Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

breeding crickets

More
15 Apr 2011 22:22 #1 by joey (joe watson)
is it worth the hassle trying to breed crickets for live food? anyone have any experience doing this and can point me in the right direction (if its worthwhile, that is)

cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2011 23:37 #2 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Breeding crickets has its problems; maybe breeding locust is better.

I have an article on the reptile forums on breeding locust....I could copy that to here.
I feed locust to fish, but not crickets.

For me, I only need micro-crickets for frogs. It is also too much hassle to bother to raise them any bigger.

For me, crickets containers tend to smell not great.

But, I'll give you a few hints on breeding crix:

a) Get a 20 litre container with a lid.
b) make small holes in the lid and on the sides near the top of the container.
c) Get a few boxes of large crickets and make sure you have male and female (the females have a long central spike at the back end).
d) Place several boxes of a mix of peat and sand (you don't need the sand though) around the container.
e) have the peat 1.5 to 2 inches deep.
f) cover the peat with a finish mesh (about the size of net curtain) to allow the females to lay the eggs but stop the males from digging and eating the eggs.

Feed the crickets well on dried bread, cricket food, dandelion, rocket.

Have plenty of raised areas.....egg boxes.

Keep the temperature in the high 20s to low 30s C.

After about 10 days, take the peat boxes out and continue to incubate at 30C.
Feed the hatchlings on the same food as the adults.

There you go.

Now, do you want my article on breeding and keeping locusts....much easier and much more rewarding.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
16 Apr 2011 00:45 #3 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: breeding crickets
"Now, do you want my article on breeding and keeping locusts....much easier and much more rewarding".

Yes please Ian, I would like to see that - even though I would be terrified that some might escape (much the same as with crickets).
Are all locusts big lads like in the shops - or are there smaller varieties?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
16 Apr 2011 07:48 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

"Now, do you want my article on breeding and keeping locusts....much easier and much more rewarding".

Yes please Ian, I would like to see that - even though I would be terrified that some might escape (much the same as with crickets).
Are all locusts big lads like in the shops - or are there smaller varieties?

John

I've put up a post www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/fforu...ocust-breeding#96559

Locusts are not the same pain as crickets if they escape.
Crickets are simply annoying, whereas an escaped locust is almost like having a free-roaming cat around the house (and without the mess of a cat).

Locusts can be a nice pet to own....I'm serious. They can be 'friendly', and an escaped locust may even decide to regularly visit you if you pick it up and hold it whilst watching TV.

Very young locusts are small, but the feeder ones are big when adult. Between the locust and grasshoppers, there are small species.

The colouration of a locust is super.

ian

More
16 Apr 2011 10:32 #5 by joey (joe watson)
cheers ian, a wealth of good knowledge as usual!
i only want crickets (small ones around 1cm) to feed the archers with. might give it a shot when the wife is not looking

More
16 Apr 2011 10:50 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Go for the young locusts instead I'd say.

It'll take a while for crickets to get to 1 cm and by that stage you'll have so many dead ones that your house may start to smell a bit like 10 pairs of crusty old socks you've left under the bed. :)

(Yep...cricket colonies can smell like a long-haul hikers dirty socks)

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds