Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

A Step-by-Step Guide to Culturing One’s Own Food f

More
14 Mar 2011 19:16 #1 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)

Notice: Undefined variable: end_tag_params in /home/web/itfsweb/www/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/src/BBCode.php on line 2719
A Step-by-Step Guide to Culturing One’s Own Food f was created by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
I have just purchased the following book published by TFH.
Culturing Live Foods - A Step-by-Step Guide to Culturing One’s Own Food for the Aquarium by Michael R. Hellweg (TFH Publications, 2008)

Normally i dont get this excited about a book, especially one that has been around for quite a while and has managed to slip under the radar so to speak. I collect aquatic books mostly killifish & insect related and I have been known to culture quite a few of my own livefoods. So this book is right up my street.
I first looked sceptically upon it, thinking that it would just be a small booklet, a few pictures and not much of substance...How wrong I was.
A full review would lead to pages of praise for this publication so to cut a long story short please read the following;
www.planetcatfish.com/books/books.php?article_id=393

I know some may already have this in their library and I may be late in comming to the party, but, like me, if you havent already purchased this excellent publication ( I seriously recommend that you do) barring that, beg, steal or borrow a copy
No genuine aquarist should be without it.
Highly Recommended
Regards
C

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2011 22:55 #2 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)

Notice: Undefined variable: end_tag_params in /home/web/itfsweb/www/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/src/BBCode.php on line 2719
Replied by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe) on topic Re: A Step-by-Step Guide to Culturing One’s Own Food f
cheers Colin, slipped under the radar :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Mar 2011 22:58 #3 by stretnik (stretnik)

Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: A Step-by-Step Guide to Culturing One’s Own Food f
Thanks Colin, how come you haven't published an all in one version?

Kev.

More
15 Mar 2011 00:02 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

Replied by igmillichip (ian millichip) on topic Re: A Step-by-Step Guide to Culturing One’s Own Food f

Thanks Colin, how come you haven't published an all in one version?

Kev.

My thoughts as well.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
16 Mar 2011 20:16 - 16 Mar 2011 20:17 #5 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)

Replied by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt) on topic Re: A Step-by-Step Guide to Culturing One’s Own Food f
Hi Guys,
I must admit I had thought about doing a small A5 type softcover publication linked to the Killifish Association I belong to. Not as a money making adventure I might add but more as a introductory addon.
I am a hobbyist that cultures the odd few things to first and foremost feed my charges, I also like to publish my findings mainly on forums for other folks to take and copy, or even better, to develop further. It all helps advance this hobby of ours and there is always one person who would say "I'd never heard of that, this is just what I need"...This is where I get my greatest satisfaction.
Sitting down to write a full blown book such as the one mentioned would take a lot of commitment and time, perhaps more than one would realise, at this present moment I don't have that luxury what with work, family & fish breeding.
So for now guys you'll just have to go with the excellent publication which I have brought to your attention
After all it is a bloody good book if I do say so myself......
Regards
C
Last edit: 16 Mar 2011 20:17 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

More
28 Apr 2011 12:09 #6 by PompeyBill (Killian Walshe)

Replied by PompeyBill (Killian Walshe) on topic Re: A Step-by-Step Guide to Culturing One’s Own Food f
You have me intrigued with all these articles and posts about live food Puddlefish so went and ordered it there! ;)

More
18 May 2011 10:07 #7 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)

Replied by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien) on topic Re: A Step-by-Step Guide to Culturing One’s Own Food f
Found it cheap enough, so bought it on Colin's recommendation. Very good.
L

More
18 Sep 2012 18:21 - 18 Sep 2012 18:21 #8 by JohnH (John)

Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: A Step-by-Step Guide to Culturing One’s Own Food f
This just arrived today from Amazon, but I should think any LFS which can get TFH books could order it.

I meant to get this book years ago but, like so many other things of great importance, it got put onto the proverbial 'long finger' and forgotten about.
I tried again subsequently to buy it, but it became unobtainable for some reason - so the idea faded yet again!

Anyway, it's here now - and what a book it is!

Like Colin said: 'no aquarist should be without it' (or words to that effect).

Unfortunately my copy has arrived damaged and so will have to go back for replacement, but I'm going to take some info down until it comes back!

Well worth a look.

Thanks to Colin for reminding me about it.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 18 Sep 2012 18:21 by JohnH (John). Reason: righted a wrong

More
18 Sep 2012 20:45 #9 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)

Replied by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan) on topic A Step-by-Step Guide to Culturing One’s Own Food f
Looks very interesting! Sorry to get of the point and back on to it,so to speak! I recently cleaned out my rainwater container,(an unused 500ltr wheelybin) the water had gone cloudy because I had left the lid of! Anyway I siphoned it down a rainwater gully and just to see what was lurking in the deep I stuck a net at the end of the tube,I found all sorts,black worm,some sort of sidewinding larve,my fish are having a field day and love the live food.

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
18 Sep 2012 20:50 - 18 Sep 2012 20:54 #10 by JohnH (John)

Replied by JohnH (John) on topic A Step-by-Step Guide to Culturing One’s Own Food f
As the author says - live food is unbeatable (actually he mightn't have said that, perhaps I said it).

When you think about it fish in the wild see very little flake or granular food.

500ltrs - that's a big wheelie bin, I'm on the lookout for something along those lines for rainwater collection.

John

edit, from your description I would guess the 'sidewinding' yokes to be Gammarus - freshwater shrimps excellent food for anything large enough to eat them.

ITFS member.

Last edit: 18 Sep 2012 20:54 by JohnH (John). Reason: bit more useless information added

More
18 Sep 2012 21:03 - 18 Sep 2012 21:07 #11 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)

Replied by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan) on topic A Step-by-Step Guide to Culturing One’s Own Food f
500ltrs is a guesstimate,wouldn't be far off anyway I'd say, as for the gammarus,they have a v shaped tail and hang around the top of the holding tank I put them in to and as soon as I go to scoop them they high tail it off to the bottom,the, one of the Peruvians I got wasn't eating very well untill I started using live,he goes nuts for the live now as I think it's helped him to take the frozen a bit better. don't think there's such a thing as useless information when it comes to water.:-)

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN
Last edit: 18 Sep 2012 21:07 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan). Reason: I found out what (sidewinding yokes are):-)

More
18 Sep 2012 21:08 - 19 Sep 2012 19:39 #12 by JohnH (John)

Replied by JohnH (John) on topic A Step-by-Step Guide to Culturing One’s Own Food f
Right, from your revised description I would say they are the pupa of the mosquito, they turn into these prior to hatching and becoming a pain in the bottom (often literally).

John

Edit:
Here's a nice little film on youtube showing the life cycle of the dreaded mosquito.

ITFS member.

Last edit: 19 Sep 2012 19:39 by JohnH (John). Reason: addition

More
19 Sep 2012 14:54 #13 by Melander (Andreas Melander)

Replied by Melander (Andreas Melander) on topic A Step-by-Step Guide to Culturing One’s Own Food f
Just got into this myself, I will be looking forward recieving a copy of this soon.

Thanks for pointing this book out!

Melander

More
19 Sep 2012 19:30 #14 by JohnH (John)

Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

John

ITFS member.

More
19 Sep 2012 20:06 #15 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)

That's them alright,awesome video!

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
20 Sep 2012 07:56 #16 by Helen P (Helen Prout)

Replied by Helen P (Helen Prout) on topic A Step-by-Step Guide to Culturing One’s Own Food f
Just a note that you can also purchase this book for just under €26 (which includes free delivery) from www.thebookdepository.co.uk, as opposed to the €35 that Amazon wanted to charge me....,

More
20 Sep 2012 08:57 #17 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)

Replied by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie) on topic A Step-by-Step Guide to Culturing One’s Own Food f
i have this since it came out and is a brilliant read well worth the money

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
20 Sep 2012 22:49 #18 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

Replied by BlueRam (Sean Crowe) on topic A Step-by-Step Guide to Culturing One’s Own Food f
Was looking for this a while back as the other Sean on here told me about it and have to say he is a top man on Culturing His Own Food very good at it

I really sort order this but i have a long list off bits and bobs i want to add to my Marine tank first so if someone has a copy or even a lead off this for a while to read before i get my own copy would be great

Or will i just order it hummmm what to do? :laugh: :laugh:

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
21 Sep 2012 22:53 #19 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)

Replied by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie) on topic A Step-by-Step Guide to Culturing One’s Own Food f
Sean its a defo order, seriously its a must have to any hobbyists collection

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
21 Sep 2012 23:06 #20 by JohnH (John)

Definitely!

John

ITFS member.

More
06 Oct 2012 23:58 #21 by Melander (Andreas Melander)

Replied by Melander (Andreas Melander) on topic A Step-by-Step Guide to Culturing One’s Own Food f
Just got my copy of this book during the week and I have to concur with the creator of this post, it’s a really good piece.

It's especially good as an introduction with step by step guides on how to get started, which suits myself perfectly as a novice when it comes culturing live foods. I had a few cultures going before I got it but it definitely opens doors to other foods and methods of cultivation.

Many thanks for highlighting this piece.

Andreas

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds