and the odd bloodworm
puffer gets bloodworm, white shrimp or live shrimp
big tank gets nls thera pellets, novoplec xl, hikari cichlid staple, bloodworms, mysis, live shrimp, peas, corguette, prawn, mussel, spiders in any combination

all tanks fed once daily

More
30 Oct 2010 23:31 #5 by dar (darren curry)
pellets, 2 different flake foods, crushed up algae wafers, wat ever veg is at hand and chopped up prawn
i feed them twice a day, one of the above in the morning and different one in the evening, i try keep the prawn for every second or third day. i'm putting together a brine shrimp hatchery in the coming week to add extra variety

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
31 Oct 2010 08:36 - 31 Oct 2010 08:37 #6 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Present "Live" larder consists of.
Chlorella algae
Paramoecium
Artemia nauplli (hatched continually)
Microworm
Vinegar eel
Grindalworm
Fruitfly
Whiteworm
Mexican Gammarus shrimp
Fairy shrimp
Daphnia pulex
Moina
Any terrestial insects in the summer months (mostly midge)

Non Living larder,
Prepared Beefheart
Frozen Bloodworm, Brineshrimp, Mysis shrimp, Cyclopeeze.
Dried Flake (Tetra Min) and Red Astax Crumb (graded)

For Corydoras try the Red Astax crumb alongside Micro & Grindalworm depending on size on a bare bottom tank.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2010 08:37 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

More
31 Oct 2010 10:26 #7 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Nice supply of fresh foods, Puddlefish.

The regular larder in my stock nowadays:

Dried Foods:
Tetra Goldfish Flake; Tetra Prima; Tetra PlecoWafers; JBL Novo Tab; JBL Novo Granucolor; JBL Novo Sticks M; JBL Spirulina Flakes; Hikari Algae Wafers; Hikari Cichlid Gold; Hikari Discus; Hikari First Bites; Interpet freeze dried daphnia

Frozen:
Bloodworm; Mysis; Cyclops; Daphnia; Lance fish; Krill; ‘Discus’ mix; Rocket Veg

Freshfood:
Brineshrimp; Cyclops; (live bloodworms if I have a difficult feeder); Springtails; Crickets; Locust; Cockroaches; drosophila; the odd bit of veg.

Plus food that I have to feed to my food…eg oranges, carrot, rocket, coriander, porridge.

I have moved more towards ‘off-the-shelf’ foods in recent years in that I no longer make my own ‘special’ pastes (eg beef heart, prawns, carrots blended and made into a paste). I’m too lazy and have too many other things to do.

Between the fish, reptiles, amphibians, tarantulas etc it costs a fortune per week to feed (even though I breed a lot of my own food) and I have to do a tour of 4 or 5 different shops per week to get my food stock.

As for my diet……?? Hot curries, chocolate, cups of coffee and Tesco midget gems.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
31 Oct 2010 19:23 #8 by andrewo (andrew)
Lol what a list Ian....your fishes are surely lucky to have you as owner.

you must have an own kitchen cupboard to store all those foods :laugh:

More
23 Nov 2010 22:50 #9 by Sofiztikated (Kenny Gibson)
@igmillichip What do you feed the crickets to?

I feed NLS 1mm pellets, Spirulina Algae sinking tabs/wafers (king british as it was all I could find when I needed them), bloodworms, peas, potato peelings, tried cucumber but no takers, and just picked up some Novo Tabs. I have some frozen shrimp in the freezer, but I'm not sure how I would prep it, or even if I should use it.

I try to swap what I give some I'm not feeding the same, but some won't eat anything else.

I don't have a huge fish stock at the moment.

More
23 Nov 2010 23:50 #10 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
ok currently in my fish larder i have
flake, tablet and granule
tropical d50, tropical mixed wafers, tropical biovit, tropical malawi, tropical spirinula, jbl tanganyika, jbl discus granules, jbl novo malawi, jbl novo tanganyika, jbl novo tab, jbl novo crab, jbl novo prawn, jbl fry food, hbh angel and discus flakes, hbh fry food, golden pearls, freeze dried whole earthworms, Naturose Astaxanthan Powder, kens pure spirinula powder, Nutrafin Max Complete Sinking Tablets , Nutrafin Max Bottom Feeder Sinking Tablets. tetramin delica bloodworm, and daphina
live food,
bloodworm, tubifex, glass worm, microworm, grindal worm, whiteworm and armetia
frozen food
cichlid mix, spirinula, mussels, cockels, discus mix, bloodworm, mysis, cyclops, lancefish.
fish are fed 5 days a week and starved for 2, they never get the same food 2 days in a row and seem more active for it
so thats my food for fish

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
23 Nov 2010 23:50 #11 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
@Andrewo......divorces don't come cheap (but cheaper than keeping a large number of fish.. :)..guess what?), but my fish are my fish so they need kitchen space.

@Sofiztikated......crickets and locusts are fed to Australian saratoga (Scleropages jardinii), and the Mudskippers get a cricket treat. The larger killifish will also take a cricket or two, but that needs care to make sure the fish doesn't miss the cricket else it will pollute the water.
I have loads of reptiles, frogs and tarantulas that also gobble up the crickets.
I also breed cockroaches....but haven't tried them with the larger fish yet (they are packable with loads of nutrition, the chitin content is relatively low...and we should have a few in our diet)

ian

More
24 Nov 2010 10:54 #12 by Sofiztikated (Kenny Gibson)
Thanks, I was figuring it was a larger pred type fish.

Was just wondering, as I have crickets coming out my ears, and didn't know if I was ignoring a good fish food source.

More
24 Nov 2010 11:45 #13 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Sofiztikated wrote:

Thanks, I was figuring it was a larger pred type fish.

Was just wondering, as I have crickets coming out my ears, and didn't know if I was ignoring a good fish food source.

The Mudskippers aren't quite massive yet. As for predatory....they are the only fish that would probably prefer to have a taste of my fingers!

I only use Brown crickets (apart from micro-blacks for the frogs), so the chitin level is OK.

I'm not sure if I know you in the real world, but the username does hit a chord in my fading memory.......and I guess that you are also a reptile keeper (and if my patchouli induced memory serves me well.....does Giant Madagascan Geckos ring a bell?)

Tarantula keepers also have problems with excess crickets.....so suitable fish might be someone esle to invite for dining on the left overs.

ian

More
24 Nov 2010 12:44 #14 by Sofiztikated (Kenny Gibson)
You are bang on the money, that would be me.

More
24 Nov 2010 13:13 #15 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Sofiztikated wrote:

You are bang on the money, that would be me.

Well good to meet up with you on the forum here. :) long time and no see.

It's also good to know that my brain cells are still functioning. :)

More
25 Nov 2010 10:35 - 25 Nov 2010 10:37 #16 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)
igmillichip wrote:

I also breed cockroaches....but haven't tried them with the larger fish yet (they are packable with loads of nutrition, the chitin content is relatively low...and we should have a few in our diet)

Really? In our diet? Having tried deep-fried cockroaches, I would not recommend them to anyone who does not find themselves in the midst of a nuclear holocaust. It was almost two years ago now and I'm still picking peices of shell out of my teeth!
L
Last edit: 25 Nov 2010 10:37 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien).

More
25 Nov 2010 11:58 #17 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Xaribdis wrote:

igmillichip wrote:

Really? In our diet? Having tried deep-fried cockroaches, I would not recommend them to anyone who does not find themselves in the midst of a nuclear holocaust. It was almost two years ago now and I'm still picking peices of shell out of my teeth!
L

Yep. Really. Dubai cockcroaches would be good.

Another one which I had the pleasure of proposing is woodlice.

Going back into the early 80s, I was involved in getting approval and massive EEC funding for large-scale woodlice farming for our planned fish farm and organic agriculture/alternative technology centre.
The idea was to produce top quality food fish, and to also work on 'meat alternatives' for human consumption.

But, at the time, despite the EEC thinking it was worth giving my group 140,000 pounds for that project....people thought organic agriculture was silly and that alternative forms of energy production and energy saving were a waste of time.
(and I still think that my computer controlled windmill and energy recycling designs are good !! but never made any money as it was just so expensive for the R&D).

Nostalgia, Nostalgia....loved tha project as it brought together my two loves of biochemistry and electronics, but left me financially broke.

Would I eat cockcroaches? Ummmmm, it's like this: do as I say, not as I do :) :) (yuke)

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds