Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Just wondering...

More
15 Nov 2010 01:22 #1 by JohnH (John)
Would any of you possibly have seen anywhere which sells the sachets of Silica Gel (like you often find packed in items like cameras, MP3 players etc etc).
I'm looking to buy some to keep with my dried fish foods (flake, granules, sticks etc) to help reduce the amount of dampness which always seems to 'infiltrate' containers once opened - invariably spoiling them before they can be fully used.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2010 01:45 #2 by Penny (Aedh Byrne)
I'm almost positive that i've seen silica gel for sale in arts and crafts shops before. Not sure if they come in the little sachets or 1 big container but might be worth a shot to call up a few craft stores?

More
15 Nov 2010 01:46 #3 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I was wanting some of that for camera bags.

How about shoe shops....where people don't want to take the box.

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
15 Nov 2010 10:52 #4 by murph (Tony Murphy)
Radionics do boxes of 50 packets for €35+V.
Part no:601-041. To re-charge them, pop into a warm (110-120) oven for an hour.

More
15 Nov 2010 11:28 #5 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:Just wondering...
Thanks for the replies - I'll do some 'looking'.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
15 Nov 2010 12:42 #6 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Got two bags of the sachets from 7day shop about a year ago, to keep with camera lenses. They were pretty cheap, the postage was the dear bit.

Daragh

More
15 Nov 2010 12:50 #7 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Just a thought but why not try some of the big clothing retailers like Dunnes or Pennys and the like? Their bound to have some lying around in boxes or bags and no doubt some decent skin behind a name tag will help you out.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
15 Nov 2010 14:32 - 15 Nov 2010 14:33 #8 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)
I work in a retail shop and throw tons of them out. Can't move without tripping over them in the stockroom. I can grab as many as anyone wants and give them out? PM me.
L
Last edit: 15 Nov 2010 14:33 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien).

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds